Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Catalana #78597 06/20/10 05:33 PM
    A
    A
    BWB what a great thing! I've already spread the word in SF -- let us know how it goes!

aline #81658 07/30/10 06:47 PM
    OP Offline
    My celebration has come to an end. At the summer institute this week I spoke to two parents that have their children in the AIMS program that my son is scheduled to start in a few weeks. One of them is a middle school teacher, the other a GT Facilitator.

Their words..... It sucks! They both independently told me that they talk the talk, but absolutely DON'T walk the walk. It's supposed to be project based, they both said it is totally text book driven. Tons of homework, very little support......

I'm going to start shopping for a plan B, just in case. Any ideas?

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    BWBShari #81660 07/30/10 07:45 PM
    Aw, man. That really stinks.

I have nothing specific to suggest for a plan B. You've homeschooled, so I guess that's always there for you, right?

Is it okay if I continue to hope that their impression is wrong and it will be great for your son? frown

Kriston
    Kriston #81792 08/01/10 09:05 PM
    OP Offline
    Problem wih continuing to homeschool is his science. I flat out can't do it! We got to ....I think they were called degenerate orbitals? Maybe? and I was done.

Plan B would have to involve a science tutor or mentor or something!

Last edited by BWBShari; 08/01/10 09:06 PM.

Shari
    BWBShari #81794 08/01/10 09:18 PM
    We're getting close to that point, too, in a couple of subjects. I took math through college calculus, but there is NO WAY that I could teach math that advanced. My husband could, but time is a problem. He has none! In a year or two, we'll probably have to get a tutor or find an advanced math class for him. We're getting close on science as well. He needs more hands-on stuff, and I'm lazy...

A tutor for science seems like a perfectly reasonable part of Plan B. Go for it!

Kriston
    Kriston #81800 08/02/10 03:51 AM
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Is it okay if I continue to hope that their impression is wrong and it will be great for your son? frown

In every school every where, it's the teacher who makes the most difference. I'm hoping that by steering you into 7th grade, you are really being subtly steered to a teacher who will be a good match for your son.

Of course it's always good to have a plan B, but I'm with Kriston here. Seems like this school is worth a tiny, part time try, particularly in the subject that you might need a tutor in. I hope it isn't much of a drive. It's so yuccky to try a school and think that maybe you'll have to leave and 'teach a bad lesson' to your son about quitting - but I encourage you to do it anyway.

Is your son ready for college level classes? At the very least he can enroll in the school part time and take college level classes exclusively as soon as he is ready.

Plan B can include homeschool, auditing college classes, online classes, local mentor/tutor, or enrichment.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #81838 08/02/10 01:15 PM
    OP Offline
    Grins....

He's not ready for CC classes. But he is ready for hgh school math and science. As I avoided hard sciences at all costs when I was in school, I'm not much help to him homeschooling.

I'm beating the bushes for a science tutor just in case we get to that. I do however have my fingers and toes crossed that the school will work out.

Shari
    BWBShari #81843 08/02/10 01:35 PM
    Originally Posted by BWBShari
    Grins....

He's not ready for CC classes. But he is ready for hgh school math and science.

CC's teach high school level math and science. It's normal for students to get to CC and not really have gotten their High School subjects fully, so they take the subjects again at CC.

Because of this the CC's are wonderful at developing placement tests. Audit the class at the CC and give your own grade as a homeschooler to keep the pressure 'age appropriate.'

Make sense?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #81857 08/02/10 03:41 PM
    Q
    Q

OP Offline
    We went to orientation yesterday, school starts on Monday.

My DS has been a ball of nerves for the last week worrying abou his new school. He didn't sllep the night before and had an upset stomach on the way there. I spent the entire drive to town second guessing my decision. He walked in holding my leg and looking a little green, lost and tiny.

Two hours later, that same kid walked out of the school bouncing! He is in love with his science teacher all ready. There was a presentation on the schools "research expo" project which is done over the course of the entire semester. They explained that part of LA assignements overlap report writing for science, same with math. The math dept. teaches the kids the calculations they need to successfully work their science fair projects etc. Every class is linked together. They have a contest to make Rube-Goldberg contraptions. On and On it went... Science, Science and more Science. My kiddo wants to start now!!

Shari
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM