Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 174 of 268 1 2 172 173 174 175 176 267 268
    U
    U
    DD5 is successfully doing projects from our new Snap Circuits Green kit solo. smile

C
    C
    Originally Posted by 22B
    That is extremely impressive. You must be wondering if there are even half a dozen other 9 year olds in the UK that did at least as well. wink
    Wouldn't it be great if I could find them and put them all in one room with my DS? Mind you, they'd probably talk about Minecraft...

I get the impression that it's unusual for schools to put children in before the target age, especially so much before, so I expect that most of the children who could do that well never get the chance. I have seen of references online to two (different I think!) children doing Cayley, at some time, while one year older than DS; that's all, and UKMT publish no statistics on this kind of thing. I find it really hard to judge how unusual DS is. After the IMC, DH, DS and I concluded this year's paper had been exceptionally easy, explaining DS's high mark. But the thresholds are set as usual, so other people can't have found it so.

Originally Posted by 22B
    I'm definitely interested in how you "nurture mathematicians" as you put it in the other thread.
    This is something I witter about often - one thread with a fair bit of me opining in it is this one about how to make it work for DS-then-6-rising-7 to work independently on his own maths in the classroom. If there are things you'd like to talk about, do start a thread and I will happily witter on it and maybe others will too!

Originally Posted by 22B
    I'm not familiar with these British maths competitions so I googled them. Can he enter both the Intermediate and Senior Challenges in the same school year, so that he can attempt to make it into the Senior Olympiad but hedging with the more certain Intermediate one?
    He can and does; indeed this year he is sitting all three. Last April he scraped gold in the Junior (first UKMT experience); in November he got silver in the Senior. From there to qualifying for BMO1 is a biggish step; I don't think I'd expect him to do that next time. He might not even qualify for the Junior Olympiad this year; I need to remember, perhaps, that I was surprised he qualified for Cayley! (Although his teacher didn't seem to be, so, hmm, dunno.)

Originally Posted by 22B
    I would seriously suggest relax and have fun.

Looking at a sample Cayley Olympiad paper from the website, it seems that the solutions have a fairly sequential structure, so if you know how to solve them you ought to be able to write down your line of thought.
    Fun, absolutely. He will certainly enjoy tackling the problems; his problem is not choosing a presentation so much as the physical act of writing - this is the same kid who was difficult to get to write more than 2-3 sentences for anything not long ago! But I think he'll be fine; the expected ratio of thinking to writing is pretty good in this.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Well, there you have it. DS almost 4 just read his first book.

"Doggies" by Sandra Boynton.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    DD10 is off sick from school with a fever. I told her she could watch TV but she read a novel instead, and now she's creating "khan academy" style math instructional videos using my iPad (with the "show me" app).

(I might keep her home sick more often...)

B
    B
    DS5 told me this week that he thought he had whooping cough (he has a cold) and that it would be unfair to put the other children at school at risk so thought he should stay home smile

B
    B
    This is such a great thread. I really need to spend more time on this forum. I feel like I can't talk about my daughter much at all around most other moms because I feel like people think I'm exaggerating or acting as if she's better than their kids (which I don't think that!).

She is just over 25 months old.. she has been obsessed with the alphabet since she was about 18 months old and knows the phonetic sound of almost every single letter and is starting to recognize words. She has such a true passion for it and will do word or alphabet related activities all day long. She counts easily to 10/12 and we've been working on counting to twenty and she's already almost got that down (and I am just encouraging her leads, of course).

Most of all, what blows me away about her is that she truly CONVERSES. Her vocabulary is beyond anything I could keep track of. She uses such advanced (or so it seems for a freshly two year old) phrases and tone of voice. She will attempt any word she hears. She was even saying 'rhinoceros'.

She's also fully potty trained, even overnights! Yay!

Thanks for being a safe place to share.

Z - 01/23/11 and O - 05/12/13
    P
    P
    We just got the Explore score. My DD8 (4th grade) got 22 on English, 18 on Math, 17 reading and 19 science. Not bad for a 8 years old getting 88 percentile on 8th grade test.

She meets the DYS criteria too :-) I was afraid that skipping a grade will hurt her. But she may miss out on award ceremony :-(

Originally Posted by bobbie
    DS5 told me this week that he thought he had whooping cough (he has a cold) and that it would be unfair to put the other children at school at risk so thought he should stay home smile

Heeeeeee...

This cracks me up. Sounds exactly like some of the things that my DD has said to us over the years.

I sure love reading about our funny, wise, and spectacular moments with our kids! laugh

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    S
    S
    I just got DS 6's letter of acceptance from Mensa!

The only other person I've mentioned it to is my husband. It's nice to have a place to take a moment to go woohoo! about stuff of this nature.

Now I can get the discounted rate on the EPGY Program, if I decide that's the way to go.

This is not really a brag, more of a goofy story.

... so then, DS (3, often read as younger) up and writes his name. In more than one alphabet. In front of a large and avidly watching crowd of under 6s and their parents.

But it was ok, because we were the official "freaks" anyway.

There was a pause, but no awkward looks, no awkward comments, nothing.

Sometimes I wish I had a "freak" tatoo on my forehead smile

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Page 174 of 268 1 2 172 173 174 175 176 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM