Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    One thing my daughter's teacher did this year made a big difference. The teacher suggested she take AR tests(not required till next year)and she would ask about the stories.

my DS LOVED taking these!

OP Offline
    Thank you all for saving me from myself and my tendency to over-explain.

I talked to my dd yesterday about writing a letter to her teacher, and she wants to. I think it will be something along the lines of "Dear Mrs. X, I like princesses and candy. I have two cats. I can't wait for first grade. Love, DC" But of course, if she wants to write something else, so be it.

We'll try to write a short letter mentioning a couple of book series (perhaps books dd reads on her own and some books we read together?); mention that she likes ballet, singing and science, and that she can be slow to warm up, but will quickly get over that and be *very* social (I don't know that I'll mention she's likely to do this if she gets bored.)

We'll also mention that we'd love to help, including buying extra supplies for the room, if necessary. Just let us know what's needed.

I think based on the general tone of advice here, I'm not going to mention academics directly at all. The school already has some information on that based on the request we had to make to enroll our daughter in first grade. The principal seemed aware that she'd need differentiation (he was actually the first to use the word in our conversation). During our conversations we also did not mention the words "gifted" or "grade-skip". I'll assume it will be passed on. If it's not, we can address it after a couple of weeks.

I think that the only reference I'll make to age is that dd's birthday is the first week in September, so we'd like to know if there's any arrangements we need to make for that.

I really appreciate the feedback. Venting everything here will allow me to be much more restrained in the actual letter.

Thanks!

Maryann

Originally Posted by Maryann1
    I talked to my dd yesterday about writing a letter to her teacher, and she wants to. I think it will be something along the lines of "Dear Mrs. X, I like princesses and candy. I have two cats. I can't wait for first grade. Love, DC" But of course, if she wants to write something else, so be it.

I think that's great. Especially combined with a little note from the parents. It lets the teacher know that you are invested in child owning her experience at school and you will not be the dreaded helicopter parent. It has the added benefit of letting the teacher know in advance that your child's writing, printing, spelling skills are already at least at grade level, if not higher. My, you are sneaky! I like it! smirk

We'll try to write a short letter mentioning a couple of book series (perhaps books dd reads on her own and some books we read together?);

Personally, I would only include the title of a book I was sure she could easily read and answer questions from. The teacher won't care what level book you are reading to her. Her job is to determine at what level the child should be reading, with good comprehension.

mention that she likes ballet, singing and science, and that she can be slow to warm up, but will quickly get over that and be *very* social (I don't know that I'll mention she's likely to do this if she gets bored.)

Good call. smile

I think based on the general tone of advice here, I'm not going to mention academics directly at all. The school already has some information on that based on the request we had to make to enroll our daughter in first grade. The principal seemed aware that she'd need differentiation (he was actually the first to use the word in our conversation). During our conversations we also did not mention the words "gifted" or "grade-skip". I'll assume it will be passed on. If it's not, we can address it after a couple of weeks.

Another very good call. We have an extremely supportive principal who for the most part, understood how different our kids were. Even in a community where almost all the kids are *gifted*.
    Unfortunately, that didn't always translate to the teachers for various reasons.

But no sense worrying about that now. You could have an excellent teacher who naturally takes care of the situation without any intervention from you.
    You'll just have to wait and see.
    If you do end up having a problem, keep communicating with parents on this forum. There are a lot of parents who have great success in advocating for their children's needs, who are members of this online community. grin

OP Offline
    Incogneato,

I think that I'm only going to mention that she's enjoying the Fancy Nancy books by Jane O'Connor. Which indicates her interest in things fancy (my daughter loves to wear dresses, etc.) and her reading level (1.9 - 3.2) within a broad range.

The school is good. I'm sure that's because the teachers are good. I know I had good teachers who still didn't know how to deal with me when I was in school, because they had never met anyone like me before. Even in the self-contained gifted class, I was an odd fit.

Thanks again. This place is a great place to see what other people are going through, it helps to be not alone.

Maryann

G
    G
    Maryann, it sounds like you have a great game plan!

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    I agree with grateful mom! Here's to a fantastic year in 1st for Maryann's DD. laugh

J
    J
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Don't borrow trouble. If issues come up, and they probably will, take it step by step. It seems so logical to us as parents, to feel like giving them all the pertinent info right up front, right? I mean, who wouldn't want to know that stuff, it'll probably help them in the long run.

Wrong. Teachers think very differently than we do. If you barrage them with too much information up front the can easily become defensive and it's really hard to turn that around once you've started off on the wrong foot.

I thought I would quote this so it can be a reminder to myself. So true, so true!!

OP Offline
    Done! Dropped the letter off this morning.

I met some other GT parents last week, both their children had this teacher previously and they loved her. They said that she kept trying different interventions throughout the school year (as late as the month that school ended) to improve outcomes. We'll officially meet her on Thursday.

As a side note, their DD, starting 4th grade, seems to be underachieving, so I was able to direct them toward "A Nation Deceived". I'm hoping that the more GT parents are aware of the research, the less I will be "that parent" and the more that everyone will be successful in advocating for our kids. (Then I don't have to be the first person to mention it with a child who is new to the school.)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM