Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 155 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Ha Ha. LoL.

Hey no5no5, if you get a minute would you look at my "Lost" thread. I just read you say you're a lawyer. I'd really like to help some of these gifted kids who are currently falling through the cracks this way. Could you look and see if I could convince someone online to help them, would that school be risking anything legally, would they have liability? Maybe for harboring a run-away, but they're not physically there. Just, sorry, I know you're not on the clock. Just want to know if the idea is possible.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    D
    D
    Montessori has been a wonderful fit for my child with Down syndrome as well as his older sister (and would have been even better had I been more informed about issues related to giftedness sooner) but I really do have to clarify. I don't know if the "half a brain" quote came from that site, and I am sure that the readers on this forum are aware...but Down syndrome means an extra 21st chromosome in each cell. Not half a brain.

Well, I just googled the phrase + the doman group (that makes the your baby can read) and it looks the the phrase they used was "brain damaged", not half a brain. Without reading the whole site again I can only assume the sentence I read said "if the brain damaged can learn using this method so could a baby with a fully functioning brain.". Which I must have paraphrased in my memory as half a brain compared to a fully functioning brain. Someone showed me that program a while ago because I'm using hooked on phonics but that program has faster results (but I think phonics might make him less academically asynchronous than sight reading, plus it teaches him to learn the way the school likes to teach.) Similarly the DI program and the Montessori method were originally created for the disabled, but turns out they work well for other students too.
    Hmm, I did not know that about downs syndrome being too many chromosomes. Then it's similar kind of to leukemia? I'll file that away and I'm sure it will come up again sometime. Thanks for letting me know.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM