Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #8062 01/30/08 02:09 PM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dear Ones,
    I know we've talked about sleep some, but it's a real hot topic, so I thought I'd give it it's own spot.

Originally Posted by Grinity
    Can you get the sleep thing to work? (or let her sleep with you the night before the test, if that's how she sleeps best?)

Lots and Lots of gifted kids sleep poorly! For some it's because they are terrible about winding down, for other it's because they just don't need a lot of sleep. Figuring out which situation fits your particular kid is the key. I think that a lot of us freewheeling gifted mom's really rebel against the schedual thing, which doesn't help the child sleep well. That was true of me anyway!

I was convinced that my DS11 just didn't need sleep as a baby, but I might have noticed that he drifted off just fine as long as he had skin-to-skin with me!

Anyway - welcome!
    Grinity

Originally Posted by Aline
    Interesting note on sleep and giftedness! My DD9 STILL won't sleep alone and neither will many of her friends -- a fact that is there but a bit under the radar until you ask their parents.I have always been convinced that this is one her quirks -- She is very independent until-- she's not! I was TERRIFIED to sleep when I was a child.

Do you have any citations about this/

Aline

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    P
    I was convinced that my DS11 just didn't need sleep as a baby, but I might have noticed that he drifted off just fine as long as he had skin-to-skin with me!

This is exactly DS2 (today is his birthday). I don't know if he's gifted or not, but he needs very little sleep.

DD9 doesn't need a whole lot of sleep either. Interesting topic.

...Whereas both of mine buck the GT trend and sleep hard and long all night, and always have. My first (The PG one) slept through the night at 6 weeks exactly (!) and my second (whose GT status is still TBD) slept through the night at 8 weeks. Both sleep something like 10 hours a night now without interruptions. It's nice.

(Sorry to all those who aren't so lucky!)

From what I've read, that much sleep is very unusual for GT kids. But DH and I were also good-sleeping GT kids, so it seems to run in the family.

I suspect there's some Darwinism happening, too, since if they'd kept me up for years like some kids do, I don't think they'd be alive today! I'm a monster without sleep! frown

Kriston
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    My kids love sleep, too, Kriston.

Also a favorite pasttime for DH and me. I'm convinced that nightowls have children who are nightowls. Sleepers have sleepers. Probably too simplistic...

I think there's probably something to that, cym.

I do tend to have insomnia if I don't get enough exercise. But once I'm out, I'm out for good, and I can sleep 10 hours straight, almost without rolling over.

DH is up and down a lot, but he loves his sleep.

Kriston
    A
    A
    Hi guys,

When DD sleeps she sleeps hard and long, it's the transition and the Mommy factor. Me, too. Brain overload? Sears "high-needs"? (my ongoing conceptualization....
    aline

A
    A
    sorry for typos..
    aline

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ah Yes Aline! Sears 'high-needs' was my mantra for years. Now I think it was a combination of 'high needs' and 'not actually getting his needs met' - who could have guessed that a 2 year old might need intellectual stimulation beyond 'just hanging out' with mom? Certianly not me!
    Grinity

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by pinkpanther

This is exactly DS2 (today is his birthday). I don't know if he's gifted or not, but he needs very little sleep.

DD9 doesn't need a whole lot of sleep either. Interesting topic.

Happy Brithday DS-PinkPanther!
    My point was that although DS seemed to not 'need' sleep, I might have noticed that his easy drift off while in contact meant that he did need more than he was getting, just was having trouble getting there without me. I see this alot in kids who 'don't have off switches.' I would advise you to be a bit skeptical with DS's appearance of not needing more sleep than he is getting, based on my own experience of course.

SMiles,
    Grinity

Q
    Q
    Grinity,

Once again, your DS reminds me of my DS. Even as a baby, he would keep himself awake (until 11:30, if necessary) until I was in the room. We tried the Ferber method, but that was a short-lived disaster. No doubt he was tired, but wouldn't go to sleep by himself. Of course, he's upstairs by himself, poor guy. I don't blame him for being scared. He seems to function tired, but he needs more sleep. There's just not enough time in the day for him to do what he wants to do, especially since so much of it is spent in school.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM