Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    CFK Offline OP
    OP Offline
    What with all of the acheivement testing that is being talked about on this board, I started wondering about how you determine what level that GE actually means in math? Is there an "average" US standard for what math is taught in what grade? For example, if your child gets a GE of 11th grade in math reasoning/numerical operations (or whatever they call their math subtests) does that correspond to Algebra I? II? Geometry? Or is upper level math beyond the acheivement tests? I know that bright math students often start Algebra in 8th but after that, I'm not sure how the sequence goes. (none of mine are in HS yet) Does anyone know? Is it different in every state? Is this what the WIAT/WJ/etc, are reflecting in their GE's?

I don't know but I do know the kids at our school can start algebra I in 7th grade. I think we're the only school around here that does it that way. Then they do geometry in 8th, algebra II in 9th, trig in 10th, calc I in 11th and calc II in 12th. But as far as what type of math the GE corresponds to, I'm not sure but I'm sure someone else here does! smile

acs Offline
    For state tests, each state has standards that they use to set grade equivlants. They are probably similar from state to state, but certainly not identical. So you can check with your dept. of ed.

For national tests, I'm not quite sure. DS got a GE of >18 on the WJ in "calculation." I am quite sure there was no calculus on that (in fact the WJ just extropolates out for GE's over 12). So in that case it is a matter of how well he does a "lower level" skill, rather than having mastered an advanced skill. Does that make sense?

D
    D
    Originally Posted by acs
    For state tests, each state has standards that they use to set grade equivlants. They are probably similar from state to state, but certainly not identical. So you can check with your dept. of ed.

Actually, state standards vary greatly as laid out in the �Proficiency Illusion� by the Fordham Foundation;
    http://www.edexcellence.net/foundation/publication/publication.cfm?id=376

I don�t know how long this link will be available, but it is from the current issue of the Atlantic Monthly and gives a non-partisan argument for national standards in education.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200801/miller-education

This link to the ALEKS course recommendation by grade may help answer your math/grade question. Their grade level course recommendations reflect what is available here for regular and faster math sequences.

http://www.aleks.com/about_aleks/course_products/recommendations

P
    P
    I am a high school math teacher, and I don't even know the answer to that question. If I had to guess, I would say that the GE is comparable to what the average 11th grader is doing, which is Algebra II in my state. Here, the advanced kids take Precalculus in 11th grade and Calculus in 12th (Cal I or Cal I and II depending on their ability). It's rare for kids here to complete Calculus in 11th grade. However, it's the standard at my school, which is a magnet school for GT kids.

Hi Gals :-)
    I have been away from this board for about a week and there is so much catching up to do!

For whatever it is worth, I am going to repeat my 3 cents. I am constantly quoting my kid's example, because that is how I learn best, case studies. The mumbo jumbo about test and subtests evaporates from my mind in seconds:-)
    I am not familiar with test you are quoting. When my kids were in a private school they were given SAT (similar to IOWA but longer) at the beginning of every October. Then the results were given back to the parents almost without any comments and nothing happened. So no matter what your score was, no changes were made. When my kids moved to the charter school they were given a computerized placement test, I believe it was STAR (whatever that stands for ???). Ghost scored at the college level(ceiling for this test) after fourth grade. No way he was a college material! Never in his life did he do anything complex with fractions (like multiplying or dividing them), he has never worked ahead in math up to that point! So what were they measuring? Ability I quess, intuitive reasoning etc. So he was placed in Algebra I as a 5th grader and has flourished in math ever since. The sequence in our state is Algebra I/Geometry/Algebra II/Pre-calc/and then if able you can go directly to AP Calculus BC. I have been told by few different individuals, that able kids go directly from Pre-calc to AP BC.
    I am not in love with this arrangement, because it will put my son in AP BC as a freshman, starting in a totally new school. On the other hand he is excelling in math, so would it be wise to hold him back?

C
    cym Offline
    C
    I want to live in E and C mom's school district!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM