Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #80641 07/19/10 08:28 PM
    J
    jenner Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but have learned much just by "lurking"!

I have a quick question: My DD7, a new DYS, has been sort of obsessing about Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny lately. She found out about the Tooth Fairy in the spring from a friend. We told her, and from there it was just a slippery slope to Old Saint Nick. We'd always said when she was old enough to ask if he was "real," we'd tell her the truth, but maybe we 'fessed up too soon. She did ok with it for a while, but now, when she's really tired or upset, she starts to cry and wail. I mean, **really** cry and wail.

She did a similar thing last year about a moral issue--she was afraid she'd been mean to a little boy in her class, and whenever she was super tired or upset she'd relive the episode.
    So it seems to DH and I that whatever she's obsessing about is less about the subject itself and more of a way to let out all of her intense feelings.

Anybody experienced similar? Any coping strategies (besides lots of cuddles and "I love yous")?

Thanks in advance!

Val Offline
    Sometimes letting go hurts too much and people (children or adults) need to cry out a route to Goodbye. It occurs to me that this reaction is a way of saying "I can't accept this loss right now because <Santy><the Easter Bunny><my dog who died> might think I don't love him if I do, and I love him so much." Does that make sense? What I'm saying is that maybe, in this case, she's mourning a loss.

Some people feel things very deeply, and loss or pain that occurred in others can sometimes feel worse than one's own pain. Not physically worse, but emotionally. It's especially bad when the one who's suffering was defenseless and hadn't done anything to deserve the bad treatment.

Things like this are always worse when after a long or tiring day, or when there's a triggering event. For example, say a child is upset about the loss of a family pet and then someone mentions that the dog down the street is sick. The sick dog can trigger sadness about the family pet. So there would be two issues feeding into each other, with a net result of a synergistic effect on the emotions.

As for coping strategies, it might help to talk about keeping Santy in your heart. If everyone walks around with a bit of Santy inside, he'll always be with us in a way.

For future things like the past problem with the boy in school, she could make a hand-drawn card to say she's sorry. Or she could just be encouraged to say, "Joey, I think I was mean to you and I feel really rotten about it and I'm really sorry."

If it makes you feel any better, any child who feels so deeply will probably grow up to be a wonderful adult. smile

HTH,

Val

J
    jenner Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi Val,

WOW! That helps so much--thanks for the insightful post! It really makes sense to see this as her mourning a loss. I'd been so focused on whether we'd told her too early that I didn't stop to think that this could just be her coping mechanism, regardless of age.

I can imagine her feeling like if she just lets that childhood magic go, it'll be like she never loved Santa/Fairy/Bunny in the first place.

Thanks again for that help!
    jenner

Last edited by jenner; 07/20/10 08:27 AM.
    Originally Posted by jenner
    So it seems to DH and I that whatever she's obsessing about is less about the subject itself and more of a way to let out all of her intense feelings.

Lovely to read your advice Val!
    Jenner, welcome! I think this is correct. Giftedness often goes hand in hand with being very very sensitive. This can be hard on the grown ups.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    My DS7 goes back and forth in his beliefs, but he said the funniest thing the other day, "Mommy, if you don't let me stay up late, I'm not going to believe in Santa anymore!!" He was wailing and emotional from being way too tired...yet it tied into his emotional feelings about Santa. Nan

V
    V
    I'm glad this topic came up, I was thinking of posting last week. I'm lost as well. Last year, my DS 5 asked asked me if there is really a Santa, or if the parents leave the gifts. I thought he had heard it from a kid at school. I asked him what he thought and he gave me a laundry list of logic reasons of why a jolly man in a sled couldn't possible carry that many presents. This year at 6 he told me that he believes that parents leave baskets at Easter and presents at Christmas for kids. My husband and I are split on this topic, my husband wants to draw out the belief as long as possible. I thought that as long as he asked then we could put it back on him by asking him what he believed. But when he told me he thought it was us a few weeks ago, I felt an obligation to gently let him in on the truth. I sort of danced around the whole spirit of Christmas and Santa is in our hearts, and I thought that might be the end of it for a while. But last week he started to cry and said that in Summer he doesn't believe in Santa, but when it gets closer to Christmas he does, and that he is afraid that if he doesn't believe, then he won't get presents (I think in part due to the well intentioned adults who have told him in the past that if he doesn't believe, then Santa just won't bring any gifts). I do feel strongly about being truthful with him, and I don't really see this any differently than other topics. But I think I may have to look at it another way, given the emotional investment he has obviously put into Santa. I'm curious to see what other say.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by venture
    But last week he started to cry and said that in Summer he doesn't believe in Santa, but when it gets closer to Christmas he does, and that he is afraid that if he doesn't believe, then he won't get presents [...]. I do feel strongly about being truthful with him, and I don't really see this any differently than other topics. But I think I may have to look at it another way, given the emotional investment he has obviously put into Santa. I'm curious to see what other say.
    Obviously the first thing is to reassure him as much as it takes that he will get presents anyway, because you and DH like giving him presents! Would it work to tell him that you've been ambivalent about telling him the truth because your DH really likes the Santa story and enjoys pretending to be Santa when you bring the presents? You could then invite your DS to join you in *pretending* Santa is real, even though you all know it's a story really. In our house stocking presents are brought by Father-Christmas-nudge-nudge-wink-wink - we've never invited DS to believe that there really is such a person, but we still have fun with the story.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    venture, I feel your pain. My older son started asking such questions at the age of 3-- he is a very skeptical little one and always has been. If I recall correctly, the very first reason for the questions was the mall Santa. My wife was the one who wanted to draw out the fiction in our case. Like you, I feel strongly that I should always be truthful with my kids.

We were having a conversation one day not long after that about lying; he had lied, I don't remember about what. I was explaining to him why lying is bad, and at one point told him I had never lied to him, then modified it slightly to say something similar to "Well, I've never lied to you about anything except to avoid hurting your feelings". Of course he had to get to the bottom of it then, and I told him. He was happy to know the truth and actually thanked me.

I will warn you that telling a little one about Santa may cause a backlash, and you may get a lot of judgmental comments from family and even total strangers.

The truthfulness issue has also caused us some stress regarding religion. I and my wife can't tell our son that we believe, but on the other hand don't want to discourage him from being religious either, and certainly want him to have respect for religious beliefs. You walk a fine line in dealing with these issues with a gifted child, and you walk it when your child is much younger and perhaps emotionally unready to hear the information.

I would tell him that the presents will still be given. If you think it will reassure him, tell him that misbehavior will still earn him a lump of coal. laugh

Last edited by Iucounu; 07/20/10 03:14 PM.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    I will warn you that telling a little one about Santa may cause a backlash, and you may get a lot of judgmental comments from family and even total strangers.

Not to mention the stir at daycare when DC announces to all the other 3 year olds that their parents are all part of a giant conspiracy to trick and fool the children in an attempt to get good behavior out of them, by positing a magical spy network to monitor each child's misdeeds. Totally not fun! Not fun when he told the 4 year olds the next year, nor the 5 year olds the year after that.

Yeah, I'm one of the parents who drew a sigh of relief when the gradeskip finally came through!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    jenner Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Great discussion.

In our case, my daughter had been suspicious of the Tooth Fairy for a while. She asked me at some point as we were piling into the car, so I told her. Turned out she really was just testing me because she'd heard a friend say the Tooth Fairy wasn't real--what she'd really was expecting to hear was that the friend was wrong. Belatedly, a good friend told me you always say "What do YOU think," first, which I thought was very good advice.

I really like the advice to sort of wink-wink playalong idea, too. My DD has since lost a tooth, and she seemed to have fun pretending the Tooth Fairy would still come (and, of course, she didn't mind getting the dollar...).

(Grinity--that is really funny!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM