Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    Sydney100
    Unregistered
    Sydney100
    Unregistered
    S
    Hope I`m posting this one in the right place...
    But to the issue/question:A friend of mine have got a daughter who is 15 years old, who is certainly gifted, but she needs some advice about which LOG her daughter could be at and about education.The girl talked at the age of 9 months with a huge vocabuary from the beginning. Learned to read at the age of 4 , maybe earlier, and read books such as Harry Potter at the age of 6 and Lord of the Rings 2 years later. She also had a test when she was about 5 years old which showed that she was ranging from 2-8 years ahead of her chronological age.In school she have never learned much and hasn`t been accelerated , but since they live in a country which doesn`t do a thing for gifted so it is just to stick with the education... She is really good at logical activites such as chess etc. Plus she is extraordinary creative andan outstanding musician, plays the flute.
    I should also mention that the girl have been pretty much fluent in English, which isn`t her first lnguage, since the age of 5 and is today reading fluently in German which she has studied for 2 years.
    Maybe this appears very messy - sorry for that, but my questions are simply which LOG you would think that the girl is at and what could be done for her situation in school?
    Thanks for an answer

Last edited by Sydney100; 07/16/10 02:41 PM.
    I'm no expert parent, but what she was doing at nine months old is less important now at fifteen than what she wants to be doing "when she grows up.".
    They say to be happy you should find out what you like to do, then find out how to get paid to do it. I don't know what her country offers, but here there are special interest summer programs for anything a teenager could be interested in, LOG aside. Then it's like choosing a college. Look at what's available that you want to participate in then see if you qualify. If she has a passion consider foreign exchange studentship to persue that passion, since she's fluently bilingual. These are some ideas for enrichment. I still believe at fifteen she should be counseled on carreer choices. I'm too new at studying healthy giftedness to recommend any specific books, but even the few I'm reading say the gifted sometimes have a problem being satisfied with the life they have worked so hard to earn. And these message boards seem to stress that the gifted benefit from seeking professional counseling in so many cases when serious decisions are being made. So I would offhandedly suggest seeking a gifted-experienced guidence counselor to help talk her through "what she wants to be when she grows up.". I would think in this case. If she was young and had years of school ahead of her and there were many educational opportunities to chose from then I would seek to determine her LOG. As it is, there's not much being offered there, not much school left in front of her, and this is an age she should think about her life and do a little planning. You already know she's some kind of level of gifted, so find a specialized gifted counselor to help her define her goals and needs. Sorry if my answer was rambling.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Well, it sounds like she is already an autodidact.

You can be successful without a formal education provided you work deeply in one subject and find rewards from your effort.

She needs to figure out what she really loves to do and then totally concentrate on it and find mentors to guide her. It may be that formal education will parallel her interests, and maybe not. She may need to emigrate.

The best advice is for her to follow her interests and then devote herself to something deeply.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM