Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 355 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #7993 01/29/08 12:24 PM
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I had to laugh when I looked at this list that my son's school district uses:

Factors Which Support
    Acceleration/Promotion of a Student

�� Student attends school regularly.
    �� Student regularly completes all class work, homework,
    and usually does more work than required.
    �� Student is mature for age and appears socially and
    academically ready for promotion/acceleration.
    �� Student participates fully in all differentiated
    instruction.
    �� Parents participate in all conferences and support
    fully the student�s activities, i.e. homework, extra
    activities, projects, etc.

Factors Which Do Not Support

�� Student is often absent.
    �� Student does not regularly complete assignments.
    �� Student appears socially immature.
    �� Parents do not support all student activities and
    may miss conferences.
    �� Student does not put forth maximum effort.

Especially the "does not put forth maximum effort" clause. How could my son possibly be putting forth his "maximum effort" in a setting that is at least 2 grade levels below his readiness level?

Cathy

Ohh - That is scary. At least they put their ideas out in a clear form. These are exactly the 'reasons' my DS was denied appropriate placement in the public school. I do feel your pain here!

It's like a 'through the looking glass view of giftedness.'

((shrug))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I think it's just designed so they won't have to do anything: If the kid is performing well, socially well-adjusted, participating in everything, then there's no problem--why would the school want to change anything? If the kid is blowing off schoolwork, misbehaving, missing school, etc., then he doesn't "deserve" to be accelerated. Once again, we are status-quo. It's just easier for the school that way... mad

Cathy

Last edited by Cathy A; 01/29/08 01:30 PM.
    Agreed. And ugh!

Kriston
    K
    K
    Eeek ... that kind of spells it out for you! You have my sympathy.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, I think we're ok. I think the principal is on DS's side and thinks that accelerating him is a reasonable thing to do (even though she personally wouldn't "do that" to her child). I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Apparently, this is a lengthy process involving a Student Study Team and we may have to wait for standardized test results in April to know for sure. I'm just trying to be patient.

Cathy

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Bureaucrats!

There is a girl that the principal of the middle school keeps talking about (though she's graduated) as the most "gifted" student. While I really like the young lady, she did not score into "gifted" (130) on IQ test but is an extremely hard worker, pleasant, well-behaved. She progressed through Alg 2 in middle school (I think it was helped by mom being the math teacher and the girl spent 2 hrs after school every day doing additional math).

In my mind, it worries me that an educator/administrator is so confused about the profile of a real "gifted" kid. My kids WON'T work 2 extra hrs a day on math (or anything). They're hard workers but on their on terms (only if the project is engaging to them). They can be naughty or slightly disruptive (nothing serious), and usually they want to skip school if there is it's boring boring boring. Don't these contradict those school's skipping requirements?

I think all of this has a lot to do with wanting to reward the kids teachers like--and those are the bright but not bored kids. (Or if they're bored, their personality is such that they don't act out to show their boredom.)

I can say this because I WAS that kid, and I was rewarded for my teacher's pet behavior time and time again. But I was probably MG, I think, certainly NOT PG. And the boredom just turned me into a perfectionist, so even with the rewards, it wasn't good for me.

It's a darn shame educators and administrators don't understand GTness better! Rules like these are ridiculous.

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    I had to laugh when I looked at this list that my son's school district uses:

Factors Which Support

�� Student attends school regularly.
    �� Student regularly completes all class work, homework,
    and usually does more work than required.
    �� Student is mature for age and appears socially and
    academically ready for promotion/acceleration.
    �� Student participates fully in all differentiated
    instruction.
    �� Parents participate in all conferences and support
    fully the student�s activities, i.e. homework, extra
    activities, projects, etc.

Factors Which Do Not Support

�� Student is often absent.
    �� Student does not regularly complete assignments.
    �� Student appears socially immature.
    �� Parents do not support all student activities and
    may miss conferences.
    �� Student does not put forth maximum effort.

Especially the "does not put forth maximum effort" clause. How could my son possibly be putting forth his "maximum effort" in a setting that is at least 2 grade levels below his readiness level?

Cathy

OK, I just got my Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual book in the mail yesterday, and I'm sick with a fever & sore throat so I may have misunderstood what I briefly read, but I thought these items were listed in the Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual, as you have them written. Of course, they are only a part of what's to be considered.
    A number of people here recommended the Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual, does it list these things?

Mia Offline
    Yes, it does list these things, but with more or less weight for each one. There are a total of 80 points possible, with 22 of those coming directly from test scores.

Attendence is worth a max of 3 points.
    Completing homework is worth a max of 3 points.
    Social maturity -- well, there's a whole section on this, worth a max of 16 points with choices of 0, 1, 2, 3 and sometimes 4 on five questions.
    Paticipating fully in differentiated instruction: Does that mean that they're enrolled in all differentiation options, or that they are trying their hardest and getting all As in their advanced classes? Not sure what this means.

Parental involvement is worth a max of 3 points. Interestingly, "School attitude and support" is also worth 3 points. That's not on the list ... wonder why? Ha!

So yes, those factors are listed, but it's not quite that black and white. There are a lot of other factors that are weighted just as heavily, like the child's size (max of 3 points for being bigger than age) and participation in extracurriculars (max of 3 points). Putting those 5 items on a list and calling it a day doesn't seem very in-depth to me.

Was this article posted on this site or another one? I think it's fascinating and very telling:

http://www.wrightslaw.com/advoc/articles/ALESSI1.html

It's about special needs kids, and it absolutely applies to gifted children.

Last edited by Mia; 01/30/08 09:25 AM. Reason: clarity

Mia
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM