Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #80317 07/13/10 02:49 PM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Does anyone have first-hand experience with

I was reading an article by Karen Pryor where she describes school that use methods similar to clicker training that is used for dolphins, horses, and dogs.

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/222
    I also had a chance to visit the Century School, when I gave a graduate seminar at the school of Education at the University of Kansas a couple of years ago. What a treat. All ages, all ranges, all working at their individual Best, all positive reinforcement, all progress all the time. One little boy proudly showed me his math chart-his rate of improvement made a line going at about a 45% angle, in other words he was improving steadily and fast. He was eight. He was doing algebra. He was not some supergenius, he was just getting the information he needed and developing the skills and being reinforced consistently, so that's where it took him. Another little girl of about the same age proudly showed me her chart, which she also kept herself, and she was improving fast too; but her chart was for life-skills (tie shoes, come on time, hang up coat, etc.) A child with some developmental delays; but she had confidence, social skills, good manners, and was beaming with pride, and learning fast, just like the algebra boy. She was 'mainstreamed' alright-in a mixed age, mixed task room-and she was getting the right education for her right then. She told me she had just earned the right to go to the library (in another building) by herself. She was thrilled. Yes, I was thrilled for her.

The teachers are having fun all the time because they, too, are a) free to work in their own way, at their own speed (which is top speed) with a really interesting bunch of animals (kids are a lot of fun to shape behavior in) and under the tutelage of top 'clicker trainers,' not punishers. Most of them are getting their MA's or Ph.D's as they work, plus getting paid.

Soo...if you wondered where you could go with your clicker skills, there's plenty of room for pioneering in education.

To visit the Century School website, go to www.centuryschool.org/

Now that's a fine example, in my mind, of how the entity theory of intelligence and the incremental theory can work hand in hand!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #80335 07/13/10 06:24 PM
    A
    A
    No experience, but from looking at the website, I would totally send my elementary schooler there.

Lack of accreditation would be an issue for an older kid, but for a younger kid, their system would really work for us.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM