Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #79815 07/06/10 06:25 PM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    I was wondering if a child qualifies for DYS do they usally qualify for the Davidson Think summer institute?

DS will be 10 in soon, so I have lots of time to think about this. It seems like a good way to send a child out into the world a little before their college days and to get them thinking ahead to college. Would anyone like to share their experiences?

Last edited by onthegomom; 07/07/10 05:41 AM.
    W
    W
    My son is packing for his second year at THINK as I type this (it starts this Saturday), and I have to say it has been a wonderful experience for him. He is truly looking forward to going back.

Granted, I haven't had to send him out into the world to attend (we only live a few miles from the UNR campus). In addition, since he's a DA student, he's already extremely familiar with many of the instructors/staff members, and he's already taken plenty of UNR courses during the past few school years, so none of that is new to him. Still, it has been eye-opening and he has learned so much.

The biggest difference between THINK and the rest of the school year, is that the work is so very compacted. Two college classes in three weeks is a lot of work, even for kids who are used to a lot of work. I think most first-timers are a tad overwhelmed at first, but I was thrilled to find how much the kids helped and supported each other. Instructors were accessible as well, and (when necessary) extra help and tutors were available for those that needed them. And there is definitely a sense of accomplishment having survived and succeed (both in classroom and the laundry room) at THINK. The staff is also very attentive to the kids, and accessible to the parents. When my son was having issues sleeping at night, I had no problem working things out with the staff.

The program is small (only 60 kids, many of whom choose to return year after year), and you are not required to be a DYS to attend, so I don't know what the numbers are regarding qualification and attendance, but I can say with no reservation that is has been the best academic summer program my DYS has attended.

WOW- (if I may use such a nickname for you- it's sort of a trend here for those with longer handles)

My son will be at THINK as a first timer. I'm getting very nervous as we get closer to saying goodbye. He's never been away for more than a week at a time before. I'm sure he'll be fine, but...

O
    OP Offline
    O
    I'm very curious about this. How old is your son? Did he have any hesitation going? Is he going on a plane by himself? Did you go to see the school with him? You can PM me if you want to.

I believe the test score bar is set a bit lower for THINK than for DYS, but there are additional factors beyond scores that are considered in a THINK applicant. Overall, it seems to me they are looking for kids who are going to be able to handle the intensive pace and college level of material, as well as the 3 weeks away from home. Not every DYS is necessarily going to be a shoo-in, though I know many THINKERS do come from the DYS program, as my son does. The program once admitted 12 year olds, and I can only speculate as to why they changed that hurdle to age 13.

Onthego, I think you were asking WOW, but I will answer your questions regarding my son. He is 13 and has flown solo before, but only a short hop without any changeover. This time, he will be changing planes, and flying 10 hours total, which does make me a bit nervous. He knows the campus already, so that gives us some peace of mind.

I
    I
    My D15 is also just finishing packing for THINK and flying out by herself tomorrow. It is her first year at THINK. Her first flight alone as well, and she is changing planes on the way. Eek! She has a new cell phone to call me with if she misses her connection smile We have never been to the campus. No hesitation by my daugther -- and she is generally a pretty shy kid. But she has been away to camp before for a couple of weeks, and is 15 (older than some first timers). The pre-reading for one of her classes was quite demanding, but that was probably good, as it hopefully is getting her in the mindset for the fast pace and high level material.

F
    F
    Just wondering if people can update this thread.
    DD 13 is contemplating Think but is nervous about the amount of work. It does seem like an awful lot, two college courses in three weeks. It just seems that of all the summer options, Davidson would do it the best. So what are people's experience with surviving the demands of two courses in three weeks, homesickness, etc. Would you recommend Think over CTY etc????

I
    I
    Inparent here again (previous poster). My D (16) went to THINK for two summers (age 15 & 16). It was fabulous for her, and the staff and other kids were super supportive. I think she had never really been pushed to her limit academically before, and it was exhilarating. She also LOVED being with other smart kids for three weeks. She traveled from the midwest for it, so it was a pretty big deal. The only issue she really had was that it was tough to go back to the normal pace of school in the fall both years (too slow). I honestly don't think she had time to get homesick, they really work hard!

W
    W
    Can any update what happens with the credits of those courses as your children went on to college?

I
    I
    We haven't hit that point yet, but I have chatted with D's high school counselor about this. Here are a few things she said:

- She had me get an official transcript sent from U of Nev-Reno to the high school to be included in her file. That way when they send transcripts to her colleges, the high school will include that transcript along with their own high school transcript (even though the high school does not accept the credit, just the way they are). It is logistically easier, although I will probably remind the college counseling office to do this just to make sure it happens.

- I asked the counselor how the colleges would look at it from an admissions perspective. She thought they look at outside/summer courses separately from the high school courses (so, for example, the college courses don't get incuded in the GPA calculation -- too bad, D's THINK grades would help her GPA). But they do like to see college courses, I think as evidence of intellectual interest and motivation.

- We can't answer the question yet regarding whether the colleges will accept the credits as transfer-type credits or not. I think that is up to the individual school. D didn't go to THINK for the credits anyway, although of course we will ask to have them transferred if possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM