Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 187 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Clara Tim, markhogue, John Henderson, wm97, oliviazimmerman
    10844 Registered Users
    October
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Page 78 of 263 < 1 2 ... 76 77 78 79 80 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #78481 - 06/18/10 12:13 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Treasuremapper]
    shellymos Offline

Loc: New York
    DS5's school decided to have him unofficially take the end of third grade state math assessment and have it graded by someone who doesn't know him and graded like any 3rd grader. They reported to me that he only got one wrong and it was due to a vocabulary term in math he wasn't familiar with. Good news too as this helped them to see that he would definitely be able to start in 4th grade math next year (even though it still will be pretty easy for him). At least now they know they don't have any doubts that he can do it. And DS really enjoyed filling in the bubbles on the scantron. ; )

#78660 - 06/21/10 02:44 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: minniemarx]
    HelloBaby Offline

2 months ago, DS18mo started to do those Jumbo Knob puzzles. Now, he is getting bored with 12-piece jigsaw puzzles. I need to get him started on 24-piece soon.

It's so neat to see my 18-month-old doing jigsaw puzzles since I loved to do jigsaw puzzles when I was little.

#79033 - 06/25/10 06:33 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: HelloBaby]
    Wyldkat Offline

Today Wolf (5) asked me out of the blue what the Greek word for zombie is. Hooray for my normal....

#79055 - 06/26/10 10:32 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Wyldkat]
    kathleen'smum Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
    We bought the BBC Life series for our budding biologist. It is AMAZING in HD, coolest thing I have ever seen. She watched the first disc this morning with her atlas on her lap and was constantly pressing pause so she could look up where each animal was from. She asked so many questions, I have no idea how she heard anything that Richard Attenborough was saying.

"How do those birds run on water? Did Jesus teach them?"

"Can I have a venus fly-trap... it would get rid of the houseflies!"

And my favourite "Oh gross... WHAT is that lizard doing to that other lizard????"

I'm going to have to rewatch it tonight after she has gone to bed so I can hear everything I missed.

#79057 - 06/26/10 11:24 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: kathleen'smum]
    ColinsMum Offline

Loc: Scotland
    Originally Posted By: kathleen'smum
    We bought the BBC Life series for our budding biologist. It is AMAZING in HD, coolest thing I have ever seen. She watched the first disc this morning with her atlas on her lap and was constantly pressing pause so she could look up where each animal was from. She asked so many questions, I have no idea how she heard anything that Richard Attenborough was saying.

We've not gone HD yet, but yes, all the David (it's David who is the naturalist broadcaster btw - Richard Attenborough is his brother the actor) Attenborough programmes are fantastic, aren't they? Good thing is there are a lot of them... I think the original Life On Earth may still be the best for overall interest, but the photography only gets better as the years go by. I bought a boxed set for my own birthday, and it was promptly hijacked by DS-then-4, who insisted on me making a list of all the animals mentioned in the first episode. Lots of fun, lots of learning :-)

#79062 - 06/26/10 12:52 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: PMc]
    kathleen'smum Offline

Oh my gosh....wow! My 21 month old barely talks. I would fall over if he came out with something like that! Unless knowing all of the Thomas trains is a talent, his is still hiding.

#79063 - 06/26/10 12:58 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: ColinsMum]
    kathleen'smum Offline

Originally Posted By: ColinsMum
    I think the original Life On Earth may still be the best

I watched the preview for that and thought, "WOW!" Definitely will be getting that one, too. And you're right, it is David Attenborough. I couldn't bear to listen to Oprah on Discovery's version!

#79083 - 06/27/10 04:04 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: PMc]
    kcab Offline

Loc: Sparta, apparently
    Not a super interesting brag here, but I won't be sharing it elsewhere outside the house. DD13 had decent ACT scores, meeting CTY eligibility for both math & humanities. Her scores were below DYS level, just barely in one area, but higher than I expected given NO prep and her impression of the test. (So little prep that *I* had to read the test info to her the night before to make sure she knew how many sections & questions & the rules.)

I'm proud of her for deciding she would try it and for going through with it and doing the test. I'm glad it turned out well too.

#79084 - 06/27/10 04:28 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: kcab]
    onthegomom Offline

Originally Posted By: kcab
    I'm proud of her for deciding she would try it and for going through with it and doing the test. I'm glad it turned out well too.

I agree this is really something to be proud of. It amazes me how these kids take a extra test outside of school to challenge themselves.

And good job to you as a parent. Somehow you gave her what she needed to do this.

#79089 - 06/27/10 11:39 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: onthegomom]
    Mia Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
    Kathleen'smum -- don't worry, my DYS was barely talking at 21 months, either!

Page 78 of 263 < 1 2 ... 76 77 78 79 80 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Full time in person learning-accommodati
    on for ADD

by aeh
    Yesterday at 12:28 PM
    Grading practices
    by aeh
    10/18/20 12:49 PM
    The Politics of Gifted Education
    by Eagle Mum