Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 78 of 268 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 267 268
    S
    S
    DS5's school decided to have him unofficially take the end of third grade state math assessment and have it graded by someone who doesn't know him and graded like any 3rd grader. They reported to me that he only got one wrong and it was due to a vocabulary term in math he wasn't familiar with. Good news too as this helped them to see that he would definitely be able to start in 4th grade math next year (even though it still will be pretty easy for him). At least now they know they don't have any doubts that he can do it. And DS really enjoyed filling in the bubbles on the scantron. ; )

H
    H
    2 months ago, DS18mo started to do those Jumbo Knob puzzles. Now, he is getting bored with 12-piece jigsaw puzzles. I need to get him started on 24-piece soon.

It's so neat to see my 18-month-old doing jigsaw puzzles since I loved to do jigsaw puzzles when I was little.

W
    W
    Today Wolf (5) asked me out of the blue what the Greek word for zombie is. Hooray for my normal....

We bought the BBC Life series for our budding biologist. It is AMAZING in HD, coolest thing I have ever seen. She watched the first disc this morning with her atlas on her lap and was constantly pressing pause so she could look up where each animal was from. She asked so many questions, I have no idea how she heard anything that Richard Attenborough was saying.

"How do those birds run on water? Did Jesus teach them?"

"Can I have a venus fly-trap... it would get rid of the houseflies!"

And my favourite "Oh gross... WHAT is that lizard doing to that other lizard????"

I'm going to have to rewatch it tonight after she has gone to bed so I can hear everything I missed.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by kathleen'smum
    We bought the BBC Life series for our budding biologist. It is AMAZING in HD, coolest thing I have ever seen. She watched the first disc this morning with her atlas on her lap and was constantly pressing pause so she could look up where each animal was from. She asked so many questions, I have no idea how she heard anything that Richard Attenborough was saying.
    We've not gone HD yet, but yes, all the David (it's David who is the naturalist broadcaster btw - Richard Attenborough is his brother the actor) Attenborough programmes are fantastic, aren't they? Good thing is there are a lot of them... I think the original Life On Earth may still be the best for overall interest, but the photography only gets better as the years go by. I bought a boxed set for my own birthday, and it was promptly hijacked by DS-then-4, who insisted on me making a list of all the animals mentioned in the first episode. Lots of fun, lots of learning :-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Oh my gosh....wow! My 21 month old barely talks. I would fall over if he came out with something like that! Unless knowing all of the Thomas trains is a talent, his is still hiding.

Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    I think the original Life On Earth may still be the best

I watched the preview for that and thought, "WOW!" Definitely will be getting that one, too. And you're right, it is David Attenborough. I couldn't bear to listen to Oprah on Discovery's version!

O
    O
    Originally Posted by kcab
    I'm proud of her for deciding she would try it and for going through with it and doing the test. I'm glad it turned out well too.

I agree this is really something to be proud of. It amazes me how these kids take a extra test outside of school to challenge themselves.

And good job to you as a parent. Somehow you gave her what she needed to do this.

Mia Offline
    Kathleen'smum -- don't worry, my DYS was barely talking at 21 months, either!

Mia
    We had a horrible year at school with a teacher who completely did not get my son and really managed to destroy his self-image. Recently we went to a bbq and ran into an art instructor he had two years ago at an arts/science summer camp. She immediately asked me if my son was with me and went on to tell me what a neat amazing kid he is and how she loved the way his mind works. She even starting telling another person nearby about him. My son went right over and they exclaimed over each other and reminisced about how much fun they had that year.

Ahhhhhhhhh both DS and I needed that. :-)

Page 78 of 268 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM