Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 66 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Jasmine Kurb, stevesmith1699, Phoebe Norman, EMdigitizer, Thomas White
    11264 Registered Users
    January
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30 31
    Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
    Topic Options
    #78623 - 06/21/10 06:20 AM Re: WWYD?! Moved recently- not letting into program [Re: Cricket2]
    jolene77 Offline

Thanks- I am new to all this and have trouble finding good info about the different test on the web (and have a hard time finding a contact locally to explain this stuff) It is so great to have this forum!!!! I am learning so much.

We had a full work up on DS @ 1.5 years ago with a private psych becuase we were worried about LDs (very behind in reading and writing at that time) and he said he was to young at the time to get a true picture weather his issues were caused by his speech (hard to spell and read when having trouble pronouncing words and sounds) or if there were other issues involved. He wanted us to re-evaluate a year later- but DS completely caught up with reading as is improving greatly with spelling so we never did it. Now considering going ahead with it since our insurance will cover it. Hopefully they will do the best and appropriate test if we do go through them. Plus we will have a better explanation of all these results!

Anyways- Daddy got ahold of someone from the gifted regional office this morning and they seemed really reciptive to helping us out. They started by giving us some one local to talk to who is assigned to DS school. Hopefully this will be a great starting point!!!

Edited by jolene77 (06/21/10 06:22 AM)

#78637 - 06/21/10 08:52 AM Re: WWYD?! Moved recently- not letting into program [Re: jolene77]
    jolene77 Offline

Yeah!!! They are going to let us submit a package for consideration. So excited- I have no clue if his scores are good enough for the program here - but at least we will have the opportunity to try now and that is all I really wanted.

#78673 - 06/21/10 07:10 PM Re: WWYD?! Moved recently- not letting into program [Re: jolene77]
    BethG Offline

Loc: NoVA
    OP, I think perhaps you are in FCPS? I know that there is a process for kids who move in mid year to test in, but my understanding is that they make you wait until January of the following year for acceptance. But if they are allowing you to submit a package right now, that is a good sign.

If it is FCPS, they test all second graders with the CoGAT and NNAT, but there are other forms as well and parents can also submit work samples or outside test results.

We are in FCPS and the GT identification process here is arcane and mysterious! If it is FCPS and you have further questions, I'll to to help if I can.

I would also suggest joining the FCAG Yahoo group (link can be found at fcag.org).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  M-Moderator, Mark D. 
    Recent Posts
    Looking for advice on how to proceed...
    by aeh
    Yesterday at 01:04 PM
    Correlation btw WASI & WISC? Referral form weight?
    by Mali
    01/27/23 12:06 AM
    Recommendations for high-IQ society to join?
    by indigo
    01/20/23 05:02 PM
    Helping gifted ppl
    by indigo
    01/20/23 04:55 PM
    2e or Misbehaving Because of Other Reasons?
    by aeh
    01/14/23 05:03 PM
    Davidson Institute Twitter