Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    LOL! You don't want me as principal. I'm WAAAAAY too flighty and disorganized lately!

I have a list of HS links a mile long, so if you need anything there, let me know. I'd be glad to give you anything I've got.

In the meantime, hang in there. I'm hoping for better days for you and your kids.

K-

Kriston
    Thanks, hope you enjoy the PM I just sent you.

I

Oh neato!
    I hate to think of you having to start all over again with C-Dog. It is my experience that being around adults who think your child has "something wrong with them" isn't good for the child's self-esteem!

Please keep fighting no matter how you feel, and fake being pushy if they aren't responding to the 'nice' approach.
    ((pout))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    K
    Awww 'Neato, having 2 coming home from school miserable sounds really terrible!

My DS7 sounds like he's in a similar spot as your DD7. "All the work I do at school, I already know". And he is in the class of 26 that is laden with discipinary issues. And it was right after the holidays last year where he started complaining heavily about kindergarten.

"The dumbest one in class" phenomena is interesting. I distictly remember feeling that way as a child, and DS comes out with that every once in a while. I wonder if it has more to do with knowing intuitively that you're different from almost everyone you come in contact with?

I hope DD7's pull out gets back in place on schedule, and the child psychologist will back you up for a grade skip! It sounds like a rough road! Definitely keep us posted.

Yes, "the dumbest one in class" comment has me concerned. I think you may be on to something she is VERY intuitive. What bothers me is we already know the teacher doesn't think DD5 is "the cream of the crop". Rembember that lovely thread? What if she is "reading" some of that and internalizing it?
    Am I overthinking this?

I had a good talk with principle today. We have a plan to meet with teacher, social worker and principle after they've all had a conversation.
    I do think the conversation went well and is promising. We'll see how this goes. I think principle is understanding about some of my concerns.

DD8(I keep calling her DD7, but she turned 8 two weeks ago!)started her program back up today! HOORAY!!!!

FWIW, I am glad DD7 did tell teacher in her own words what your son is saying at home. I think the teacher needs to hear it from the child instead of the parent all the time.

You mentioned DS7 started complaining after the holidays. I'm pretty sure it's common in most schools to start heavy review in January.
    DD5 keeps telling us (and everyone now, she told my religous education class today) that after President's Day she is moving to first grade. I've told her that's not happening and she just gives me a blank stare. I don't think she believes me. I'm going to be afraid to pick her up from school the day after President's Day!!!!!!

Incog

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I don't think you're overthinking it.

I am glad her program started up again. At least not ALL their promises are falling by the wayside! Yippee!

Hang in there!

Kriston
    K
    K
    I definitely don't think you're overthinking it either. GT kids are very in tuned to what goes on around them.

Last week I was sitting at a gymnastics class for DD3. 2 mothers were having a conversation in front of a boy I'm guessing to be around my DS's age (1st or 2nd grade). I could not BELIEVE the things they were talking about in front of this boy. My DS would inquisition me and reprimand me for about an hour if I would have had this conversation in front of him. It struck me that perhaps it is a GT thing. I'm not sure I would have had this conversation in front of my 3 year old.

All that sounds encouraging! I hope the good news keeps rolling in.

I'm so glad the program started up again! Yea - at least they kept their word about that.

I'm sorry about DD5 though. My DS10 has said many times he is the "dumbest". This usually comes out of frustration with whatever he is having trouble with at the moment (part of his visual problem usually). It makes me feel awful when he says this so I know how you feel.

You'll have to let us know how it all goes after President's Day. Good luck with that!

(btw LOVE the magnifying glass for your icon. Makes me think of Sherlock Holmes every time I see it) smile

D
    D
    Kriston,
    I like to pass on a tip that helped both my kids memorize the times tables when my dd entered the grade where instant recall of multiplication was first stressed.

I stole an idea from the �captive audience� advertisers. I bought a times table poster from an educational store and hung it up right in front of the commode in the bathroom that my kids share.

As I�ve mentioned before, they are visual learners, so this worked like a charm without the drill.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks! I'll give that a try! DS6 dawdles when he's on the toilet (just like he does EVERYTHING else, too!), so this might be just the thing!

laugh

Kriston
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM