Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #77816 06/09/10 02:13 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    h

Last edited by master of none; 12/26/13 09:16 PM.
    B
    B
    Thanks Master of None and congrats - I had never heard of an assistive tech eval and went to go look it up after I read your post....this is exactly what my DS7 needs badly with his Dyspraxia....funny how things/information are NEVER offered at his IEP meetings. I had no clue that I could ask for this eval. The first thing I told them at his IEP meeting this past month was how concerned I was about how his handwriting is becoming a massive issue - his hands are not even coming close to being able to write down what his brain is wanting to put down onto paper and it causes him to shut down completely due to frustration. I tried talking to them about being able to use a laptop in the classroom or voice software that a past private OT had recommended or being able to answer verbally on long answer questions so that it would allow him to continue to work at his level and they had no clue what i was talking about (or they just acted dumb) Thanks for the heads up and wish you guys the best of luck!

Congrats!!!! 100 times and you got it! Good job smile

M
    M
    Way to go, MoN!

Let's hope our DC end up with as much dilligence as you have!

T
    T
    You can get a copy of a Policys and Procudures Manual from your State Department of Education for FREE! It has all the forms for IEP's and all the information about IEP's. Does the Special Education Director give you a "Parent Survey" to fill out at every IEP meeting? In Oklahoma parents are suppost to recieve a Parent Survey with a postage free envelope to mail to the State Department of Education's, Special Education Department. The State Department does focused monitoring to determine if Districs are in compliance with State and Federal guidelines. There is a Focused Monitoring Comittee that meets one a year to determine what Special Education Services need improvement. You can contact your Special Education Department and ask for the names and e-mail addresses of the person who is in charge to notify them of the problems you are having at your IEP meeting. All state are required to have a Parent Center to educate parents for free of how to do IEP's. You should receive information at every IEP meeting that has a list of parent resources. Which includes the phone number of the Parents Center. Parents Centers have conferences you can attend for free. You can request training on how to support your 2E childs educational needs. If your state doesn't have programs to support you. You can request them. The more parents who e-mail requests for needed School Distric Professional Development Training for Twice Exceptional Children, improves getting those services. Google: Montgomery County Maryland, Twice Exceptional Children-Guide. There is a amazing Guide that tells how to provide services for 2E children. You may already know this info. but I didn't and would really have loved someone to tell me. I also attended IEP meeting and didn't know any of this info. If you get the book From Emotions to Advocacy,Second Edition, there is alot of information in it that helped me. Like, you have to put all your requsts in writing or they don't exist. Leave a papertrail of letters. (has examples of letters in the book). My 2E also has dysgraphia,dyslexia. Thanks to this board I have been able to gather wonderful info. from all. I am so happy for you that you are getting the service. The book Overcomming Dylexia also has information and resources you might want to ask for at your IEP meeting. Wishing you the best!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM