Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 76 of 268 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 267 268
    E
    E
    well done for your DS, vicam!

Last night Hanni (2 yrs 1 month) moved my magazines from a tippy spot on top of a pillow to a flatter part of the bed. "More stable," she said. She cracks me up! I just love how her little mind works.

Today at a coffee shop, I was complimenting DS on his being very polite, including a very vague reference to his age when I heard a little gasp from behind me. A very nice woman had turned around in her chair and was staring.

"I thought he was FIVE!" she said.

wink

I guess he really WAS being polite. (mostly please and thank you, and some negotiation around what size of muffin pieces should be eaten by small boys) Politeness has been our big project lately, since I was getting tired of him hitting people and throwing food. So this is really MY brag. DS was polite, but I darned well get the credit for pointing out he SHOULD be wink

<giggle>

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    T
    T
    While shopping today my DD who just turned four was sitting in a cart with a squirrel figurine she talked me into buying entertaining the people in line behind us and told them it was a "Squirrel Nutkin" from Beatrix Potter. An older gentleman asked what kind of squirrel he was and she said, "An impertinent little squirrel" and they all just stopped since they were expecting something like
    "a brown squirrel" LOL This really isn't a brag per se, but a cute story I only share here

Originally Posted by Michaela
    Today at a coffee shop, I was complimenting DS on his being very polite, including a very vague reference to his age when I heard a little gasp from behind me. A very nice woman had turned around in her chair and was staring.

"I thought he was FIVE!" she said.

wink

I guess he really WAS being polite. (mostly please and thank you, and some negotiation around what size of muffin pieces should be eaten by small boys) Politeness has been our big project lately, since I was getting tired of him hitting people and throwing food. So this is really MY brag. DS was polite, but I darned well get the credit for pointing out he SHOULD be wink

<giggle>

Well deserved brag! I'm scratching my head why the woman was shocked by a young child's politeness though. My DD (3 1/2) has always had manners from a very young age: she learned to say please and thank you before she was even a year old. Now it is second nature for her and she doesn't even think twice about it.

S
    S
    These are cute- love the impertinent squirrel comment!

I was sitting with my busy 2 yo son at the start of church services, keeping him occupied till it was time to go to the play group. He was chattering away about all of the "H" cars he had seen in the lot- Hondas, Hyundais LOL. And asked if there were any Ferraris to be seen. He was working on trying to write letters with a quiet chatter. Later the lady who was sitting in front of us came over and said she was shocked at his advanced vocabulary and knowledge of letters. She kept saying, "good luck with school he's too smart as it is".
    LOL.

I also feel very proud because we were at the park today, and he had extremely good manners and self control with an older child who wouldn't share his cars. Nick went over, introduced himself, and asked politely if he could play with him. (the boy had 10 cars all to himself). The other LO wrapped his arms around all the cars and refused to play/share despite his mom prompting him. My sweet LO just kept politely saying, "please, will you share with me? I'd love to play with you and your cars?"
    He never lost his temper. He didn't hit/grab/yell. just calmly walked away after I explained that the other child wasn't in a mood to share and maybe we needed to find something else to do.
    I was very proud.
    Oh, and he grabbed and slid down the "fireman's pole" at the park unassisted. shocked

J
    J
    My DC go to a sitter's house for the summer. She is an upcoming college freshman. Her mom used to watch DC for a year when DS was about 18mos (DD was born within that year) until he was 2.5. Anyway, our sitter has a sister who is an upcoming 5th grader. Yesterday DS6 was doing multiplication. Sitter's mom asked him to help her daugther (the 5th grader), as she is still struggling with multiplication!!! DOH!

B
    B
    my HG+ DS8 started off the school year with a total inability to spell, total reluctance to read ... and although his lexile was 392, which is average for 2nd grade, I knew he just wasn't leaping ahead as from all other evidence he could.

He just did his final Lexile assessment ... and he had jumped 500 points!!!! to 865 and mostly memorized how to spell ... and now even though he doesn't read much other than Foxtrot and Calvin and Hobbes at home, it's all good!

C
    C
    Barbara,
    That's awesome. It's so great when everything clicks in their minds like that.

T
    T
    my DD who recently turned four has been reading words forever. I know she is capable of reading very "big" words and does so with no effort or very little effort, but never, ever will read a book to me and I don't push it because when I do, she gets more unlikely to cooperate. Last night I was really hoping she would read to me so I dug out a very, very simple book with CVC words etc. and put it in the pile of books we read before bed, and she reached over and picked up a much, much longer, much much more complicated book with long paragraphs and read it cover to cover for us and was quite fluent. I didn't even ask. What got her to do it was she was pretending she was me and that gave her more confidence I guess. Why had she hidden all that?????? Not sure if this is a brag, but I wanted to share it.

Page 76 of 268 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM