Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 300 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #77679 06/08/10 08:10 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I am somewhat worried that dd11 is hurting boys' feelings. Over the course of the past year, she's had three boys who are interested in her and two of them have asked her to "go out" with them. One, in particular, apparently gave her a flower and tried to give her an inexpensive necklace, which she refused. She told him that she'd need to "ask her mother."

I don't know if she is just not interested in boys yet or just not interested in the ones who like her. I also don't need to have her "going out" with boys yet if she doesn't want to. I don't want her to hurt their feelings, however.

Two of these boys were at least a year or so older than dd b/c she is young for grade due to a fall bd and a grade skip. She'll be an 8th grader in the fall and will turn 12 a few weeks after school starts. The age difference may be making a difference here b/c the boys are at a different place in terms of their interest. However, I do know other kids who are a grade below her who are "going out" with boys which seems to entail saying that said person is your boyfriend/girlfriend and not much else.

What can I tell her to say to these boys that is likely to leave them not hurt but doesn't force her to "date" someone she doesn't want to?

J
    J
    I think blaming it on mom and/or dad is a good way to go. smile

G
    GeniusZooKeeper
    Unregistered
    GeniusZooKeeper
    Unregistered
    G
    I wish I knew what to tell you. My son has been experiencing something similiar I guess....

He is 8 but he had this girl he loved when he was 4 in PA. We are now in Virginia and the little girl isn't. Last year, one of the girls in his new school kissed him on the cheek and he came home in tears. He said that he already had a girlfriend. LOL.

I am not ready for him to have an interest in girls yet but he does and I guess I have to deal with that.

Just the same, I always tell him that he should tell the girls that his mom said he isn't allowed to have a girlfriend yet.

#77688 06/08/10 08:36 AM
    J
    J
    GZK - My DS6 has had the same girlfriend since he was 3. He's going to a new school next year, but still says the girl is his girlfriend. smile

G
    GeniusZooKeeper
    Unregistered
    GeniusZooKeeper
    Unregistered
    G
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    GZK - My DS6 has had the same girlfriend since he was 3. He's going to a new school next year, but still says the girl is his girlfriend. smile

I love the loyalty but I sort of want him to move on. Chances are, he won't be seeing this girl again for a VERY long time lol. It's so cute though. He even bought her a ring out of a bubble gum machine and "married" her before we left.

#77691 06/08/10 08:41 AM
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by GeniusZooKeeper
    Originally Posted by JJsMom

I love the loyalty but I sort of want him to move on. Chances are, he won't be seeing this girl again for a VERY long time lol. It's so cute though. He even bought her a ring out of a bubble gum machine and "married" her before we left.

I imagine he will when he meets the next Ms. Right. wink

Originally Posted by Cricket2
    I am somewhat worried that dd11 is hurting boys' feelings. Two of these boys were at least a year or so older than dd b/c she is young for grade due to a fall bd and a grade skip. She'll be an 8th grader in the fall and will turn 12 a few weeks after school starts. The age difference may be making a difference here b/c the boys are at a different place in terms of their interest. However, I do know other kids who are a grade below her who are "going out" with boys which seems to entail saying that said person is your boyfriend/girlfriend and not much else.What can I tell her to say to these boys that is likely to leave them not hurt but doesn't force her to "date" someone she doesn't want to?

I'm personally of the opinion that 'middle school dating' - as long as it doesn't involve more than kissing - is a really positive thing for the kids who are interested. I would encourage you to look at the project of dd11 learning to gracefully turn these boys down as part of the learning experience, and not make it too easy for her. If you can get her to talk about how it's going for her, what her options are, and how she does feel on the inside that would seem to be good. I dont' think the gradeskip has much of an impact here because there is so much variation between boys and girls at this age, and from one child to the next as well. Some of my girl friends were completely uninterested in boys until they were 16, and some started at age 8. I don't think that this is as much physically driven as how interest the child is in social status - particularly what you are describing. Apparently this has been studied and social status goes up when the children identify as a couple. So my guess is that dd11 is dashing the boy's hopes of social climbing more than their 'feelings.'

There is so much individual variation, and a variety of expectations from town to town, but I wouldn't nescessarily assume that 14 year old 8th grade boys are in such a 'different place in terms of their interests. I'd just try to keep posted on the norms of the group that she is swimming in. I was prepared for things to have changed so much between what I remember from High School and what my son has to face as a 13 year old 9th grader - but from what I've been able to sluth so far, things are reassuringly the same.

Good luck,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    J
    I would look at it from a different direction - do you want your daughter to feel obligated to accept male attentions because it's what *they* want? I'm sure the boy's intention was sweet, but by adult standards it's inappropriate to give a gift to a woman you don't have a relationship with.

It sounds to me as though your daughter is handling it beautifully. I would be wary ot setting her up to be susceptible to emotional blackmail. The boys' feelings are not her problem. She is obligated to be polite and respectful, period.

G
    GeniusZooKeeper
    Unregistered
    GeniusZooKeeper
    Unregistered
    G
    Originally Posted by JaneSmith
    I would look at it from a different direction - do you want your daughter to feel obligated to accept male attentions because it's what *they* want? I'm sure the boy's intention was sweet, but by adult standards it's inappropriate to give a gift to a woman you don't have a relationship with.

It sounds to me as though your daughter is handling it beautifully. I would be wary ot setting her up to be susceptible to emotional blackmail. The boys' feelings are not her problem. She is obligated to be polite and respectful, period.

I agree completely with this as well. JaneSmith makes a VERY good point about where your daughters obligations should lie.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by JaneSmith

I totally agree as well! Those kind of skills will serve her well down the line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM