Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 74 of 268 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 267 268
    M
    M
    This isn't much of a brag, but I can't find the "kids say the darnedest things" (or whatever it was called) thread any more...

We went to a military re-enactment event on the long weekend, and at one station, people were teaching children semaphore. When it was Groucho's turn (he's 6), the gentleman asked him what he wanted to spell, and Groucho said, "Well, 'nonchalant' has always been one of my favourite words." For some reason, this really cracked me up!

L
    L
    My 12 year old son and I went to a homeschool spelling bee yesterday. He was nervous not because he didn't know all the words, but because he competed at state level a few years ago and misspelled what he thought was an easy word. He had never misspelled the word before. He called what happened a glitch. He was worried that it might happen again. He told me he would much rather sing a solo on stage than do this, but he decided to try it.

When they finally called his group up on stage there was no outward sign of anxiety. Instead, he seemed to exude confidence. There was no glitch this time. He won. He conquered the glitch and he had a nice trophy to add to his collection.

He also found out that he got the part of Mr. Mayor in Seussical. He was very happy about it and I wish I'd had the camera when I first told him. He said he didn't really want to play the part of the little boy, even though he liked the song "Alone in the Universe" that he auditioned with. He was in the age range to play JoJo, but he just doesn't seem like a little boy any more after the last growth spurt. He is almost as tall as I am.

This past weekend was our dance recital for DD (3 1/2). She has been in ballet and tap for the past 2 years but this was to be her first real recital on a stage, with lights and production. I've been a little nervous about it, especially since she invited all the grandparents and in the past she was literally deer caught in headlights. Boy what a difference a year makes. Saturday was dress rehearsal and the only day we, the parents, were allowed to record. She was great; did all of the routine. The next day was the actual recital and she fell asleep in the car right before we got there so I was concerned that she wasn't going to do as well. She did wonderfully and though she was technically better the day before; we really saw her personality on that stage. She was super excited for the jump and almost jumped at the wrong time but realized her mistake and transitioned back into the routine with no problems, but you could see the excitement building on her face and when it was finally time to jump she was beaming from ear to ear. I couldn't be prouder of her.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Trillium
    DS4 and I have a game where we'll go back and forth for a while like this:

"I love you"
    "I love you too"
    "I love you three"
    "I love you 40 million" etc...

Usually it's just random numbers until we get to billions of googols or infinity. But yesterday, it went like this:

DS: "I love you 11"
    Me: "I love you 22"
    DS (catching on): "I love you 33"
    Me: "I love you 44"...

We went all the way to 198 before I had to skip ahead to a million--mental math was never my strong suit. :-)

This made me grin from ear to ear! DS6 and I still do this too!

S
    S
    Originally Posted by minniemarx
    We went to a military re-enactment event on the long weekend, and at one station, people were teaching children semaphore. When it was Groucho's turn (he's 6), the gentleman asked him what he wanted to spell, and Groucho said, "Well, 'nonchalant' has always been one of my favourite words." For some reason, this really cracked me up!

I love it! That's funny, that sounds so much like something my random DS (almost 6) would say. He always seems to say really funny things that come from who knows where. I actually started that kids say the darndest things thread forever ago and was looking for it the other day because I had a few good ones. I guess I will have to start it again sometime.

F
    F
    We were at the park, DD20months and there was a bike and she wanted to get on it and ride it. I told her it was not ours so we could not ride it and she said, "ask" Also this morning she was playing with the fridge magnets with HIT, HOT and HAT. I don't think she completely gets it yet but shes being a sherlock holmes and trying to break that code!

My DS4 loves a game called Meeblings where you can make your own levels (he's made about 150). He'd be delighted if anyone would care to play a few. Some solve themselves.

http://www.meeblingsworld.com/Aquax

DS7 asked me yesterday if he could read me "the following narrative." I giggled silently to myself hearing that phrase and later I asked him if I could read HIM a narrative. He said, "Actually, I prefer expository writing." Being so long out of school myself, I had to ask him what that meant...:) Nan

V
    V
    Yeah some positives.. Last night was our elementary achievement fair. It was a chance for the kids to present research projects they have worked on since February. The kids were positively judged and given comment sheets. It felt so good for my DS with tourette's to get such great comments about his presentation. He was complimented on his in depth knowledge of subject- cats. He spoke clear with minimal stutter/ticcing. Even made eye contact. Several adults who he works with came specifically to see him and his project. They all had positive things to say and how much they look forward to working with him. It was interesting that the one teacher who he has the most problems with wasn't there. He received a badge from Math Olympiad. It was just great to see academics celebrated, even the Superendent was there. Go smart kids.

Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    This past weekend was our dance recital for DD (3 1/2). She has been in ballet and tap for the past 2 years but this was to be her first real recital on a stage, with lights and production. I've been a little nervous about it, especially since she invited all the grandparents and in the past she was literally deer caught in headlights. Boy what a difference a year makes. Saturday was dress rehearsal and the only day we, the parents, were allowed to record. She was great; did all of the routine. The next day was the actual recital and she fell asleep in the car right before we got there so I was concerned that she wasn't going to do as well. She did wonderfully and though she was technically better the day before; we really saw her personality on that stage. She was super excited for the jump and almost jumped at the wrong time but realized her mistake and transitioned back into the routine with no problems, but you could see the excitement building on her face and when it was finally time to jump she was beaming from ear to ear. I couldn't be prouder of her.

Hey, very cool! We are going to dance recitals for our ds9 and dd4 in a couple weeks; ds has been working hard on ballet and hip-hop routines and this will be dd's first recital, she is very excited.

Page 74 of 268 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM