Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #71613 03/16/10 11:33 AM
    R
    renie1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    hi all
    my son will be taking the inView aptitude test in school next week- does anyone know how it correlates with WISC-IV? I have found only a couple of sentences about it on the web (including an entry on Hoagies) but no real info or experiences from others. I'd like to get confirmation that the hard ceiling is 140.. which it says on Hoagies but i can't find any other source. I want to make sure that if my DD7 scores say, a 139, that the school won't say "its only a 139" when if the hard ceiling is 140 then its really a great score.. if you get that! Also i read somewhere that it has a SD of 16- but is that really possible if there is a hard ceiling of 140.. Or does that just mean it doesn't bother to measure kids into the third SD above the mean?
    irene

R
    renie1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    thanks dottie. its so frustrating to have all this info here about these different tests and my school seems to have gone for an oddball.
    irene

S
    SL9 Offline
    S
    My dd's district also uses the InView. Like you, I wish there were more information out there on this test.

My 2nd grader got a CSI of 141 on the InView. The range was given as 141-141, so it is my guess that she has in fact hit the ceiling on the test, validating the comment on the Hoagies site. I did get age- AND grade-based percentiless by section. And the results sheet noted that she hit the max score on a few sections. Overall she was in the 99th percentile.

The test has a mean of 100 and an sd of 16 so her index score puts her in the 2.5 sd range and there is no room to go up from there. It looks like it cannot accurately measure anything at or above that level, and so to get an accurate picture above that range, you'd have to go with a different test.

I have no idea how the InView score would correlate to any other IQ test, especially with the low ceiling limitation.

Last edited by SL9; 04/06/10 05:16 PM.
    SL9 #73373 04/06/10 06:20 PM
    R
    renie1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    thank you SL9, my DD7 is actually taking the InView tomorrow so the timing of this is great. How long did it take for you to get results? I am wondering if its going to be a wait of a few months.. Also was the results sheet generated by the school or is it the one that the test company provides?
    irene

W
    W
    Hi,
    Our school system uses Inview as a screen for who should be tested for the AIG program later in the year. They test in 3rd and 6th grade. They keep it very under the radar and do not give the results out to parents unless you make a request. If you don't get your results within 4 weeks contact your school.
    Wendy

S
    SL9 Offline
    S
    We got ours from the district in 4-5 weeks.

Our school uses it for G&T identification with a 97th p'tile cutoff, along with the Terra Nova achievement test.

SL9 #76613 05/21/10 08:03 PM
    C
    C
    My daughter, just got her Inview score back and got a 141. She maxed out on two of the five subtests.

Our district uses the Inview for placement in our high cognitive gifted program.

S
    SL9 Offline
    S
    CareBear, good for her!
    Have you done any outside testing as well? I'm very interested in what that 141 could translate into on a more well known test.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM