Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Val
    .. A major problem with our school system is that it pretends that below average learners can be made average or above. This is wishful thinking, and it's the basis of most of our problems.
    I'd also venture to say that at least my local schools seem to be of the impression that bright avg kids can also be made to be gifted, which is also wishful thinking IMHO. We just had an article in our local paper about how one of the local districts is aspiring to have most of their kids in AP or IB classes. I can't imagine that this is a realistic goal.

The Liebniz notation for Calculus has made Calculus accessible for many more than other wise could use it.

Being able to combine things meaningfully and with brevity that others will understand is a key component of science. So it is in art as well.

Sometimes, if you have a problem, the problem is the notation.

Last edited by Austin; 06/23/10 08:37 PM.
    P
    P
    Steven, I think I'd have to delve into the relm of phiosophy in order to progress with the art discussion.

My thoughts started off with wondering if it is a travesty even to have such a thing as a MFA. Then I drifted off to comparing an MFA to canned pop music derived from formulae, which though successful can be pretty taseless to me yet still contain some of the feel of art. Yet it doesn't have, to my way of thinking, the soul of art. The edginess. The ability to explore. I then wondered if fine art could be defined completely via math, and if that would change what art is?

And then, there's the elephant who paints... Is it art? Does the elephant need to have a connection with the human soul or is it Art because even though it's not created with human intelligence or human creativity, the end result is how I percieve it.

Is a photograph art? Has the artist done anything other than to identify "gee, this is pretty" and snap something that nature created randomly? Does that mean nature, without anything to say at all, has created art? If a tree fell in the forest and no one was around to photograph it, would it still be art?

Lol, time for my meds.

@
    @
    Regarding art, I dare you to work through Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

Check these before and after sketches by people who supposedly couldn't draw.
    http://drawright.com/gallery.htm

Val Offline
    You know, one of the things that really bugs me is that people tell me I can draw if I JUST TRY.

I have no talent for drawing and nothing will change that.

Think about how statements like this could have a nasty effect on a child, and make him feel inadequate: You can draw if you have a dream about drawing! You can draw if you follow my course! The only reason you're not reading at grade level is because you're not trying! It's all your fault!!

Get over it people. Let people be below average at what we're not good at, so that we can move on and find things we CAN do.

Memo from reality: wishful thinking won't make it so.

Sheesh.

Val

A
    A
    Hi, I just thought that I'd jump in. I was in a gifted art program in public school and I can't draw. Never could. I did check out the before and afters http://drawright.com/gallery.htm. They have learned a technique. I do think that most people can learn this, if it gives them satisfaction that is great. I do, however, wholeheartedly agree with the post above.

"Get over it people. Let people be below average at what we're not good at, so that we can move on and find things we CAN do."

I spent a long time agonizing over that fact that I couldn't draw. It was a profound waste of time, especially since I didn't enjoy drawing. In the end I majored in sculpture/installation. It was a very good fit for me and I am comfortable with my inability to draw realistic images. Actually, I'm strangely proud of this inability.

And.. I took a second look at those before/afters, I think that all of the "befores" are much more interesting. The afters are generic.

Last edited by annaliisa; 06/24/10 02:43 PM.
    B
    B
    I believe you, Val! No one can know better than you whether or not you're a cr@ppy artist who will never be good. smile I will never be a salesperson -- I just don't have the talent or the instinct for it. And it's OK!

Regarding the artist/scientist question: I know a lot of people who have talent in both areas. They tend to approach their art in a disciplined, analytical way. That might not be some people's idea of what an artist should be like -- artists are impulsively, wildly creative, right? Maybe...

And to get back to the OP by our bitter, frustrated Generation Nexter -- it is sad to me that smart and talented people seem to be choosing to have fewer children than others. It's really frustrating to think that the population might be getting more stupid, selfish and intolerant because of that. I hope he/she overcomes this phase and contributes to the betterment of our world by becoming an awesome parent to hordes of well-adjusted little egg-heads.

J
    J
    I spent a long time agonizing over that fact that I couldn't draw. It was a profound waste of time, especially since I didn't enjoy drawing. In the end I majored in sculpture/installation. It was a very good fit for me and I am comfortable with my inability to draw realistic images. Actually, I'm strangely proud of this inability.

If I had to save lives by drawing, everyone would die. Seriously. Unless of course, I only had to draw stick figures. However, I impress many people with my ability to sculpt, especially out of Play-Doh. smile I cannot draw a flower better than an average 5 year old, but I can sculpt one beautifully!

R
    R
    Just a quick thought 1) most people who have gifted children are gifted. So, been there, done that, and have the t-shirt to prove it. As an adult your life is what you make of it, and sometimes you have to leave the pain behind.

2) Not all gifted people are quick. DH's IQ is hitting close to your range, and would be there if his processing speeds were faster. His family drives my family nuts.

rocky

Originally Posted by @HomeDad
    Regarding art, I dare you to work through Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

Check these before and after sketches by people who supposedly couldn't draw.
    http://drawright.com/gallery.htm

Hey, a two year old thread that's been resurrected for no good reason!

You know, I've often considered trying to make the world more like Camp Hill, which is where @HomeDad is from.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM