Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 36 of 268 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 267 268
    Shelly... I LOVE your post on DS4.

E
    E
    Wonderful! Super Speller

Super-Spella!!

I love it!!!

P
    P
    I am in serious GT denial but here goes. DS5 just got a K'nex set that does 10 different vehicles. He had the kid K'nex for a while but this is his first time with what he calls "big kid" K'nex. He loved them so much that he sat down for 2.5 hours & did every vehicle in the kit by himself! A few of the easier ones he didn't even use the directions on. I sat with him & watched but he did all the work. I must have heard how much fun he was having 5 times. I guess it is ok to get ferris wheel now. I am sure he will love working with motors.

N
    N
    shellymos, that is too funny about the rainbow story! My son did that with a story about a clown a couple years ago--the title (written first) was "The Clown Who Did a Flip-Flop", and it was all about this little girl and a clown, and nowhere did anyone ever do a flip-flop. It still drives me crazy! smile

Actually DS6 is a numbers kid above all else--he didn't even get an imagination until he was nearly 5, so it's great to see him writing original stories.

So what's a Quiddler? It sounds like I might need it!

Mr W got his first real haircut today.

The barber said he'd "never had a baby who followed my instructions before." and that "he was extraordinarily well behaved" and "its like he is 5 years old."

Originally Posted by PurpleHeather
    I am in serious GT denial but here goes. DS5 just got a K'nex set that does 10 different vehicles. He had the kid K'nex for a while but this is his first time with what he calls "big kid" K'nex. He loved them so much that he sat down for 2.5 hours & did every vehicle in the kit by himself! A few of the easier ones he didn't even use the directions on. I sat with him & watched but he did all the work. I must have heard how much fun he was having 5 times. I guess it is ok to get ferris wheel now. I am sure he will love working with motors.

http://www.knex.com/products/

Wow!!!

I want some for myself!!!

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    Actually DS6 is a numbers kid above all else--he didn't even get an imagination until he was nearly 5, so it's great to see him writing original stories.

So what's a Quiddler? It sounds like I might need it!

thats pretty cool that the imagination hit later. DS can be highly creative at times, but highly logical and non-creative at others. It will be interesting to see what happens in the years to come. He does like to create his own board games by revising existing board games (like chutes and ladders was transformed to 'dice and chutes' where we use multiple dice with all different numbers and go down ladders and up chutes, etc. there are much more complex rules).

Quiddler is lots of fun. I highly recommend the game. It is kind of like a mixture of scrabble and rummy. You start with three cards each and have to make a word (some cards have 2 letters on them). Then each round you get one more card up to 8 cards. You are allowed to make multiple words. You get points based on the letters used (each have different amount of points) and there are also bonuses for longest word and most words. It is lots of fun, I highly recommend it. You can get it on-line and I have seen it in a few stores as well.

B
    B
    This morning my ds6 recited the first half of the Gettysburg address from memory.

V
    V
    Yesterday I taught art in DS7's first grade classroom and the kids were making a Miro-like image with chalk on black paper. They were supposed to close their eyes and draw a squiggle. It was the most creative thing they had to do all year so I was excited to give the kids the opportunity. My son asked if I wanted to hear his story when he was done. I had just seen someone make a Sponge Bob character so I was very proud when he showed me his abstract spaceship. He said, "Here's my spaceship and I'm here in the cockpit. These are the stars around us and we're going to Mars (he had a big red circle like the one in the Miro picture we had talked about earlier). And now I have to add Mars's gravitational field here in gray." I love getting a glimpse of his thoughts and I wish he had kids in his school he could talk with about the things he likes - other than Star Wars.

Page 36 of 268 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM