Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #75884 05/11/10 09:34 PM
    W
    Wyldkat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Today was Music Together which Bear (3.2) loves once he's there, but he hates leaving to go to it. I asked him why, if it was the people, the place, the teacher, the music? He finally answered that he didn't like that he never knew who was going to be there (lots of kids have been absent and there have been several new kids).

At class one of the new kids kept moving the cushions around and Bear would run to put them back just to repeat the process several times. He told me later it wasn't ok for the other boy to move the pillows. It bothered him.

He can't stand it when the rest of the kids are moving around. He goes to the edge of the class and just watches and avoided the other kids almost totally at the last birthday party we went to.

Then after class, in the car, totally out of the blue he said, "I wish class was just me and you. I wish there was JUST me and you and Wolf and Daddy, no one else." He added in a few more people he is very close to after some prodding, but not many.

A three year old shouldn't be saying things like that. I don't know what else we can do. Even his Head Start teacher is coming up against all the same walls we had in her attempts to get help for him. He's still in line to see a psychologist in a month or two and we might have figured out a way to get him into OT, but this just seems like something more than just SID.

Anyone else have kids like this? Anyone have diagnoses? Any suggestions?

C
    C
    Poor sweet little boy. It's wonderful that he can put his feelings into words though. I imagine that will help the therapist teach him how to cope with things better. Maybe as he grows this will change a bit as well.

For now, no suggestions but big hugs!

P
    P
    Obviously I don't know your full situation. It is impossible to know another person's situation online especially from a single post so please don't think I am disagreeing with you. I will say however, that just in what you describe in this post I don't see a lot to be heartbroken about. Some people are introverts. Some kids don't like busy. noisy groups. Some kids mature more quickly or slowly in different areas of development. Those are within the acceptable range of development.

For what it is worth, even as an extrovert I would come away from kids' music classes and preschool totally exhausted and on sensory overload. I would have had more fun if it had only been my kid and maybe one friend. Many three year olds are very noisy, rule breaking and busy. Of course that is developmentally appropriate for many of them but it can still be hard to take.

As I said I don't know the broader picture so I'm not trying to be dismissive. I would though exercise caution on drawing conclusions about your child based on preschool music class. It is not uncommon for kids to find that overwhelming.

W
    Wyldkat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I don't think you are being dismissive. I don't know how much you know about the program, but here is a quick synopsis. Music Together has very small classes. Today there were only 5 children other than Bear and one of those was an infant. None of them were rowdy or antagonistic. There is no expectation for the kids to perform or even join in if they don't want to. Classes are only about 45 min. It is about the most low stress organized kid thing that I have ever experienced. In fact that is why we chose it for him because we felt he needed to start working on some type of interaction with other little ones.

It's not just one class. This is how he is about class every week. This is how he is on playgrounds and at birthday parties. When he said he wanted only him, me, Wolf and Daddy he meant EVER. That is what breaks my heart... I don't think it is him being introverted because he doesn't really seem that way at home. I'm pretty introverted myself and that just doesn't ring right for him.

Last edited by Wyldkat; 05/12/10 12:19 AM.
    M
    M
    I had a very similar experience with my son (now 5). His music class only had a handful of kids, lasted about the same length of time, and had a wonderful and very understanding teacher. My son (he was three at the time) used to through fits about going, but loved it when he was there. Like yours, he likes predictable routines, and there were rarely all of the students in the class each week.

I can tell you that as it was the first thing we did where he was away from family, I would encourage him to go and reward him if he went and stayed for the class. I told him he could leave, and I would take him home, but then there would be no reward. We left without the reward a couple of times (and he was upset, and wanted to go back, but I didn't want him to feel that he could come and go as he pleased in the class). Sometimes it was absolute heck (and I felt guilty, but I also knew if he had no exposure to being away from us, school would be horrid for him), but I persisted, and the day came where he went in happily.

A lot of sensitive kids have hard times transitioning from one activity to another, and especially when they will go into an environment where it is unpredictable. Even though it is very laid back from an adult perspective, for a child who is sensitive, it can be a bit overwhelming. That said, unless he is totally miserable (and as you said, he enjoys it when he's there - he's probably experincing a type of anticipatory anxiety rather than disliking the actual class), learning to deal with this may be a good thing.

D
    D
    Mine struggled terribly with those kinds of situations at that age. He was rigid about routines, frustrated by other kids' failure to adhere to his expectations, and had trouble participating in groups. He has Asperger's Syndrome.

This is not to say yours definitely does; I don't do armchair diagnosis. But "sensory issues" are often a marker of autism spectrum disorders. (And often not; you need a pro to tease this out.) Gifted kids often don't have the conventional language problems or behaviors associated with autism, so they don't get diagnosed right away.

If your gut says something's wrong, I'd pursue it.

I would not trust an OT to make a diagnosis this subtle, nor would I rely on a school psychologist; I'd go to a developmental pediatrician or a neuropsychologist, preferably one with considerable experience in the more subtle end of the autism spectrum. (It took us a few years to get the dx, and we finally got help at the autism center of a children's hospital.)

If they rule everything out, then great, you just have to work on exposure to social settings and let maturity take care of it. If they find something, then you know what you're dealing with and can take positive steps.

Hang in there.

DeeDee

A lot of sensitive kids have hard times transitioning from one activity to another, and especially when they will go into an environment where it is unpredictable. Even though it is very laid back from an adult perspective, for a child who is sensitive, it can be a bit overwhelming. That said, unless he is totally miserable (and as you said, he enjoys it when he's there - he's probably experincing a type of anticipatory anxiety rather than disliking the actual class), learning to deal with this may be a good thing.

I cannot stand a lot of loud random noises. I also know when something is out of place even if it is just a gum wrapper on the floor that has moved. My FIL ( who is at least as smart as I am ) has had panic attacks in Malls to where he had to run to get outside. Neither of us got help with our emotional responses when we were younger, so its kind of hard coded now.

Mr W showed some issues with this early on. As a result of this, to head this off, we've deliberately taken Mr W to Malls and to Sports venues to get him used to lots of noise - starting out when there were not a lot of people to full on crowds. He had an issue or two early on, and we would leave, but he tolerates it just fine, now, and really enjoys hockey and football. He even sat through Dinosaur Live (he got overwhelmed once, so we left, then went back in..)

Mr W does have some funny things like wanting things in specific order or people to do certain things. We tolerate it if we do not already have plans. If it is a problem, we interrupt him and talk to him, take him outside, etc.

The big thing is for him to see his emotions coming, come up with a plan to manage it, then choose to re-engage. A little bit later he needs to learn how his reactions impact others around him. And then a bit later, how to use those feelings to perceive the same in others and then manage them.

Sensitivity is not a bug, it is a feature. Most people are rocks when it comes to perceiving the world around them. Being hyper-aware is just another gift to be valued and shaped.

P
    P
    Yes, I'm familiar with Music Together. I was a parent to the kid who was at the edge of the group and was saying after how he didn't like the way Jacob waved his scarf or the way Hannah moved the pillows, etc. Group classes with preschoolers weren't his thing. And, that's okay because as you get older that really only comes up as a parent or if you decide to be a preschool teacher. What would be the adult equivalent of Music Together? Cocktail party? Dancing? Plenty of people hate both of those.

What is obvious to me in retrospect is that what he wanted from a class and what I wanted were two different things. He wanted content. He was much happier attending lectures and concerts for adults. I wanted him to socialize. Thing is that it really was not a social occasion and he was overwhelmed with that experience. I learned later that group classes are actually not that helpful in making friends. http://www.amazon.com/Good-Friends-Are-Hard-Find/dp/096220367X

I'm not saying you should quit. I think there can be a lot of value in experiences like Music Together and it sounds like he has things to work on. What I would suggest is to not get ahead of yourself thinking this is a problem that means he needs a diagnosis. There are MANY kids who find this sort of class doesn't work that well for them as a preschooler. If you think he has sensory problems certainly getting OT is not a bad idea.

What I would suggest is more important... Help him have plenty of predictable routine and gentle opportunities to expand what he can tolerate. Work on helping him be more flexible and optimistic in his thinking bit by bit. Acknowledge his upset but don't dwell on it or revisit it. Before the situation talk through what to expect emphasizing that things may change. Try out giving him an assignment of something to look for. Could be something neutral - report back how many people were wearing red, or something positive, tell me the song you liked best. He can give you an assignment too. Whatever, just something to focus on and it will help guide your conversations in a more positive direction.

Oh and get this... guess what happened to my kid who was the at the edge of the room as the stressed nonparticipant in Music Together? He's in high school. His hobbies: music and dance.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Sensitivity is not a bug, it is a feature. Most people are rocks when it comes to perceiving the world around them. Being hyper-aware is just another gift to be valued and shaped.

Very well put. I love this.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    I would not trust an OT to make a diagnosis this subtle, nor would I rely on a school psychologist; I'd go to a developmental pediatrician or a neuropsychologist, preferably one with considerable experience in the more subtle end of the autism spectrum. (It took us a few years to get the dx, and we finally got help at the autism center of a children's hospital.)

DeeDee

I agree I would not trust an OT to make this diagnosis. That said though, I would also not trust most developmental pediatricians or neuropsychs to be able to differentiate between a kid who really is on the autism spectrum and a highly gifted, sensitive introvert who is immature in sensory development. There is unfortunately a lot of misdiagnosis of gifted kids.

Last edited by passthepotatoes; 05/12/10 11:02 AM.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM