Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 72 of 268 1 2 70 71 72 73 74 267 268
    Today was the day for Mr W (27 mos) to hand out flowers to his teachers. All we told him at home was that he had to pick out flowers to give to his teachers.

He was very upset that DW put the flowers up front in the car where he could not hold them. We thought he would have a massive fit at school when he had to give them up.

Instead...

When he got to school, without us telling him, he grabbed the flowers from the car, went inside, and on his own, gave flowers to several people - not just his teachers. And he gave every recipient his 50,000 watt smile and his infectious happy laugh when they took the flower.

Last edited by Austin; 05/04/10 02:36 PM.
    M
    M
    DS4 1/2 did a few long division last night
    like 1057 divided by 3, he enjoyed and asked for more:-)

I just need to brag about my maybe gifted "baby" for a minute. She is 11 months old and told me today "steam is hot". (she saw steam coming from a dry cleaners) Whaaa???

She also knows most of her letters by sight and says the letters and sometimes will add a list of things that begin with that letter, ie last week she said "D, dada, doggy". Funny thing is when she sees the number 8 she INSISTS it's a B even if we tell her it's not.

Her latest 3 words: Umbrella, Hammer, and Doctor. Ok so they are not perfectly clear, but close family can understand her and signs them too, so we always understand.

WooHooo, feels so good to say all that stuff out loud! I have to keep it from my friends since they are not very supportive frown.

W
    W
    Wolf(5.8) just figured out division in his head with no real prior explanation! He had to figure out the factors of 60 and said, "Well, 3 goes into 6 twice, but then there's the zero." I jumped in and showed him how it works on paper and he got it immediately. He was so proud of himself and can't wait to tell his ISP teacher the next time he sees her.

Speaking of which, his teacher copied out the last page of his last fractions book (the first in a series of four books our school system uses to bring remedial high school students up to speed) and brought it to the high school math teacher. (I love her sense of humor!!!). She showed it to the poor unsuspecting teacher who looked it over and said, "Looks like the kid has dyslexia." Wolf's teacher said something along the lines of, "That's not the problem, the number reversal is age appropriate. The student is 5." High school teacher's jaw hit the floor according to Wolf's teacher. She added, "You're going to be seeing him in a couple of years." To which the high school teacher responded, "Nope, he'll probably skip right past me." She was curious what Wolf's teacher did with a kid like that. I think the response was, "I'm not sure, but it's working so far." LOL!

Now *thats* the way to make the point wink

<giggle>

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    N
    N
    I received this from Nathaniel's (he's 6, in 1st grade) teacher, and just had to share !!! He was tested recently for the school's "gifted" program, and passed with flying colors smile

""" I haven't seen the individual tests, but the composite scores are certainly more than impressive! Nathaniel is an amazingly gifted child in so many ways. Academically he is more advanced than any child I have ever taught. But even more than that, he is a delightful person. He is funny and he understands humor. (I love having someone in the room who gets me!!) He is kind and caring to other people and has a deeply empathetic nature. Watching him help some of my students who struggle warms my heart. He does not judge others who may not be as bright as he is, instead, he is happy to help with a word, share a strategy, or encourage. Nathaniel's behavior is appropriate for his age, he readily accepts challenges, and is just a wonderfully well-rounded individual. I am so lucky to know him, and you as well"""

Needless to say I'm a very proud mommy - and what an e-mail to get on Mother's Day !

M
    M
    The other day, DS8 asked me if I could explain pi to him. He thought he was being tricky, and said it would take forever to explain because pi never ended. I told him I could explain it in a single sentence. (pi = the ratio of the diameter of a circle to its circumference.)

While I was explaining, DS6 insisted I explain to him, too, and was far more excited to discuss it than DS8. DS6 then got a bunch of different things for us to measure (e.g., cake pan, plates) and test whether we could ALWAYS determine what the circumference would be from the diameter. It was amazing to see him be able to do the multiplication, and understand the concept.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by NCPMom
    I received this from Nathaniel's (he's 6, in 1st grade) teacher, and just had to share !!! He was tested recently for the school's "gifted" program, and passed with flying colors smile

""" I haven't seen the individual tests, but the composite scores are certainly more than impressive! Nathaniel is an amazingly gifted child in so many ways. Academically he is more advanced than any child I have ever taught. But even more than that, he is a delightful person. He is funny and he understands humor. (I love having someone in the room who gets me!!) He is kind and caring to other people and has a deeply empathetic nature. Watching him help some of my students who struggle warms my heart. He does not judge others who may not be as bright as he is, instead, he is happy to help with a word, share a strategy, or encourage. Nathaniel's behavior is appropriate for his age, he readily accepts challenges, and is just a wonderfully well-rounded individual. I am so lucky to know him, and you as well"""

Needless to say I'm a very proud mommy - and what an e-mail to get on Mother's Day !
    You should be proud - what a lovely email to get!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    J
    J
    I don't know if this goes here, but it's more of a "story" than a "brag"...

DS6 came home yesterday and stated his teacher asked all the kids to assess the job her and her co-teacher (he has 2 part time teachers) are doing. He told her that she was doing fine except in math and that she really needed to bump them up a few levels since they are only adding and subtracting right now (DS is doing multiplication and simple division on his own). Oh to be a fly on the wall to see his teacher's reaction!!!

A
    A
    DD has been able to sound out almost anything for some time now...but lately she is wither doing it completly in her head or just knows the words now. This week she read snuggle, google, and several other words I know she has never read without stopping to sound them out....I have seen reading go from sounding out everything to automatic for her in the past week....and it has been really cool to see

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    Page 72 of 268 1 2 70 71 72 73 74 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM