Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #75617 05/07/10 06:51 AM
    A
    Artana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Hello all,
    As I have said many times, my DS8 has AS. He has been doing really well this year, but in the past couple of months his behavior has become an issue at times. For example, his Gifted teacher wanted to do some unstructured work and he was very adamant about not doing it, to the point of kicking a chair.
    The school wants to implement a behavior system called 1-2-3 Magic. I have never heard of it, though I Googled it, and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with it and what they think of it. I am supposed to go to the meeting on Monday and I want to go armed with information. It seemed very cold to me. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Last edited by Artana; 05/07/10 07:18 AM.
    D
    D
    My kid HATED 1-2-3 Magic, and it escalated his anxiety tremendously, creating new problems instead of solving them. I would be wary of using it with an AS kid.

If they are having behavior problems, I would insist on their doing a functional behavior analysis (you should probably request it in writing). This involves their taking data on each behavior incident: what was going on when it happened, what the child did, and what the consequences were. Having each event documented allows you to see patterns: does it only happen during math? Does the child use behavior to escape a boring classroom? Once you pinpoint how the child is using the behavior, you can design a solution with the team.

Best,
    DeeDee

Artana, I was given the book 1,2,3 Magic and it does appear cold. I don't think it is a bad thing, it is more of trying to teach the parent to remain unemotional and calm to prevent escalation. My DS (ASD also) and I did use it, but he figured out he had 3 chances before consequences, which is way too many chances for him!!! We stick with what we learned in ABA that one warning is given stating what the consequences will be if the behavior is repeated and then absolutely always following through.

Again, agreeing with Dee, it sounds like you need to request an FBA at your IEP meeting. (btw, 1 chair kicking incident is nothing...we had a double desk flip) smile Nan

P
    P
    Agreeing strongly with DeeDee. I've read 123 Magic and the approach is exactly opposite of what many kids need.

http://www.amazon.com/Asperger-Syndrome-Difficult-Moments-Practical/dp/1931282706 This is a good book and may provide some appropriate alternatives.

A
    Artana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you for the comments and information. I am going to steer this conversation to "Is my child defiant, or does he have Aspegers?" All the people in the IEP meeting should know the answer to that. I think then we can work on, "Should he be treated as a defiant child?"

Originally Posted by Artana
    Thank you for the comments and information. I am going to steer this conversation to "Is my child defiant, or does he have Aspegers?" All the people in the IEP meeting should know the answer to that. I think then we can work on, "Should he be treated as a defiant child?"

Just fyi, my son has an autism diagnosis and the IEP team says it does not matter in regards to his behavior. According to them, if DS is to stay in a mainstream class, his behavior has to be like the mainstream kids. I don't know if you will get that attitude or not (I hope not) but I was surprised and shocked. Nan

D
    D
    In my (limited) experience, anxiety caused by AS can look exactly like defiance. Presented with a task he thinks he cannot possibly do, and unsure of what the consequences will be if he can't finish it, the child bursts into tears, rips up the assignment, checks out, whatever.

Looks like defiance to them; but if they can break the assignment down into meaningful small steps with positive reinforcement at each step, that behavior may disappear completely. The IEP can specify strategies of this kind.

It can also help if you treat the anxiety with meds or therapy or both.

DeeDee

A
    Artana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I spent the beginning of the IEP reminding them that DS's behavior was a symptom of his Aspeger's, not defiance. I told them I am not against a discipline plan for him whatsoever, but that I wanted to make sure we were all approaching the problem from the same headspace.

After a bit of defensiveness, the meeting went really well. Some of the resource teachers that work with my son made comments about parts of the behavior plan increasing his anxiety levels, which made my day. I think it was overall a very positive meeting. We'll see about the implementation of everything.:)

Hooray!! Glad to hear it went well over all. I know all about the defensiveness and them sitting there with their arms crossed LOL. Great job, grats to you! Nan

D
    D
    Congrats to you. Keep educating them, you'll get somewhere.

DeeDee

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM