Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #7564 01/19/08 07:05 PM
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My DS's K teacher told me yesterday that she had tested him using the first grade San Diego Quick and that he scored at a second grade level in reading and is the highest reader in the class.

Does anyone know anything about this test? I am wondering about ceilings since I am pretty sure he reads at a higher level than that--roughly third grade is my estimate.

Cathy

acs Offline

I found the same link as acs and also this that I think explains the findings a bit better:

The San Diego Quick Assessment
    The list in which a student misses no more than one of the ten words is the level at which he/she can read independently.

Two errors indicate his/her instructional level.

Three or more errors identify the level at which reading material will be too difficult for him/her.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks! I just tried them on DS. He read all of the second grade list without hesitation. He missed 3 on the third grade list. So does that mean his instructional reading level is 2nd or 3rd? I guess he's somewhere in between. I'm a bit confused by the scoring!

K
    K
    Cathy - just out of curiosity, does your DS read chapter books and have you looked up the lexile counts or levels on any of those books? I just wonder really how accurate that method of leveling is. The word lists seem kind of arbitrary and GT kids do tend to be very good at deriving meaning from surrounding text.

DS was most recently assessed at 6th grade reading level in 1st grade. But I know he regularly picks up stuff beyond that level and seems to get good comprehension. I also kind of wonder if the teacher in our case is motivated to "fully" assess him. DS said he gets a couple paragraphs to read aloud and then declares him reading at that level without attempting to get to something he can't get through as comfortably. I think she just lets him climb a grade level every time she assess him. My DS is also the highest reader in his class.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, he reads simple chapter books like Secrets of Droon and Magic Treehouse. These are 2nd or 3rd grade level. He also reads Berenstain Bears first time books which are mid 3rd grade.

Cathy

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS is just starting to read for pleasure. It's like he wasn't interested until he got to a level where he could read books that he likes. He spent his Christmas money on a novelization of the first three Star Wars episodes. Probably not a common choice among Kindergarteners smile

I am trying to tread carefully with the school, letting them "discover" his abilities. It seems to work better than me going in there and saying, DS can do x and y. They don't really believe me. I have been careful not to mention that he started reading when he was 2 1/2--I don't think that would go over well, either.

acs Offline
    I just flashed back to DS walking into pre-school at about 3 or 4. There was a note up for parents, "Shhh, don't tell the kids. Santa will be here on Friday. It's a surprise!" and DS saying to the teachers, "If it's a surprise, why did you write it up on the board where we can see it?"

K
    K
    acs - that is such a cute story! Hope you got it in his baby book.

Dottie - that is our experience too - anyone above grade level is grouped together. Which in our case is 5 kids reading 2nd grade level and above. But in our case, the only reason I know my DS is the top reader is from volunteering during reading time and being nosy, not from the teacher.

So Cathy - if your teacher told you DS is the best reader in the class, that's something anyway! Your son sounds like he's doing great! I always feel like they don't want to tell you that your kid's ahead of curve at our school. We get these worthless report cards that lists every skill for DS as "As Expected".

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, I suppose it's not really all that important. It's just that they've been promising levelled reading groups since the beginning of the school year. They only just got around to testing... It would be nice if he was actually given appropriate material smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM