Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 300 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #7514 01/18/08 01:39 PM
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    We discussed assigning new forum topics, like "Parenting", but I guess that's not happening.

My DS13 can be wonderful and can be difficult/unreachable, back and forth. Such a roller coaster! Just venting.

Lots of eyeball rolling and huffing, he thinks he's smarter than I am (he probably is, but I don't care!).

cym #7519 01/18/08 03:28 PM
    acs Offline
    DS is 12 and we are starting to get some of that. We read a book a year ago in which the mom had second name "Phil" that she used to describe the surly/huffy/unreachable version of her DS. My DS thought that was funny and has given himself an alter-ego- "Tom." When DS is "Tom" he is still unreachable, but once he feels more like himself again, we can discuss our visit from "Tom." And we both have a chuckle.

acs #7521 01/18/08 06:27 PM
    Could this surly/moody adolescent stuff start by 8, or is it going to get worse?!?!?!?!?

I usually try to bring it to her attention by saying something like, "Anything else your Royal Heiness?", which used to make her laugh but now she just smirks at me. smile

I

I can beat that! I've got a 6yo who started at 5 with the eye rolls and mouthiness.

Is this your basic GT precociousness, or are we just raising obnoxious kids?

(Mostly kidding, but not as much as I wish I were!)

I can't believe it's going to get worse as he gets older! Woe is us!

Kriston
    Kriston #7530 01/18/08 08:14 PM
    Be afraid...............be VERY afraid......!!!!!!!!!!

LOL! laugh

Kriston
    Kriston #7543 01/19/08 06:54 AM
    Cym-

I can relate. My oldest went through a phase when he was 15- I was ready to throw him out of the house! He was just so disrespectful and lazy. We got into a "discussion" every time I asked him to do anything.

Adolescence is tough- and I think it has only gotten harder in the last generation. There are so many conflicting messages sent by society and the media. I don't think we should ever put up with rudeness and disrespect, but it can be difficult for them to separate from parents without a few tears being shed on each side. Just keep insisting on common courtesy.

Keep in mind that this is a phase, and you will see that sweet and loving young son again someday.

hugs-

Lorel #7555 01/19/08 09:46 AM
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    Cym-

I can relate. My oldest went through a phase when he was 15- I was ready to throw him out of the house! He was just so disrespectful and lazy. We got into a "discussion" every time I asked him to do anything.

Adolescence is tough- and I think it has only gotten harder in the last generation. There are so many conflicting messages sent by society and the media. I don't think we should ever put up with rudeness and disrespect, but it can be difficult for them to separate from parents without a few tears being shed on each side. Just keep insisting on common courtesy.

Keep in mind that this is a phase, and you will see that sweet and loving young son again someday.

hugs-

Ditto on what Lorel said. As for the 5 year old girl with an attitude? I wouldn't blame hormones for that, it's more of a learned behavior at that age. As Lorel said, keep insisting on common courtesy.

Consistency, definately, keep insisting on courtesy. The thing is some of these things definately come out of left field. DD7 used to growl like an animal when she was little to express her displeasure. I can tell you for sure she didn't learn this from us!!!!
    She also used to tell me at 2 I was breaking her heart whenever I told her no, except it came out like...you bweaking my hea(r)t!
    She came up with that on her own, however, she did quickly learn it reduced me to a puddle of mush and she pretty much got her way!

I

Last edited by incogneato; 01/19/08 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling and add the little funny guy that is laughing so hard he is crying
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I spent yesterday with DS (a long day--5 am to 9 pm) for regional science olympiad competition. As a 9th grader you can participate with your old middle school. DS was so mature, pleasant, and helpful. I loved it. I think removing him from his high school friends makes him a nicer person--I've actually suggested homeschooling, but he declined.

Yes, we'll get through this time (I keep telling poor DS11--"You better not act like this when you're older!")

Thanks all!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM