Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #7475 01/18/08 08:13 AM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Yesterday, DD9's teacher accused her of working too fast. This really upset DD, who told me that she's not trying to work fast at all. She just knows it already and finishes early. DD also told me that her teacher has repeatedly lectured the class on slowing down and not trying to be first, and DD always feels like it's directed at her. DD says she's tried to slow down, but she's still the first one done. She's not making mistakes or rushing, so I don't understand the problem, and I told DD not to change a thing. She's also a very well-behaved kid, so I'm sure her finishing early is not causing a problem in that way.

I think we're going to have to say something to the teacher. I hate to do this because I feel like I've been bugging her so much lately. Just yesterday I asked why they stopped ability grouping for reading (this really benefitted DD). We're also having issues with AR because DD is required to read 8-10 books this 9 weeks, but it takes her longer than a week to read a book on her level. Therefore, she's taking the easy route and reading 3rd grade level books in order to catch up. I'd rather her read half as many books as everyone else, as long as they were on her level (6.4).

I know I'm rambling here, but I just had to vent!

Sounds frustrating. Good luck with the 'chat.' Courage my friend!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    That's weird. I think I'd ask why it's a problem for this teacher that DD works fast. I can't imagine a valid reason, since DD is not a troublemaker in class, but maybe she has one we're not thinking of? At any rate, that's where I'd start.

I wish I could borrow some of that speed! DS6 is slower than molasses in a January blizzard! If the work is too easy or too hard, he moves even slower. Ugh. A little speed would be welcome!

Hang in there!

Kriston
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks, Dottie. I don't know if they will bend on the reading thing, since it's the same standard across the grade level. It's worth a shot, though. She just doesn't need to be reading Judy Moody anymore, nor does she really want to.

You're right that some kids do work too fast and make mistakes. My DD6 is in that category. She's very careless. Yes, maybe I can convince the teacher to talk to DD. DD is very sensitive and probably thinks it's directed at her, but it may not be.

Originally Posted by pinkpanther
    Yes, maybe I can convince the teacher to talk to DD. DD is very sensitive and probably thinks it's directed at her, but it may not be.

You may have hit the nail on the head right here!
    Good Luck,
    Grin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    D
    My son has/had the opposite tendency and often works too slowly for his teachers either out of boredom and daydreaming or putting too much thought into simplistic requirements (of the lower grades). He apparently works more efficiently at home because his work got done, so I understand your questioning the teacher�s opinion that this is even a problem.

Recently, DS has reported that his teacher has been making a point to mention that he has known many �gifted� people who turn out to be total losers as adults. DS also believes that these comments are directed towards him.

Hmm, is it possible that it�s not?

Hmm. Still pretty insensitive, regardless.

The rebel in me wants to reply "There are many elementary school teachers who are total losers, too." But I wouldn't do that, of course!

wink

Kriston
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    What an awful thing to say, even if it isn't directed at him! That would make me so mad.

D
    D
    Our daughter has had such a completely different experience at this same school with the same teachers. -Incidentally, I can imagine the administration turning this comment around to imply some �personality defect� in DS. I am more inclined to attribute it to a deficit of professional affect amongst (some) of the staff.
    We are strongly considering a prep school beginning next year. We do need finacial aid for the tuition, but so far, they seem quite interested in DS.
    Will the grass really be greener with a 32 mile drive to and from school?

P
    OP Offline
    P
    I hope so, for your sake. Our girls were in private school for 4K, 5K, and our oldest also for 1st grade. We never had problems there, and I wish we could have stayed. The only reason we left was because of the financial strain it was putting on our family, even with financial aid. Now I wish we could afford to go back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM