Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #74596 04/22/10 10:00 AM
    G
    GeniusZooKeeper
    Unregistered
    GeniusZooKeeper
    Unregistered
    G
    I just heard from the school. I don't remember the scores but they will be following up with paperwork so so I'll come back to share then. Damian tested from what I understand. HUGE variation in his scores last time and his scores this time. I THINK they said he scored 87 in his quantitative(?), 83 in his non-verbal, and possibly 67 in his verbal. His verbal I know is down from 80 on the first test. I don't know what a variation like that means but it has been over a year since he was last tested since I know some will want to know the span between tests.

She says he tested but still has to be moved in by an approving portfolio because his scores were high enough to indicate a need but too low to be placed in solely based on scores. I really don't have a lot of faith in COGAT. I don't know a whole lot about the test but I know enough about Damian to say that I don't find the test to be an accurate way to see the gifted in him. At any rate, he scored high enough, and with the recommendations of most of his teachers and the gifted teacher pushing to get him in, things are looking up.

I guess I just wanted to tell everyone. The scores I wrote above are what I THINK she said, but I am not positive. Any thoughts?

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    The CogAT does not work for gifted kids with any sort of issues that might affect speed. Any school system that uses it as the sole test for determining eligibility for gifted services is discriminating against essentially all twice exceptional children. Our district is one of these. Apparently they will allow a child to take the CogAT untimed if he has a 504 or IEP in place that specifies the accommodation of extended time on tests. Unfortunately, in order to have a 504/IEP the kid has to have already had the second exceptionality identified. Lots of gifted kids are able to compensate away their disabilities, so they don't have a 504/IEP in place and they don't get the accommodations they need to demonstrate their cognitive ability on a highly speeded test like the CogAT.

Do you have real IQ scores for your child? I apologize if this has already been discussed elsewhere.

G
    GeniusZooKeeper
    Unregistered
    GeniusZooKeeper
    Unregistered
    G
    No IQ scores. I have fought long and hard for this though. I personally don't like the COGAT and I do believe they are being a bit difficult seeing as the recommendation for gifted for Damian has been put in by several teachers but the district refuses to do it without him testing. Well, he tested. Thank goodness. My 2� year old is developmentally 52 months old so I guess I am going to have my hands full.

K
    K
    CoGAT doesn't catch everyone -- especially kids who don't test well in a group setting. Do they have the ability to administer Naglieri or Ravens? Many districts have these as short, alternative tools for kids who don't score as well on the CoGAT. It seems odd that the district is resistive when he has several teacher recommendations.

I'm glad to hear that the scores were high enough that he will be able to get into the offered programing with teacher recomendations. I'm also glad for him that he is able to show his giftedness in the classroom, that is a wonderful thing.
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM