Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 66 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    JulissaWare, endcityradical, pensionlutz, logo digitizing, Kevin J Dalton
    11234 Registered Users
    November
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    13 14 15 16 17 18 19
    20 21 22 23 24 25 26
    27 28 29 30
    Topic Options
    #74604 - 04/22/10 11:18 AM How do you find the Explore test?
    Learningmom Offline

Loc: WA
    I hope I'm not being dense but I can't find where the Explore test is done in our area. I checked the ACT site and googled locally but I'm still coming up empty. Thanks!

#74609 - 04/22/10 01:30 PM Re: How do you find the Explore test? [Re: Learningmom]
    Dazed&Confuzed Offline

It might not be in your area. We had to drive 1.5hrs to take the Explore test. There are 4-5 different talent searches around the country. ONe is out of PA which is C-Mites. Then there is one in the Northwest, NUMATS. I believe Dottie had a nice PDF of all the talent searches. There is also DUKE Tip talent search. perhaps others can chime in on the rest. You can start there by googling those names and see if they service your area.

Edited by Dazed&Confuzed (04/22/10 01:32 PM)

#74615 - 04/22/10 02:17 PM Re: How do you find the Explore test? [Re: Learningmom]
    twomoose Offline

I'll take a stab, but please (anybody or everybody) correct me if I'm wrong.

As Dazey said, there are several talent searches in the US that are divided up (approximately) regionally. The Northeast has Johns Hopkins/CTY, and C-MITES (in Pennsylvania), the Southeast has DukeTIP, the midwest has Northwestern's program NUMATS, etc. You're in Washington, right? From what I can tell, your talent search may be Johns Hopkins - that's where I may be wrong. I used to have access to a map that showed the areas, but I can't find it right at the moment.

Your talent search may administer Explore, but some talent searches don't offer it. I believe JHU/CTY does not, but NUMATS and DukeTIP do. So, I guess the question is, if you really wanted to, could you register with NUMATS and have your child take Explore even if you lived in Washington? I guess you could ask NUMATS or the Rocky Mountain area talent search - I think its called Center for Bright Kids/WATS. I don't think DukeTip allows anyone outside the 16-state region to register for talent search tests, but maybe other talent searches do.

Anybody else want to bail me out? blush

#74618 - 04/22/10 03:59 PM Re: How do you find the Explore test? [Re: Learningmom]
    ncal Offline

We live in CA, and did EXPLORE with WATS this year. People at WATS didn't mind at all that we are outside their territory. The closest test center to us is in RENO which usually is 3.5 - 4 hour drive. However, it turned out to be a 10-hour drive in Jan due to a storm. DS had 4 hours of sleep before the test, but he did okay.

#74619 - 04/22/10 04:18 PM Re: How do you find the Explore test? [Re: ncal]
    onthegomom Offline

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10260.aspx

Here's the link to Talent searches for EXPLORE. Hope you find something near by to go to.

If you don't find a place to test, contact NUMATs thru Northwestern Univ. Someone here told me they became a test center with a few students in their area. I don't think it was a simple process.

#74620 - 04/22/10 04:19 PM Re: How do you find the Explore test? [Re: ncal]
    Learningmom Offline

Loc: WA
    Yikes! We can do SCAT locally for JHU/CTY but it looks like we would REALLY have to travel to do the EXPLORE. I don't get the impression the SCAT gives as much information as the EXPLORE. Correct?

#74622 - 04/22/10 04:39 PM Re: How do you find the Explore test? [Re: Learningmom]
    Mam Offline

I am in the same boat as you are.. I was disappointed when I discovered we won't have access to Explore. Oh, well. It was still a couple of years off for us...

#74634 - 04/22/10 08:48 PM Re: How do you find the Explore test? [Re: Mam]
    Dandy Offline

We're located in Northern CA and after contacting EVERY talent search listed at Davidson, we found our solution through the Belin-Blank Center's talent search:
    http://www.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/TalentSearch/Default.aspx

They will allow you to do the test at your school, provided you can get a teacher, principal, etc., to serve as proctor. This way you avoid the long travel & related costs.

Our son will be doing it next month in a familiar environment, with his principal graciously agreeing to give the test during the school day. Total cost is $75 or so.

Win-win-win.

So get in touch with them -- I'm sure they can help you as well.

Ta-da!

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    The ultimate brag thread
    by Eagle Mum
    11/22/22 02:19 AM
    Gifted Adults: Living with Emotional Intensity
    by indigo
    11/19/22 12:23 PM
    Understanding testing!
    by Klangedin
    11/13/22 06:35 AM