Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    Artana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Hello all,
    After a horrible last year, this year the children have been much better behaved. I can't say that the school is meeting all their needs academically, but the children are doing ok and they are functioning ok.
    The problem is that I know they still need more and I can't get up the motivation to push right now. As I said, last year was so hard that I was a nervous wreck for most of it, pushing and arguing all the time at the school, and working. I am so relieved not to have to have so much emotional turmoil that I've been lax.
    I feel like a horrible gifted parent. I should be in there pushing for more in-depth and interesting work for my kids. Does anyone else get like this?

ME ME ME!!! (Hands waving wildly in the air)

The reason I post infrequently and try to keep a low profile is because, after all the advocating we did (to no avail, I would add) I am frustrated and a little bitter. It's not that I lack motivation - I feel that there has been a backlash against my DC from the pushing we did. So, I've given up as far as school advocacy. I'm hoping that the summer talent search programs will fill the void.

I hope that's not too much of a downer, but after everything I've done, I can't do more. So, I'm right there with you.

Yes, me too, although I didn't push in schools it was fear of always having to push that was a big factor in my decision to home educate. It must be so hard to keep going like that, and wondering if it is worth it.

I think we need to remember to cut ourselves some slack every now and again. I mean, for most of us, we are trying to give something we never had iykwim.

A
    Artana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you two. It really helps to know that I'm not alone. I work, my husband works, and there is no way for me to homeschool. So, I chose the best school I could, which tries to work with me. I think I did most of what I'm supposed to do.

twomoose I totally understand. I was always scared that advocating would mean a backlash on my kids. I think in their first school it did cause some problems. In this one, it's been a lot better, but the concern is always there.

GeoMamma You are right that we are working in uncharted territory. We are advocating with a lot more knowledge of what could be. Maybe that's what leads to so much disappointment. My mother, when she did it with me, had no idea of what could be accomplished, so every little bit she got from the school was a win.

O
    O
    Sometimes having an enriching outside of school life can help balance their needs. Each child is an indivual and not every child gets to be challenged to their max. potential and can still live a happy productive life. We do the best we can and give them lots of love.

K
    K
    As you said, the kids are better behaved and functioning ok. Give yourself a break. You will have more energy if/when it becomes important for you to advocate again. All of us recovering perfectionists need to remember that less than perfect is ok sometimes.

Yes, what knute974 said.

My motto is 'Do what you can, when you can, and don't feel guilty about the rest'.

Sometimes I even manage to do that wink

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM