Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #74460 04/20/10 10:08 AM
    N
    nemo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    I've been lurking around for a while and finally decided to post.
    I am looking for some feedback on my sons test scores.
    I had my son tested at 4.0 years old for various reasons. He has shown all the typical gifted behaviors since infancy. He began reading at 3 before he entered preschool. We were looking at a gifted preschool for him but decided to go with a montessori.
    We were told at the time he was tested he may need to be retested due to hitting some ceilings. I didn't really see the point in that at the time. I mean we already know he's gifted. smile
    Fast forward a few months, He is now reading easily on a second grade level does a lot of math in his head including some multiplication and division.
    My biggest concern is his oversensitivity to absolutely everything!
    He is frustrated very easily, has several meltdowns a day and serious difficulty getting himself to sleep at night.
    I have gotten in touch with a counselor to help me in dealing with him and it was suggested these behaviors could be stemming from his high intelligence.
    So I get in touch with someone who works specifically with gifted children and after looking at his assessment, it is again suggested he be tested on another scale. Specifically the Standford-Binet LM?
    My question to all of you is, How important is it really to narrow down exactly where your child falls on the gifted scale? Has anyone done this and found a big discrepancy ? And do these scores seem to be consistent with some of the behaviors I've described?
    I would really appreciate any input I can get.
    Thanks.

Scores WPPSI-3 at 4.0

summary verbal-143
    summary performance-140
    summary processing speed-119
    prorated full scale-146 (minus processing)

Verbal

Info-16
    vocab-19
    word reasoning-16
    comprehension-17

Performance

Block design-15
    Matrix-17
    picture concepts-17

processing

Symbol search-15
    coding-12

Hi Nemo - welcome! I'm afraid I don't really know much about the scores, but I can comment on a couple of your concerns. Over-excitabilities (OE's)and sensitivities are common in gifted kids. My DS6 still has clothing issues, but they've gotten better with time. He is also very headstrong and still has the occasional meltdown if he doesn't get his way or if he is disappointed about something. Did the counselors you spoke with suggest anything to deal with the tantrums and sleeping difficulties? Even if the issues do stem from giftedness, I would hope that they'd have some advice for dealing with the concerns you have.

My thought about testing is that you already have scores showing he is gifted. What would a different score telling you the level of giftedness show you at this point? If you need different scores for some sort of school programs, that would be something else.

I'm no testing expert, but I believe the Stanford Binet LM is not particularly useful these days. It is an old test. The SB-5 is the current SB test.

How does your son like school? Are the behaviors you are seeing occurring both at school and at home? Does he display the frustrations and meltdowns when he's being challenged with an activity he likes?

Sorry - I'm just getting more random as it gets past my bedtime. Just wanted to say welcome.

N
    nemo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Thank you so much for your welcoming responses st paul girl and Dottie!
    st paul girl,
    My son likes school, most of the behaviors are occurring at home.
    I did meet with a psychologist this week that had some great advice and I will put it to use immediately (:
    Dottie I really appreciate the advice on the LM, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM