Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 69 of 268 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 267 268
    W
    W
    Wolf had to answer what his favorite part of school was today. His answer? Learning! laugh

D
    D
    This may seem weak to you all but this is new to me and I don't really have anyone to brag to IRL....without getting a *look*.

My 7 yr old just went thru intelligence testing and score at the 99.9 percentile. Her official classification is Highly Gifted :-)

She just seems like a normal, but bright, kiddo to me!

I am very hopeful for her future and am already working on upping her exposure to more educational things. Yesterday (on her own) she spent a couple hours happily playing math games online...working on multiplication and fractions. I had to make her shut it down.

I am so proud of her!

M
    M
    DS9 usually dreads the school day and comes home saying it was BORING and uninteresting. Yesterday was a bit different though...he said "Well, I learned something today. They're finally making a step in the right direction with me. I actually learned something about long division I didn't know before." He cracks me up!

L
    L
    My 11 year old son finished the last of three musical theater performances last night. My son played the Hercules part in "Zero to Hero and he sang "Go the Distance." He also played Baloo singing "Bare Necessities" in the musical theater group's Disney animated musical revue. He had about a week to learn the Baloo part when one of the actors couldn't do it. It was challenging because he had to learn the lyrics, the choreography, and the dialogue quickly and with motor dyspraxia the choreography is harder for him to learn, especially when he has to sing and dance at the same time--but he did it and he did it well in his solos and in all of the 17 other songs he had parts in. He was able to do it even though he had to wear the brace during all rehearsals. I don't think anyone watching the show would describe him as uncoordinated. He is not the best dancer, but he did it well enough. His timing on Bare Necessities was really good and he was able to time the acting and dialogue and the singing to fit the music. His "parents" came in late for their part when he sang "Go the Distance" and he handled that well also, cutting short his dialogue and making it fit the amount of time he had before he had to start singing again. He also handled his shoe coming off during a dress rehearsal by quickly kicking it behind a group of kids in the scene and shoving his foot back in the shoe before anyone else noticed. He did not break character or seem anxious about it at all. I can't believe how much his confidence has grown the last few months. There are five girls who are close to his age in the group and they seem to like him. One of the girls used the word "cute" to describe him. He always hated it when I used that word to describe him. He seemed a little embarrassed when two of them hugged him after the show, but I also noticed that he doesn't want me to hang around as much any more.

He said the girls were surprised to find out that he is several months younger than two of them. They all thought he was older.

He had more trouble than usual falling asleep last night because of all the excitement, so he spent half the night reading history.

Wow Lori, what a great story!! Sounds like he is having a ton of fun and stretching himself into new territory! Awesome. smile

O
    O
    Congrats! Lori. That a lot to be proud about.

I remember my daughter and I reading the book "Scranimals", with poems in it. It's poems of fictional animals mixed with vegetable, very cute, very clever. She was about three years old. A couple days later she came out and said, "It's interesting that he chose a dodo as the animal on the last page of the book, after all, they are extinct, aren't they?"

That was one clue in many as to what I was dealing with.

When she was two, she announced with absolute clarity, that she found her room, "completely disasterous!"

When she was four, she found me out in the garden and told me "she'd just been reading about plate techtonics and found it fascinating."

What a character!!! She's a wild and exciting ride, this one!

Last edited by crazydaisy; 04/19/10 07:19 PM.
    DS drew a happy face.

I'm not actually sure he INTENDED to draw a happy face, but at 367 days old, getting a circle that was both round and closed is kinda... well... cool. Getting two dots and a curve inside and in the shape of a happy face was beyond cool, intentional or otherwise. His computer-illustrator-mom-who-can't-draw-on-paper-to-save-her-life was amused smile

Otherwise he's just been scribbling like a normal 1 yr old, so this is probably another one of his reading-ahead moments and it'll be a year before he does anything else recognisable smile

He then refused to even stand still without hanging on to something until his nap. (He walks all day when he wants to). The little nutcase.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    I
    I
    D14 just e-mailed, she won a trophy from last weekend's Quiz Bowl tournament for getting the most questions right of all the freshman in the tournament. Funny, since in the car on the way home she claimed she hadn't known the answers to a lot of questions.

S
    S
    One of my first graders is doing long division. He just loves math - his whole face lights up smile

(I confess I bragged at a cocktail party, as part of a conversation about schools, and I've felt guilty ever since. To a teacher no less. I should have come here first!!!!!)

Page 69 of 268 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM