Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    blob #73140 04/03/10 04:44 PM
    OP Offline
    I did finally get a one sentence response yesterday from the Principal which basically said "waiting on higher level admins, will let you know what I hear."

I guess it isn't so bad, as the pullout group is apparently continuing - but I do view the beginning of the next academic year as the drop dead date, since I don't think the group will continue. I guess what is disappointing is that based on that response, I see very little willingness to engage in discussion - I am trying to think positively, but it really isn't very encouraging. It didn't respond to several different points DH and I made that were broader re: curriculum and teaching.

On a more positive note, DS and I have been briefly (like for 8 minutes)going over how to do long division, and it has been the first time ever that I have seen him struggle a bit with a math concept. Actually, not sure it is the concept as much as the fact he doesn't know his multiplication facts super well, so he finds it hard to divide into - anyway, what was neat was that he was engaged and challenged! Something we really don't ever see. I think he liked it - although he was kind of frustrated too - it was hard to read because there was some new stuff going on.

thanks to all of you for your support - sometimes I feel like I am just a freaky mom, as I said, I can't imagine how those of you with a PG handle all of this, as I am finding it super hard (maybe my own obsessive personality traits wink ).

Cat

Catalana #73877 04/13/10 10:01 AM
    Originally Posted by Catalana
    On a more positive note, DS and I have been briefly (like for 8 minutes)going over how to do long division, and it has been the first time ever that I have seen him struggle a bit with a math concept. Actually, not sure it is the concept as much as the fact he doesn't know his multiplication facts super well, so he finds it hard to divide into - anyway, what was neat was that he was engaged and challenged! Something we really don't ever see.

Cat

This is lovely! Division is a great way to teach those pesky math facts!

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #73905 04/13/10 01:21 PM
    OP Offline
    He kept trying to escape to geometry and other areas on his Aleks "pie" but eventually he ran out of other stuff and was forced to learn it (I told him I wouldn't move him up a level until the pie was all filled in - which he actually accepted pretty readily).

Pesky math facts indeed - I confess to still getting my 7 x 8 and 6 x 8 mixed up - yikes!

Catalana #73908 04/13/10 01:34 PM
    I was just tis morning (after I got congradulated on my math skill on the other thread) thinking about what a shame it is that I keep having to learn and relearn 7 X 8, when 56 is such a pretty number. And I love how they line up in

56 = 7x8

so chronological!

I don't mind 6 x 8 so much because it boils down to 8x5 (40) plus 8 x1.

Basically I have no automatic recall of Math facts higher than 5 inspite of having memorized them twice - once for myself and again to help my son. Wonder if it's related to my spelling?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students