Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    M
    M
    This is a good thread. This is where I got the Percy Jackson tip.

JaneSmith, I agree about the series thing. We go through books like water. Love the used bookstore!

I haven't heard about the Tom Swift series, but will check it out. DS9 read Ender's Game over the summer and enjoyed it enough. We've also done the Angie Sage series Physik, Magyk, and Flyte as well as Harry Potter, both big hits with DS.

We are trying to get into some of the older classics as well...he read Tom Sawyer and thought it was okay. Maybe Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea...it's hard to find stand alone books!

N
    N
    Well, we're on the second Mysterious Benedict Society book now, and DS7 enjoys them.

Some of the older classics that haven't been mentioned here (I think) are the Madeleine L'Engle books (Ring of Endless Light, etc.), the Black Stallion books, and Scott O'Dell (Island of the Blue Dolphins, etc.).

Some nonfiction books that he loves to death are "Why Pi", "Go Figure!", and the "M&M's Book of the Millenium". We check them out at the library, renew them, renew them again, return them, and then next trip check them out again and start over. We have these books for 9 out of every 12 weeks now! I was going to get them for him for Christmas, but I got the Mysterious Benedict Society and a Calvin and Hobbes instead. smile

J
    J
    I was at the library today getting two of the books recommended in this thread (Other Side of the Mountain and Julie of the Wolves) and I saw the Black Stallion books. I used to LOVE those, but I passed on them today because I thought maybe they were "girl" books? Not that I care, but I want to pick stuff my kids will read. Do boys typically enjoy the Black Stallion books?

BTW- there was only one book on Greek mythology in the library. I think the popularity of Percy Jackson has created a run.

My younger son also loves the Wimpy Kid books. It bugs me a little - but they are FUNNY!

C
    C
    If you like A Wrinkle in Time, I recommend When You Reach Me, because it refers to AWIT and Newberry this year.

Also Lowery's The Giver is amazing - maybe not for a sensitive 7 yo, but I read it last year and still think about it.

chrys

Warning: sleep deprived
    I
    I
    My kids liked the Lloyd Alexander "The Chronicles of Prydain" series. They also loved the Stravaganza series by Mary Hoffman.

I think it is funny to see the multiple mentions of Calvin & Hobbes, and also someone brought up Foxtrot. Until now I couldn't put a finger on why I would consider most "cartoon" books a waste of time and money, but have put those in a different category. I have even given them as gifts to my kids. I just never thought about the reason why I approve of them - - it is because Calvin & Jason are obviously gifted! Just hope my D doesn't use her "gifts" in the same way Calvin does, though smile

Last edited by intparent; 02/24/10 03:44 PM.
    M
    M
    I want to second the Warriors series. It's about the ins and outs of four feral cat colonies. DS5, who loves cats, doesn't have the tracking stamina to read these on his own, but he's eating them up as bedtime material read aloud, and I'll admit even I'm getting sucked into some of the plots.

N
    N
    I'm not sure if the Black Stallion books are "girl" books or not--I'm a girl, but I was a tomboy all the way and I loved them. And they ARE about a boy, after all, so I should think they'd be ok to boys. I think all the other horse books were girly, like National Velvet and Misty of Chincoteague and My Friend Flicka and all of those, which might be why I didn't like them as well! smile

O
    OP Offline
    O
    DS9 seems to be over his slump with reading!!! thanks to Vicam! AND Guardians of Ga Hoolie series. He has just finished all 15 books.

I am speculating during his slump was he was studying humor in his easier level books like Ms. Krup cracks me up! by Dan Gutman.
    He seems to be acting like a cartoon frequently. Any body have experience like this? It's goofy.

V
    V
    Good news there is a new series by the same ga'hoolie author that is about Wolves, My DS 8 is aggravated that only one is out so far. He loved it

F
    F
    AHH There are so many sugetions here!

My DD7 has almost finished The Percy Jackson series. I am trying to figure out which series to move to next.
    Her favorite part about the "Lightning" books was being introduced to Mythology. She detoured from the series several times to study up on mythology. smile

NE one else know af a series which incorporates history or nonfiction into the story line?
    She also used to like the Magic Tree House series, but of course those are baby books now.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM