Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 83 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    TEACHERMOM3.14, Drusillain, chinnny, Fast Words, LC001
    11242 Registered Users
    December
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Page 7 of 22 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 22 >
    Topic Options
    #51913 - 08/04/09 03:53 PM Re: The Ultimate Book Thread? [Re: renie1]
    chris1234 Offline

Looks like if you go to 'email post' on the first post, you can send that one and all replies. Don't know if it will really work, but worth a look.

Edit - I tried it, and now see a radio button 'entire thread' at the bottom. Worked for me. Good idea, too!

-Chris

Edited by chris1234 (08/04/09 03:56 PM)

#51917 - 08/04/09 04:05 PM Re: The Ultimate Book Thread? [Re: minniemarx]
    chris1234 Offline

Originally Posted By: minniemarx

And the best for last, David Almond, "Skellig," (Hodder Children's Books, 1998, Delacorte 1999, 182 pp, jacket says ages 8-12). Michael moves into a new house, but his baby sister is very ill, his parents are upset, and he feels powerless to help. He finds someone living in their ramshackle garage; the only person in whom he can confide about the stranger is his neighbour Mina. I don't want to say too much about this one--it is magical, and you should discover it for yourself--but we found this book to be a treasure. Mina shares her love of William Blake with Michael, and the story reminds one of Blake, I must say, with its hovering air of the spiritual and the very great beauty present throughout. Special.

Sounds fantastic!!

I've recommended this one before, but must again, as it surely belongs in this thread - the illustrations are jaw dropping, imo.
    The Grey Lady and the Strawberry Snatcher.
    Here is my original post, which also includes several other no-words books that are truly gorgeous.
    Grey Lady thread

#51923 - 08/04/09 07:32 PM Re: The Ultimate Book Thread? [Re: chris1234]
    minniemarx Offline

Ooh, Pauli, I like the look of that Howard Pyle book! The lads do really like older books, I must say. We'll look that one out.

kcab, I'd seen Cressida Cowell recommended on Amanda Craig's blog (she reviews children's literature for British newspapers, as well as writing novels herself); it's good to have a recommendation from someone I "know", too! They sound like fun books! (You're back home again now? If so, I hope you're feeling settled back in!)

Irene, we went through a Graeme Base phase here, too--aren't the pictures great? Also, he is very nice about answering fan mail!

I missed the Grey Lady thread the first time, Chris--that sounds lovely! As do several others on that thread--and isn't David Wiesner fun?

peace
    minnie

#51988 - 08/05/09 07:20 PM Re: The Ultimate Book Thread? [Re: minniemarx]
    minniemarx Offline

Well, the lads and I had some beach time today, and it brought this one to mind: "Green Smoke," by Rosemary Manning (1957, repr. Jane Nissen 2008, ~150 pp), a perfect beach story! (Enjoy summer while you can...)

A little girl named Susan is on a beach holiday in Cornwall; in a secret cove, she discovers a lovely creature, R. Dragon by name, who is 1500 years old. (In fact, he lived for a time at the court of King Arthur, a fact which interests Susan very much.) R. Dragon was tamed by St Petroc; he has no teeth, and has very nice manners, so he is not in the least frightening. He is vain, though, and rather greedy (he's very fond of Susan's biscuits and almond buns), but mainly he is full of interesting stories. He also takes Susan on some very exciting adventures, including tea with a mermaid. There are charming drawings by Constance Marshall. It's a book full of jokes and fun--just right for summer!

peace
    minnie

#52020 - 08/06/09 07:39 AM Re: The Ultimate Book Thread? [Re: minniemarx]
    Raddy Offline

Loc: UK
    We have just started reading this un-put-downable book
    The weirdstone Og Bisinganmen by Alan garner
    http://www.amazon.com/Weirdstone-Brising...9348&sr=8-1

may be a little scary 'for the wee ones' - for them best stick to Enid Blyton's Faraway tree - magical
    http://www.amazon.com/Faraway-Tree-Stories-Three-Books/dp/1405201711/ref=pd_sim_b_4

Or if you just like looking at pictures
    Flotsam by david Weisner
    http://www.amazon.com/Flotsam-Caldecott-...9548&sr=1-1

#52025 - 08/06/09 08:21 AM Re: The Ultimate Book Thread? [Re: Raddy]
    Ellipses Offline

Loc: Colorado

Flotsam is fantastic. This arrived in the school library when my daughter was in fourth and we both went crazy about it and the possibilities. For a picture only book, this is very deep and mind expanding.

#52160 - 08/08/09 09:54 PM Re: The Ultimate Book Thread? [Re: Ellipses]
    Nan Offline

Ooh! A new book thread! We're always in desperate need of new suggestions, so I'll be following this with interest.

DS6 has just (today!) finished the HP series. I noticed that he slowed down a lot after book 3, and I think he dealt with some of the darker, scarier themes by reading more shallowly in the later books. He rereads a lot, so I'm sure he'll get new things from them in subsequent readings.

The Mad Scientists' Club series by Bertrand Brinley was a big hit with DS. Mad Scientists' Club books It features a group of boys who use science as they get in (and out of) mischief. My library doesn't carry them, but Amazon has them, and they've been worth every penny. DS has reread them several times.

The Alvin Fernald series by Clifford Hicks is another favorite here.
    Alvin's Secret Code and The Marvelous Inventions of Alvin Fernald are two of DS6's often-reread favorites in this series.

Dragon Rider and Igraine the Brave by Cornelia Funke are two others that DS has really loved. I think Dragon Rider is his all-time favorite book. Dragon Rider features a young boy going off with a dragon as it tries to find a safe place for dragons to live. Lots of magical creatures, very sweet story.

The Sisters Grimm - All of these books have been hits with DS.

The Thirteen Clocks by James Thurber was another recent favorite. It's on my shelf to read now that DS enjoyed it so much. I've heard many people say it's one of their all-time favorite children's books, so I think I'd better read it!

Simon Bloom, Gravity Keeper and its sequel by Michael Reisman - As I understand it, the book combines magic with science (especially the laws of physics). That's always a winning combination for DS.

I'd go into more detail, except I haven't read all of them yet. I've given up on previewing books as there's no way I can keep up and still have time to read any of my own books (or do much of anything else).

#52161 - 08/08/09 10:01 PM Re: The Ultimate Book Thread? [Re: Nan]
    minniemarx Offline

Hi, Nan! Welcome! Another book lover--hooray! This board has the most tremendous bunch of people--I'm sure you will like it here a lot (and hey, anybody who loves The Thirteen Clocks is clearly a person of discriminating taste!! Your son might enjoy Thurber's other children's books, too! Many Moons, The White Deer, The Wonderful O...)

The Mad Scientists' Club books are on my wishlist at Chapters--I'm glad to hear they were a hit with your son! I've never heard of the Alvin books, we'll have to check those out.

My oldest adored Dragon Rider, too!

Glad you're here!

peace
    minnie

#52636 - 08/15/09 09:13 AM Re: The Ultimate Book Thread? [Re: Nan]
    Raddy Offline

Loc: UK
    yay - Mad Scientists Club - laugh out loud funny and loved by all of us here (even if they don't publish them in the Uk and the shipping costs are OTT)

#52714 - 08/16/09 07:09 PM Re: The Ultimate Book Thread? [Re: Raddy]
    Austin Offline

Loc: North Texas
    The Mad Scientists Club is a hoot.

Page 7 of 22 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Out of level/early SAT
    by Vansh
    12/02/22 11:23 AM
    Aging
    by indigo