Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
    Mia Offline
    Good, then I can stop checking the mailbox this week ... I just want to know one way or the other!

Mia
    Z
    Z
    Check your mailboxes today!! Davidson just told me the letters were mailed on Friday.
    Good luck everyone.

I'm so excited for all of you who are waiting! Good luck!

Z
    Z
    I hope others got better news than us.
    We didn't receive much feedback other than the WPPSI score of 146 did not meet their criteria, (although they encouraged us to apply with that score initially). They told us we can reapply in 6 months, if we get another IQ test that meets their criteria.
    Curious to hear how it went for others.

Zia's mom,

I can relate; DD7 is on the cusp, I don't think her achievement scores are going to be what they need to, I'll get the hard copy of the report from the tester in a few days.
    It's hard because we can all use the resources and support. There are places to find the support for as a parent, online, like here. No matter what, I'm glad I've found this forum and I hope you are too.

I

Z
    Z
    Thanks,
    I am glad to have found the forum! I find the advocacy advice invaluable and the general knowledge and the ability to compare to other similar kids is so important. I am always telling my husband about something I read here.

And to Dottie's comment about "coming out", it is easy since I know my son is PG. He is a high 4, low 5 on Ruf's scale and having the right numbers on the test for Davidson doesn't change that.

I must admit though that it definitely smarts getting that rejection letter. It is human nature to wonder if we are imagining his extraordinary intelligence like we also thought he was the cutest baby in the world. Looking back on the pictures now, we know we were so biased!! He wasn't really that cute as a newborn.

So, I will take just a moment here to brag about my son, since this is the only place I can do this without fear of criticism. And like the Ben and Jerry's I am getting ready to eat, it will make me feel so much better. Even if nobody reads it.

Yesterday my adorable 5 year old played in a local chess tournament. He has been called a prodigy by most of the "experts" he encounters in chess, having played in tournaments since he was 4. He asked if for this particular tournament he could pick the division he would play in. He said he wanted really tough competition so he decided to play in the K-8 division, which would be made up of 6-8 graders. He is only Pre-K.
    He won all 5 of his games and took the 1st place trophy, much to the disappointment of his opponents who did not like losing to the 5 year old. He then came home and composed and sent a few emails, telling family of his accomplishments, and then finished the night off with a few more chapters of Tom Sawyer. Best of all though, he woke up this morning and cuddled in bed with me for thirty minutes. How great is it that he can have the mind of someone almost twice his age but emotionally he can still be my little baby.
    Okay, time to eat the ice cream out of the container.

Originally Posted by zia's mom
    I must admit though that it definitely smarts getting that rejection letter. It is human nature to wonder if we are imagining his extraordinary intelligence like we also thought he was the cutest baby in the world

I had the identical feeling when we got the letter from the YSP that said dd was not accepted (they have asked for achievement testing, which we don't have just yet). You are not alone!

In regards to your ds's chess win; thanks for sharing such an amazing accomplishment! You must be so proud!

I'm sorry his scores didn't make. He is a really smart kid and his chess achievements are amazing (I used to play competitive chess). May be WISC IV when he turns 6 will give him the scores he needs. 146 is so close.

I had to laugh when I read about the baby pictures. We were the same way.

LMom
    K
    K
    Zia - that is such a sweet story. DS7 is still a cuddler too, I absolutely dread the day he isn't. You must be so proud of him! He's obviously a very bright, amazing little guy. Enjoy that ice cream!

My DS would LOVE to find a chess club/group.

Hi,

Got my letter today. My dd is now a
    Davidson Young Scholar!!

Dottie, thank you so much for all your advice and encouragement.

Zia, I am sorry about your son, but he is very young and he seems brilliant. I would definitely re-apply when he is a bit older.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM