Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 67 of 268 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 267 268
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    LOL, that is hilarious! Sounds so much like my DS5, he always wants us to give him algebra problems while in the car. It does take a lot of thinking because if I give him an easy one he solves it in seconds and I have to think of another one (plus he tells me to give him a harder one) and if I give him a hard one I have to figure out the answer in my head first(while I am driving of course) and then try to remember it. Sometimes I get distracted and he tells me the answer and then I have to check and see if he was right. Makes car rides not so relaxing. Thankfully when I put classical music on that usually gets him singing and humming and slightly distracted. : ) On long trips we thankfully have a whole basket of mind puzzles and math stuff to keep his brain nourished.

For our car rides I am commissioned with handing out questions in all areas and you would think after 44 years and being an educator I could think of many questions...but I get brainlocked after a while...guess I should look at it as anti-alzheimer's training. :-)

W
    W
    Wolf was at martial arts today and the instructor asked the kids what fun things they did over the weekend/since last class. Other kids said things like played with friends, went miniature golfing, went to the beach, etc... Wolf raised his hand and said "I started writing a..." he looked at me for the word, "script for Star Wars!!!" His instructor seemed a bit startled...

K
    kec Offline
    K
    My DS8 has not been much of a reader. He loves us to read to him, but has only recently been reading on his own. His school announced a read-a-thon for MS, and my son was so thrilled with the idea, he came home from school and started reading a book. That was on March 8 and as of this morning he has finished seven books, with a total of about 1,300 pages!

M
    M
    Way to go, DS of kec! Three cheers for you!

peace
    minnie

Just gotta:

DS1 played the piano...well, ok, not really. But he was goofing around with a keyboard at the science center that makes oil do odd things, and he started using my hand to randomly smack at it (I think it was playing duck sounds or something at the time). Anyway, I was getting tired of the dischords, so I wrestled my fingers into thirds, so it would at least sound less bad. And he grinns at me with this lovy little "Oh, THANK you" face, and then starts using my fingers to play little patterns smile

Adorable lil thing! (He was really trying to get me on his side today... apparently he started planning tonight early wink

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    J
    J
    DS6 and I were at the library today. I asked him to pick out what his next topic that he wanted to read about was going to be. He informed me he wanted to read about WWI and WWII. I told him that we'll check out books on WWI first and then move onto WWII another times if he so chooses.

While we were at the library he began reading one of the books. When it was describing the allies and the Central Power forces beginning to fight and the amount of armies involved he said to me, "Wow, it's like a million rhinocerouses are going to ram another million rhinocerouses."

Never will I look at the beginnings of WWI the same way!

M
    M
    New here, but can't help to share:-)

DS4 got up one morning as asked me, what numbers 11 can be divided??
    I answered: "only 1 and itself, and nothing esle"
    "What about 12?"
    "Not only 1 and itself, but also 2,3,4,6"
    "Oh..."
    Then DS started to look for numbers only divied by 1 and itself,even he didn't know we call them "prime number"
    Soon he figured out most prime numbers within 100.
    Later afternoon, he asked me:
    "Mum, is One prime number too?"
    "Probably not"
    "Why??"
    "Hum...you got me, I don't know."

OK, I will.

DD6 took a fifth grade benchmark test for language arts and got about an 80% or so. She didn't know the term "narration". Otherwise, she did really well. So this is why she is bored in school. Huh.

Originally Posted by Mathboy
    "Mum, is One prime number too?"
    "Probably not"
    "Why??"
    "Hum...you got me, I don't know."

Don't know if you're actually looking for an answer to that question, but here it is anyway! laugh

One used to be considered a prime until pretty recently in the history of math. It turns out that various things (including the "fundamental theorem of arithmetic") work out more neatly if you define the primes to not include 1. Wikipedia sez: "the prime numbers have several properties that the number 1 lacks," so excluding 1 is the more sensible, natural definition of the primes.

Makes me want to smack the math teachers who told us smugly, "It's because a prime has exactly two different divisors, 1 and itself." And then they would give us a "gotcha" look, like they expected us to be impressed with the profundity of this insight. They didn't get it that they were just repeating the definition, without any justification.

F
    F
    I think you should put some paw prints down for the answer HeHe

Page 67 of 268 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM