Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 161 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #7271 01/15/08 02:30 AM
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    I thought I would start a new thread because I am curious just how many of your kids out there play chess.

After living and breathing chess with our son for 8 months, I know now that it is not just a stereotype that many chess players are HG. I have met so many parents, maybe some of you, and while we have chess in common, when talking further, there are many other issues we share in parenting these kids. Educating them seems to be the number one challenge!

If there are a significant number of kids out there who play regularly at regional or national tournaments, there may be a way to capitalize on that as a social networking opportunity for the kids, the parents or both!
    Thanks

I got my DS11 playing with me at age 5, and he does occasionally play at school, but doesn't yet like it, and will only play with me as part of a bargain of some kind. I really like it, and am still trying to figure out how to use Playchess.com

I can still beat DS11, but we have exciting games. When he was 5 he had lots of trouble with 'flow of ideas' being too meager, and I think playing helped him both to develop lots of plans, gracefully change plans, and the value of following the suggested stratagies, because if he brings out his Queen early, I eat it for lunch!

Enjoy!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    My son(5) got a chess set for Christmas. His poor high-school age babysitter (who is probably HG) was forced to play with him 3-4 hours a day over Christmas break while he learned. The concept of the game is easy for my son--it's the strategy that he still needs to develop. I still easily beat him. I hate that I have been working a lot lately and haven't had a chance to play much chess with him. I also think my son would need a lot more practice before he starts playing with other kids.

Last edited by crisc; 01/15/08 05:23 AM.

Crisc
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    My son absolutely loves the Fritz and Chester software.
    The graphics are unbelievable and it really teaches them not only the rules but strategy and tactics, too.
    There are three levels and we highly recommend them all.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Chess is popular with my kids, too. Last summer when we were going to Philadelphia, my sister told me about USA Chess Camp there and my boys wanted to attend. However we didn't have enough time. I contacted USA Chess and they're going to hold a camp this summer in my town!!!

cym #7288 01/15/08 06:56 AM
    Wow, you all make me enbarrased to admit this. I swear I am not an idiot... but my son was beating me regularly at age five, after he'd been playing for about a year. He's no savant, but he plays well and has far more ability to see ahead than I do.

He has not played a lot, other than a week of chess camp through USA Chess at age eight. He'd broken his arm and had to miss cub scout day camp that summer, so did the chess camp instead. It was a good experience, but all of the kids were pretty introverted and they didn't really make friends.

A homeschool mom in this area just started a chess club and ds reported that he won all three games he played at the first meeting. I'm hoping that he'll find future meeting a bit more competitive.

My dd7 loves chess. My brother taught her to play over the summer and she's starting to get pretty good at it.

Mia Offline
    I've been meaning to teach ds how to play chess and I just haven't! I did get him the book "Checkmate in Chessland," which he played with interest. But I have to get a board, because our old one is missing about 6 pieces -- ds liked to play with them as a toddler. smile

I looked around for a local club, but there just aren't many available. I know how to play, but I'm no great shakes at it, which makes me hesitant to teach him. I should make ex-h teach him, he's fabulous at chess. Hmmm... I should ask him to.

Mia
    Mia #7306 01/15/08 12:57 PM
    Rats! I just noticed the glaring typo I made above. Time has expired for correction! Phooey.

DS6 learned from DH how to play chess at 3, but to be honest, I don't really love chess, so I never play with him. He took an afterschool (non-GT) class last spring, but nothing since. He's probably forgotten how to play!

Bad Mommy! frown

Kriston
    acs Offline
    Both DH and I had older siblings who enjoyed destroying us at chess when we were little (both HG sibs were way older than us and it was not fair--still bitter). Anyway, these experiences soured us on chess. Completely unfair and viceral reaction, but the result is that if DS is going to learn chess it will have to be without DH and me. LOL

acs #7334 01/15/08 08:38 PM
    My dad is a chess guru and he taught me how to play when I was little but I never loved it, although I liked it ok. My DS6 got a chess teacher/game for the computer that came with a little chess set he carried around everywhere. He played alot with it for a while but he's not playing so much now. He really enjoys playing though. Acs maybe if your DS wants to play you could go the computer game route????

acs Offline
    I've considered that. I figure it's his uncle's job(s) to teach DS chess and buy him the computer board, etc. I see it as their opportunity to atone for their previous behavior. LOL.

I used to play competitive chess, but I haven't taught my son yet. I guess I should give it a shot and see if he is interested.

I agree that lots of people who are good in chess are GT. Lots of my teammates got accepted to prestigious universities and studied math, engineering, computer science and such. My department had lots of students with amazing chess skills. Not every mathematician is good in chess though. Dh is amazing as far as math goes, but he sucks in chess big time.

The bottom line is that I think chess competition can be a really good place to meet parents of GT kids. I guess I better start teaching my son chess then smile

LMom

LMom
    K
    K
    DS learned how to play chess in 1 day at a neighbor's house with their older grandchild at 4. He taught us how to play after begging for a chess board. He would love to find a club or league to hone his skills. He generally beats me and beats almost every child he plays around here. He needs a challenge! He's actually kind of dropped it lately because of the lack of challenge.

D
    D
    DS11 enjoys chess, although he hasn�t played much lately and has never played seriously.

Last year at this time, he took a Saturday class for local GT kids and ended in the final two, but missed the last game due to BB. He wants to get involved in the regional league, but he (and possibly, his sister) would have to give up some other interest in order for him to pursue it seriously.

We may consider the CHESS camp for him this year also. He doesn�t care much for sleep away camps yet, so that may be a good option.

Yahoo has chess online.

Kids can enroll themselves and then move up in rankings.

http://games.yahoo.com/board-games

Isa Offline
    are we the only ones that do not play chess at all?

DH hates it and I never developed an interest. Despite this, I was thinking of learning myself and teach DD during summer holidays.
    At home with DS (aka 'demolition squad') would be nearly impossible.

Isa #19544 07/10/08 01:14 PM
    Yahoo games has a lot of stuff.

My DW is a game-a-holic. She lives there.

Are the yahoo games safe for kids?

C
    cym Offline
    C
    My kids play Its Your Turn (www.itsyourturn.com/) pente and other games, generally with our adult friends, though we've lectured them ahead of time on giving out personal information and having internet "chats" with anyone.

cym #19821 07/11/08 03:37 PM
    I am the only on that plays chess, or I should say played chess. DS5 has shown some interst so maybe over the summer I will teach him. A mther I met with GT kids out of Nevada suggested I teach him using just pawns first. Then move on to other pieces using things like just the queen, bishops and king. I kind of like this because it helps develop stratagy. Any ideas out there on this?

Edwin, I checked out a book on chess for kids and it had several games like that ie starting with just pawns etc. I'll see if I can find it.

Dazed
    Thank you, I normally just plow ahead, a format would be nice.

incogneato
    Thank you, I like the visual cue. DS5 is ok with me showing him, but only for so long.

In teaching him games, normaly I let him win the first few times for confidance, do any of you do this?

I tried to post a chart, but the format eliminated all the nice neat spacing I did and smooshed it all together.

DD's got a chart from chess club at school.

You can just take a piece of paper or make a chart in word.

The top headings would be Name, then Movement, then Strengths and lastly Weakness.

Under the name heading go down the list for each piece, pawn, knight etc.

under picture you can draw or click art a picture of the piece and add directional arrows demonstrating possible movements

Then under movements, just describe what the piece can do.

Do the same for Strenths and Weakness, you get the picture.

I wish I had a link, but I think the chess club leader came up with this on her own. Unfortunately I don't even have a scanner or I would sent it in an e-mail

I do but DH doesn't. Who do you think they prefer to play with?

smile

DD8 is catching on and is over it, she'll mostly play with dad. But DD6 is lacking in confidence, so why not?

Incogneato

Yhank you, I think I will do that, and start with some individual piece games.

DS is willing to play chess when asked, but seems to prefer and really do better with both checkers and the Japanese* territory game 'Go'. He routinely beats me at both. I think there might be some sentimental attachment for him on both of these choices; he has a great uncle from Britain who has given 'draughts' a certain sophisticated aura for him and he knows the Go board we play with was acquired by his grandpa while in the service. *(Might originally be attributable to China or Korea..have to look that one up.)

He has enjoyed playing checkers online; I think nickelodeon has a website with lots of free games and checkers with one of the characters is available.

Last edited by chris1234; 07/12/08 05:01 PM. Reason: not sure on factoid...
    J
    J
    A clever dad at my son's elementary school started a chess club. A professional chess player would come once a week and give lessons afterschool. It wasn't long before the club started competeting in district and regional games.

Well, that is how my son started playing chess. He played for 2-3 years until someone in middle school said chess is for geeks and wierdos. Before that, he placed 20th in state competitions under his ranking class.

I hope he starts playing again. He's a teen now and beats all of us here at the house. Sometimes he will play online or with the computer.

It's very good strategic thinking practice!

T
    T
    My DS picked up the game in April and is "chess-obsessed"! Another Mom on this site suggested the Lego Chess software. DS (6yr)loves it. He can select the difficulty level and if feeds his other obession ...legos!:)

We also attened a summer chess camp. It was great for helping him with strategy and tatics. Now, only my DH (gifted) can beat him.

Speaking of legos, and chess, we got our lego chess board in the mail, and today we made our chess pieces. I was just going to take it slow with DS4, showing him one at a time what each player does. I tried to start with the pawn, but he said "i want to know what my queen does first!" When we got through all the pieces, he had to play a game, of course. It all came so easily for him, that it made me a bit worried.

The first half of the game, I would point out things like "but if you move there, I can take your queen, and then you'll be sad." In one move in the second half of the game, I told him if he moved there, I'd take his queen. He said, "But you won't, because then I'll be sad." At that point, I told him yes, i would start taking his queen now.

My favorite part was making the pieces with DS4. I'm not a big fan of chess, but I like arty, creative stuff. smile I think DS4 will be able to overtake my chess ability soon, so hopefully DH will get home from work early enough to play DS, otherwise I'll seek out a chess club. Or check out the Lego software - i didn't know that existed (we too have a lego-obsessed child)

Last edited by st pauli girl; 07/14/08 08:32 PM.
    "In one move in the second half of the game, I told him if he moved there, I'd take his queen. He said, "But you won't, because then I'll be sad." At that point, I told him yes, i would start taking his queen now."

ROFLMAO!!!!!

That's too great!

T
    T
    I taught ds at 6 what basics I knew of chess and within a few weeks he was beating me repetedly. I tried to get a high schooler from the chess club to tutor him over that summer but the kid never showed. I signed DS up for USA Chess he loves getting the Chess Life for Kids since each issue has moves to try. The Middle school he will go to in 2 years has a chess club so he said he will wait till then to learn more since beating me is getting boring. lol

T
    T
    TheMommason

I hired a middle school boy (chess club kid) to come in twice a month and hang out with my ds (6). They played chess, risk, monopoly etc. It was fantastic! Keep looking! The older boy got a kick out of the fact that a little kid could keep up with him.

I think it was Questions who recommended posting notices at a close college on the career board for the department of interest for the child.

I think that's a brilliant idea. smile

I think I'll go over to the sciences and post:

Wanted: Science student to "babysit" six year old girl who wants to learn to blow stuff up.

How much do you think they would charge for something like that? smile

ROFLMAO!!!

Heck, the college students might pay you, provided you bail them out when the cops show up to arrest someone!

grin

Kriston
    HOO HOOOO LOL!

Sounds like a PARTY!!!!!

T
    T
    incogneato ROTFLSHIPMP!!! Well if you find one don't tell my DS he would be expecting the same thing LOL

laugh

S
    S-T Offline
    S
    DS8 started playing chess when he was in pre-K (4+). He played at home with dh, read only chess books and play chess on iMac and read abt chess online. In school during recess, he asked if he could stay in the class to play chess on the PC because he didn't like recess then (no friends to play with). His teacher obliged him..that he could only stay in on condition that she was in the classroom...if not he had to go out to the playground. He joined the school's chess club for a semester and played with the older kids. After abt 6mths of "obession", he stopped playing. Now he still reads his chess books sometimes but he doesn't play at all! frown

S-T #25318 09/09/08 04:50 AM
    Is he dissapointed with this agemate chess opponents? My dd quit chess club at school because of this. She made a move they hadn't "covered" yet and was told not to do it anymore because no one else had learned it. frown

Perhaps he is loading strategy and will pick it up later. We leave a beautiful chess set out in the living room that a good friend gave me. Also, chess software on the computer.

It seems like they ignore it for awhile, then play for periods and go back and forth.

M
    M
    Neither DH nor I play chess, but DS6 decided he wanted to learn (I didn't know he even knew what chess was). He got some books from the library, read through them and then asked if he could look online for a how-to website. He whipped through that in a couple of nights. At that point we didn't even own a chess board. I signed him up for a chess club through one of the homeschooling groups and bought him a learner set. He did fantastic for never having played before- he even won a game.

DS6 asked me to learn to play and then I taught DH, DS6 taught DS4 to play and they both have managed to win a couple of games over DH and I. DS6's ability to see ahead in the game completely amazes me. He'll tell us that a move is bad because if we move it there then in 4 or 5 moves he'll have taken our piece, lol. It took us a while to convince him that he wasn't the only one strategizing and we weren't going to just sit there and let him take it.

I think it's funny that a month ago none of us played chess and now we're constantly challenging each other to a game!

S
    S-T Offline
    S
    One reason was because the club was a "Chess and Games" club and most kids were more interested in playing with the board games. He beat the older kids (grade 5 and up) for a few games and that made him "popular" suddenly in the cafeteria. LOL. The older boys will call out to him when they see him around. He noticed that some kids played with their king and queen on the wrong colour (!) and when he made some moves, he had to explain that they were legitimate moves. He was quite frustrated sometimes.The time was quite short (35mins) so they couldn't finish the game all the time. Other times, his opponent may lose interest and thus move the pieces intending to lose, so as to end the game early. It was just not fun for him anymore. I think he moved on to Math.... grin

S-T #25341 09/09/08 09:16 AM
    T
    T

Oh how your stories sound familiar. DS is beyond chess obsessed. At the moment he is gunning for me to enter him in a scholastic tournament so he can become "ranked". He is constantly wanting to play our computer chess games. He went through a phase this summer where we had to watch "Searching for Bobby Fisher" on a daily basis...just to see if he could learn any new moves. To be honest, his insatiable drive is making me concerned and giving me a few gray hairs.

We enrolled him in our school's chess club (in lieu of another club we found out about from a summer camp). DS wanted to play with his friends that played last year in Kindergarten. To be honest, it was also easier than driving him to the neighboring town - he just goes into school early. However, he is frustrated with the group. The club will not allow my son to play outside his grade level (1st). Yet, he can beat many adult players. They are covering the basic moves and ds is way beyond that. There are one or two kids that act-out so the class is continually stopped to get them back in line. He really isn't learning anything (for $139 a semester - ouch!). He was extremely disappointed when he learned there was only one tournament (again he will be confined to grade level). He said none of the kids actually want to play him since he always wins. A big part of me wants to ask for my money back. It just isn't going to be a good fit. However, I keep thinking it is just the first month - maybe things will improve. smile

S
    S-T Offline
    S
    If your DS is not enjoying and learning in the club, I would stop it. Is it possible for you to get a credit for what u have paid and or transfer him to another activity that interest him? If not, I will just let him finish this semester and not continue.

I once signed up DS for Go with a private teacher as he wanted to learn the game. It didn't work out because the teacher was rather strict (the game is strict too). Hands at the side..... no touching your own pieces..... no questioning during the teaching session (only the teacher was allowed to "set" the pace and the strategy). DS was frustrated because he could "foresee" the next pattern / formation and he has lots of questions to ask but was told that those would be covered in later lessons! Luckily the fees were paid by session, so I stopped after 3 sessions.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM