Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    S
    S-T Offline
    S
    DS8 started playing chess when he was in pre-K (4+). He played at home with dh, read only chess books and play chess on iMac and read abt chess online. In school during recess, he asked if he could stay in the class to play chess on the PC because he didn't like recess then (no friends to play with). His teacher obliged him..that he could only stay in on condition that she was in the classroom...if not he had to go out to the playground. He joined the school's chess club for a semester and played with the older kids. After abt 6mths of "obession", he stopped playing. Now he still reads his chess books sometimes but he doesn't play at all! frown

S-T #25318 09/09/08 04:50 AM
    Is he dissapointed with this agemate chess opponents? My dd quit chess club at school because of this. She made a move they hadn't "covered" yet and was told not to do it anymore because no one else had learned it. frown

Perhaps he is loading strategy and will pick it up later. We leave a beautiful chess set out in the living room that a good friend gave me. Also, chess software on the computer.

It seems like they ignore it for awhile, then play for periods and go back and forth.

M
    M
    Neither DH nor I play chess, but DS6 decided he wanted to learn (I didn't know he even knew what chess was). He got some books from the library, read through them and then asked if he could look online for a how-to website. He whipped through that in a couple of nights. At that point we didn't even own a chess board. I signed him up for a chess club through one of the homeschooling groups and bought him a learner set. He did fantastic for never having played before- he even won a game.

DS6 asked me to learn to play and then I taught DH, DS6 taught DS4 to play and they both have managed to win a couple of games over DH and I. DS6's ability to see ahead in the game completely amazes me. He'll tell us that a move is bad because if we move it there then in 4 or 5 moves he'll have taken our piece, lol. It took us a while to convince him that he wasn't the only one strategizing and we weren't going to just sit there and let him take it.

I think it's funny that a month ago none of us played chess and now we're constantly challenging each other to a game!

S
    S-T Offline
    S
    One reason was because the club was a "Chess and Games" club and most kids were more interested in playing with the board games. He beat the older kids (grade 5 and up) for a few games and that made him "popular" suddenly in the cafeteria. LOL. The older boys will call out to him when they see him around. He noticed that some kids played with their king and queen on the wrong colour (!) and when he made some moves, he had to explain that they were legitimate moves. He was quite frustrated sometimes.The time was quite short (35mins) so they couldn't finish the game all the time. Other times, his opponent may lose interest and thus move the pieces intending to lose, so as to end the game early. It was just not fun for him anymore. I think he moved on to Math.... grin

S-T #25341 09/09/08 09:16 AM
    T
    T

Oh how your stories sound familiar. DS is beyond chess obsessed. At the moment he is gunning for me to enter him in a scholastic tournament so he can become "ranked". He is constantly wanting to play our computer chess games. He went through a phase this summer where we had to watch "Searching for Bobby Fisher" on a daily basis...just to see if he could learn any new moves. To be honest, his insatiable drive is making me concerned and giving me a few gray hairs.

We enrolled him in our school's chess club (in lieu of another club we found out about from a summer camp). DS wanted to play with his friends that played last year in Kindergarten. To be honest, it was also easier than driving him to the neighboring town - he just goes into school early. However, he is frustrated with the group. The club will not allow my son to play outside his grade level (1st). Yet, he can beat many adult players. They are covering the basic moves and ds is way beyond that. There are one or two kids that act-out so the class is continually stopped to get them back in line. He really isn't learning anything (for $139 a semester - ouch!). He was extremely disappointed when he learned there was only one tournament (again he will be confined to grade level). He said none of the kids actually want to play him since he always wins. A big part of me wants to ask for my money back. It just isn't going to be a good fit. However, I keep thinking it is just the first month - maybe things will improve. smile

S
    S-T Offline
    S
    If your DS is not enjoying and learning in the club, I would stop it. Is it possible for you to get a credit for what u have paid and or transfer him to another activity that interest him? If not, I will just let him finish this semester and not continue.

I once signed up DS for Go with a private teacher as he wanted to learn the game. It didn't work out because the teacher was rather strict (the game is strict too). Hands at the side..... no touching your own pieces..... no questioning during the teaching session (only the teacher was allowed to "set" the pace and the strategy). DS was frustrated because he could "foresee" the next pattern / formation and he has lots of questions to ask but was told that those would be covered in later lessons! Luckily the fees were paid by session, so I stopped after 3 sessions.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM