Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 322 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    acs Offline
    Both DH and I had older siblings who enjoyed destroying us at chess when we were little (both HG sibs were way older than us and it was not fair--still bitter). Anyway, these experiences soured us on chess. Completely unfair and viceral reaction, but the result is that if DS is going to learn chess it will have to be without DH and me. LOL

acs #7334 01/15/08 08:38 PM
    My dad is a chess guru and he taught me how to play when I was little but I never loved it, although I liked it ok. My DS6 got a chess teacher/game for the computer that came with a little chess set he carried around everywhere. He played alot with it for a while but he's not playing so much now. He really enjoys playing though. Acs maybe if your DS wants to play you could go the computer game route????

acs Offline
    I've considered that. I figure it's his uncle's job(s) to teach DS chess and buy him the computer board, etc. I see it as their opportunity to atone for their previous behavior. LOL.

I used to play competitive chess, but I haven't taught my son yet. I guess I should give it a shot and see if he is interested.

I agree that lots of people who are good in chess are GT. Lots of my teammates got accepted to prestigious universities and studied math, engineering, computer science and such. My department had lots of students with amazing chess skills. Not every mathematician is good in chess though. Dh is amazing as far as math goes, but he sucks in chess big time.

The bottom line is that I think chess competition can be a really good place to meet parents of GT kids. I guess I better start teaching my son chess then smile

LMom

LMom
    K
    K
    DS learned how to play chess in 1 day at a neighbor's house with their older grandchild at 4. He taught us how to play after begging for a chess board. He would love to find a club or league to hone his skills. He generally beats me and beats almost every child he plays around here. He needs a challenge! He's actually kind of dropped it lately because of the lack of challenge.

D
    D
    DS11 enjoys chess, although he hasn�t played much lately and has never played seriously.

Last year at this time, he took a Saturday class for local GT kids and ended in the final two, but missed the last game due to BB. He wants to get involved in the regional league, but he (and possibly, his sister) would have to give up some other interest in order for him to pursue it seriously.

We may consider the CHESS camp for him this year also. He doesn�t care much for sleep away camps yet, so that may be a good option.

Yahoo has chess online.

Kids can enroll themselves and then move up in rankings.

http://games.yahoo.com/board-games

Isa Offline
    are we the only ones that do not play chess at all?

DH hates it and I never developed an interest. Despite this, I was thinking of learning myself and teach DD during summer holidays.
    At home with DS (aka 'demolition squad') would be nearly impossible.

Isa #19544 07/10/08 01:14 PM
    Yahoo games has a lot of stuff.

My DW is a game-a-holic. She lives there.

Are the yahoo games safe for kids?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM