Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #7271 01/15/08 02:30 AM
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    I thought I would start a new thread because I am curious just how many of your kids out there play chess.

After living and breathing chess with our son for 8 months, I know now that it is not just a stereotype that many chess players are HG. I have met so many parents, maybe some of you, and while we have chess in common, when talking further, there are many other issues we share in parenting these kids. Educating them seems to be the number one challenge!

If there are a significant number of kids out there who play regularly at regional or national tournaments, there may be a way to capitalize on that as a social networking opportunity for the kids, the parents or both!
    Thanks

I got my DS11 playing with me at age 5, and he does occasionally play at school, but doesn't yet like it, and will only play with me as part of a bargain of some kind. I really like it, and am still trying to figure out how to use Playchess.com

I can still beat DS11, but we have exciting games. When he was 5 he had lots of trouble with 'flow of ideas' being too meager, and I think playing helped him both to develop lots of plans, gracefully change plans, and the value of following the suggested stratagies, because if he brings out his Queen early, I eat it for lunch!

Enjoy!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    My son(5) got a chess set for Christmas. His poor high-school age babysitter (who is probably HG) was forced to play with him 3-4 hours a day over Christmas break while he learned. The concept of the game is easy for my son--it's the strategy that he still needs to develop. I still easily beat him. I hate that I have been working a lot lately and haven't had a chance to play much chess with him. I also think my son would need a lot more practice before he starts playing with other kids.

Last edited by crisc; 01/15/08 05:23 AM.

Crisc
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    My son absolutely loves the Fritz and Chester software.
    The graphics are unbelievable and it really teaches them not only the rules but strategy and tactics, too.
    There are three levels and we highly recommend them all.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Chess is popular with my kids, too. Last summer when we were going to Philadelphia, my sister told me about USA Chess Camp there and my boys wanted to attend. However we didn't have enough time. I contacted USA Chess and they're going to hold a camp this summer in my town!!!

cym #7288 01/15/08 06:56 AM
    Wow, you all make me enbarrased to admit this. I swear I am not an idiot... but my son was beating me regularly at age five, after he'd been playing for about a year. He's no savant, but he plays well and has far more ability to see ahead than I do.

He has not played a lot, other than a week of chess camp through USA Chess at age eight. He'd broken his arm and had to miss cub scout day camp that summer, so did the chess camp instead. It was a good experience, but all of the kids were pretty introverted and they didn't really make friends.

A homeschool mom in this area just started a chess club and ds reported that he won all three games he played at the first meeting. I'm hoping that he'll find future meeting a bit more competitive.

My dd7 loves chess. My brother taught her to play over the summer and she's starting to get pretty good at it.

Mia Offline
    I've been meaning to teach ds how to play chess and I just haven't! I did get him the book "Checkmate in Chessland," which he played with interest. But I have to get a board, because our old one is missing about 6 pieces -- ds liked to play with them as a toddler. smile

I looked around for a local club, but there just aren't many available. I know how to play, but I'm no great shakes at it, which makes me hesitant to teach him. I should make ex-h teach him, he's fabulous at chess. Hmmm... I should ask him to.

Mia
    Mia #7306 01/15/08 12:57 PM
    Rats! I just noticed the glaring typo I made above. Time has expired for correction! Phooey.

DS6 learned from DH how to play chess at 3, but to be honest, I don't really love chess, so I never play with him. He took an afterschool (non-GT) class last spring, but nothing since. He's probably forgotten how to play!

Bad Mommy! frown

Kriston
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM