Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
    We have 3 families with similar aged boys at the hour away mark, that we've gotten to know through YSP. My son "hit it off" with one a pair of brothers, and it's been amazing for me to see him interact with them in a totally different way than he interacts with me, or his cousins, or his other fiends.

The "Density" varies by area. But we have also learned about certain local events, such as MIT Splash, Beyond IQ Conference, and the Talent Search activities through YSP parents. Meeting Dottie and her son in real life has been so important, because as you know, my son's "adaptive" behaviors in the past have had us all wondering "what's wrong with him?" Dottie can vouch that he spends long hours at a time acting like a delightful young young man. When we were first in the YSP, I was desperate enough to drive to gatherings 6 hours away, just for my son to breath the same air as other YS kids. I am happy to report that I am much less desperate now, and have even turned down 3 hour trips.

Smiles,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Hi,

It's Questions with questions again. I'm confused (sorry, Confused). I've been reading a lot of the other posts here and then I went back to look at the YSP criteria, and I'm not sure what Total Language is on the WIAT-II. Our son's substests were Reading Composite, Math Comp., Written Language Comp. and Oral Language Comp. Which one is the Total Language referenced on the YSP website? Now I"m wondering if I misread the qualifications - oral language is our child's strength - he has a fine motor delay and resultant writing issues. Is oral language the Total Language they're referring to? Of course, I could just call and ask... but you all seem so nice!

C
    C
    gee suddenly i don't feel so alone. everybody is me smile
    but i also have questions, questions.
    and dottie if you are confused at this point i don't feel so bad about being confused.

haha.....

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I do like this forum. You are ALL so nice! In any event, thanks, Dottie - if it's oral language we're okay, as he has qualifying scores with the composite and one subtest, as well as the VCI on the WISC-IV. Now I'll have to go over to Test Discrepancy and see what you wrote...

Thanks, everyone - for the info and the laughs.

I'm glad you feel just like I do about finding this forum, questions! It has been so incredible for me to be able to talk about my dd like this. The women here (are there any men that post? wink ) are so helpful and encouraging. Feels like home!

Last edited by Tammiane; 11/27/07 03:22 PM.
    C
    C
    Well questions
    I'm sorry for hijacking your thread.
    but you and dottie did invoke confusion.

I just read this thread aloud to my DH. Hilarious!

Kriston
    Well, I feel like I should change my name - maybe to "Answers?" or how about "Bossy?" Maybe "UnSpeller" would be better!

Big Giant Giggly Smile,
    Trinity

You all don't know how many "Broadway Musicals" I've made up in my mind while waiting for the traffic to clear, about my life with you all in the Gifted Liberation Movement. I never remember them the next day. Now that we have Confused, Questions, and Incognito I feel more like I'm living "A Chourus Line" than ever before!!!

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM