Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    bh14 #72884 03/30/10 08:53 AM
    B
    B
    maybe the lack of response was an oversight. Same thing happened to me and I thought.... THEY ARE AVOIDING ME! HAHA! But, i popped in the office when I was at school and asked if the email was received. the princ. thought she had responded but didn't?! Either that or sometimes they prefer NOT to have a written trail wink so it doesn't come back to bite them in the end. hahaha!

Catalana #72887 03/30/10 09:29 AM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Catalana
    And now the Principal hasn't replied to my email that I sent last Monday - I'm giving it until tomorrow when I resend the email and say "Just wondering if you received this?" when I already know she just doesn't want to deal with it.

did your email have questions or things that you wanted her to check into. Sometimes it is not a bad thing when they don't respond right away. It may mean they are checking into something. I would rather wait for a definitive answer then just have them make something up to make me feel better. Sometimes I have sent emails to the school about things that they are supposed to be doing and I don't hear back for a week or 2, good news is that usually during that week or two they are trying to throw things together and start working on them. It's tough not harassing too much but still holding them accountable for what they say they will do. It is a delicate balance : ) Good luck!

Catalana #72899 03/30/10 02:47 PM
    Originally Posted by Catalana
    Wowzer Grinity, that is a tale. And as I read it I keep thinking "oh please please please don't let that happen to me." Sigh.
    I pray it does not.
    And now the Principal hasn't replied to my email that I sent last Monday - I'm giving it until tomorrow when I resend the email and say "Just wondering if you received this?" when I already know she just doesn't want to deal with it. [/quote]
    Seems reasonable.

Another big sigh. Cat [/quote]

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #72914 03/30/10 05:51 PM
    B
    B
    Hi Grinity and all you folks here, it's been tough for you guys; I really hope things stay on track *from here on*.

I'm starting to understand how school advocacy can be a long drawn, 1-step-forward, 2-steps-backwards battle. I'm borrowing this thread to grouse because I see a some similarities with Grintiy's case - at the start of the year, we were given promises of "more" by the Gifted Board, and it gradually crystalized into a 1 yr grade skip. This is March - the promises of a grade skip were rescinded when they administered a short notice math achievement test. Their verdict about DS7 - "he dooesn't do math puzzles, does he? He knows his concepts but not deep enough. Yes he can do algebra, probability and combinations even, but he has to fill in his gaps first". I don't get it. Yes he will fill them in with the appropriate material, in school, at the right grade (we're only asking for that original 1 grade skip to 2nd grade, because of social and handwriting issues). But at home, my belief is he should have the joy of choosing to work on what delights him. Their implication is that I should drill him on earlier concepts. Is this what gifted education is about? Step by step progression?? And I do the advance prep myself? What's he in school for?

They will review in 3 mths, by which time, they hope to see improvement. Luckily his school teacher is solidly convinced about him. I still feel sick in the gut because this means I have to prep him into the shape they want. I signed him up for Aleks, and luckily too, he seems to be enjoying it. But the entire process just seems so wrong.

blob #72950 03/31/10 11:04 AM
    Originally Posted by blob
    They will review in 3 mths, by which time, they hope to see improvement. Luckily his school teacher is solidly convinced about him. I still feel sick in the gut because this means I have to prep him into the shape they want. I signed him up for Aleks, and luckily too, he seems to be enjoying it. But the entire process just seems so wrong.

Do it Blob. Write many angry letters that you burn until you can do it with a smile - there is nothing wrong with a child being encouraged to learn memorization skills. There is nothing wrong with teaching a child that one has to live in this imperfect world and jump through hoops once in a while. You may as well make the most fun of it as you can - they only win if you let them sour you.

I think of this kind of skill drill as 'hothousing' and I am in favor of playing their game as a means of communicating in their language. It's lovely when the school folk speak 'parent' and see things from your point of view (which I believe is entirely correct) but as a matter of practicality, we have to learn their language, and in their world, 7 times 8 is key.

So here's a congratulation for getting the agreement for the skip, and for figuring out what it will take to get it to work, AND for getting started. yippee!!

Grinity

blob #72952 03/31/10 11:16 AM
    (we're only asking for that original 1 grade skip to 2nd grade, because of social and handwriting issues).

Of course this is me talking, I'd at least try hothousing the handwriting as well and go for the 2nd skip! Maybe if the Math drill hothousing goes well you'll be inspired to try the handwriting. These asynchronous kids are tough!!!

Grinity

Grinity #72986 04/01/10 01:27 AM
    B
    B
    Tks Grinity and kcab. You guys have been solid in your understanding and support. What will we do without you!

Yup. It's the lingua franca and we are learning it. Good thing is, the son IS motivated, so he's progressing well according to their prescribed benchmarks (scoff). But yes, and *smile* too! On the flipside, he says that when he grows up, he wants to be in charge of education, except that he'll change the name to the Ministry of Wonder, or the Wonder Board because kids learn when they wonder, not when they do drills. smirk

Good luck, Catalana! Hope you have your reply by now.

blob #72987 04/01/10 04:17 AM
    he'll change the name to the Ministry of Wonder, or the Wonder Board because kids learn when they wonder, not when they do drills.

I love this! It is so true. Can I go to his school please? Nan

Kate #73011 04/01/10 12:15 PM
    Originally Posted by NanRos
    he'll change the name to the Ministry of Wonder, or the Wonder Board because kids learn when they wonder, not when they do drills.

I love this! It is so true. Can I go to his school please? Nan
    Me too?

Grinity #73022 04/01/10 04:51 PM
    B
    B
    WIll let you guys know when admissions open. wink

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent