Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #65295 01/05/10 07:19 AM
    B
    BethG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    My third grade DD8 will be taking the SCAT in February. We live pretty close to Hopkins and there is a camp available very close to us (Alexandria, VA) if she qualifies for CTY.

She's never taken a test in this format before and I'm wondering a) what to tell her about what to expect and b) how to make her more comfortable. She has some anxiety and is a bit of a worrier, so I am concerned that she coudl get in there and freak out a little.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mom to DD9 and DD3
    BethG #65300 01/05/10 07:55 AM
    K
    K
    My 3rd grader took it a month or 2 ago. A couple things that would have helped him was to be told what the test center was going to be like. He was surrounded by college age kids taking various tests and then when SCHOOL COLLEGE APTITUDE TEST popped up he was sure it was the wrong test and alerted the helper. laugh It definitely would have been helpful for him to know he should take his time. He had lots of time left on both sections. He is a hurrier and tends to be sloppy sometimes even when he knows material well. In fact, generally the better he knows it, the sloppier he tends to be. We downloaded all the sample tests and that was good practice just to know what the format would look like. Our other issue is we were going to lunch at the place of his choosing right afterwards, and I don't think that helped him slow down at all! He had a terrible cold and didn't sleep well a couple nights before either.

All that being said, he did pretty great on a test I wasn't sure he would be able to show his stuff on at all. On a better day, he may have scored better, but it's good practice just to be able to do a timed/standardized test. So don't worry too much. Results are pretty fast too. We had a login to see scores online within a week.

#65316 01/05/10 12:12 PM
    B
    BethG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks! This is very helpful. smile

We downloaded all the sample tests and that was good practice just to know what the format would look like.

I've only seen a few sample questions on the CTY website. Is that what you mean?

Mom to DD9 and DD3
    BethG #65374 01/06/10 12:35 PM
    M
    M
    When my daughters took the SCAT tests last year, and it was their first time ever taking a computerized test, I just had them do the sample problems that was in the CTY booklet we received. There were only 4-5 problems for each levels, but it showed the screen view, which I thought was important so they were familiar. I also got them an analogies workbook to review some basic concepts, since I wasn't sure if they were familiar with analogies.

Mainly, just be sure to get good night sleep! For my "speedy" daughter, I reminded her to check her work if she was done early. For my other daughter, I reminded her of the clock time at the bottom of the screen so she can pace herself.

They thought the tests were fun.

mominsac #71587 03/16/10 06:57 AM
    H
    H
    I found some sample math questions to get my kid familiar with the test.

http://120perhour.com/scat-sample-test-index.htm

Just do it twice and have a good rest before test. :-)

Helenjhq #72119 03/21/10 09:45 AM
    H
    H
    Talk to your child about the test setting is the most important thing imo. My D. took SCAT when she was 9 (5th grade, just about 10 years old). We did talk to her about how there were two sessions, she should use 22 min for each, etc. Well, she got in, came out after 8 min. said she was done. She took a break, went back in. Supposely the second part is also 22 min. She was in for about35 min. I still don't know what happened there. She did not do as well as we hoped. I think that has something to do with the fact that she was so unfamiliar with the test rules. She did pass CTY score line so we did not bother to re-test. So my suggestion is make sure your child understand he/she has 22 min. make sure he has sense to time and time limit. etc.

hanna #72188 03/22/10 09:45 AM
    F
    F
    So my suggestion is make sure your child understand he/she has 22 min. make sure he has sense to time and time limit. etc.

Is there a clock or a countdown on the computer while they are taking the test? or does it just shut time when the time is up?

smile

B
    B
    Yes, there is a timer on computer screen.

BooBoo #72204 03/22/10 12:56 PM
    M
    M
    On another thread about the SCAT (unless I overlooked it here), someone said they knew a person who'd had their DC put a post-it on the monitor over the timer so that they wouldn't worry about it so much.

Might be helpful if you're worried about your DC watching the clock.

hanna #72313 03/23/10 05:41 PM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by hanna
    Talk to your child about the test setting is the most important thing imo. My D. took SCAT when she was 9 (5th grade, just about 10 years old). We did talk to her about how there were two sessions, she should use 22 min for each, etc. Well, she got in, came out after 8 min. said she was done. She took a break, went back in. Supposely the second part is also 22 min. She was in for about35 min. I still don't know what happened there. She did not do as well as we hoped. I think that has something to do with the fact that she was so unfamiliar with the test rules. She did pass CTY score line so we did not bother to re-test. So my suggestion is make sure your child understand he/she has 22 min. make sure he has sense to time and time limit. etc.

My daughter did the same thing. I sent her back, and she popped out after about 10 minutes. She did very well on that section, so I don't think she was rushing through it.
    After the second section, they had her complete an evaluation on the computer. That might have been what took your daughter the extra time at the end.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM