Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22
    G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    Minniemarx - thank you so much for all of the suggestions. I will be very busy searching out some of these - hopefully the library will have some of them. We go through a lot of books and this really gives me some great ideas.

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    Mia, GD5 and I read "Scaredy Squirell" tonight for a bedtime story and she absolutely loved it. Thanks for the suggestion.

One of her recent favorites was Groundhog Weather School - really cute!

C
    C
    My children, DD6 and DD8, just finished

Aquamarine by Alice Hoffman.

I read it too to make sure it was appropriate for my sensitive DD and it was not scary at all. The writing was very good (no surprise given the author), especially for a J book. I found the book a little on the girly side, but my DS said "Mom, are there any more books like this?"

This is not an animal or picture book, but good if you need safe well written novels for your precocious 6 year old.

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    Coelacanth - thanks for the recommendation - I'll check it out.

T
    T
    For early teen girls: The Beekeeper's Apprentice, by Laurie King. It is about a 13 year old girl who becomes Sherlock Holmes' apprentice. Again, I think my D loved it so much because she is very like the gifted female girl in the story. There are several more in the series, but that is the one that D read until it fell apart.

Has anyone read through the whole series? DD9 just read the first book, loved it, and I know she's going to want to read more. Is there anything inappropriate for a pre-teen that I need to be aware of as we work our way through the books?

I
    I
    I read them all (and am the OP about my D reading them). Eventually Holmes falls for her and marries her. But if I remember correctly, there is really no s** (sorry, posting at work smile ), I think a kiss is about it. Although I believe the book that happens in has Russell (the girl) becoming a heroin addict in the hands of evil captors, and Holmes rescues her. There are definitely scary moments in the books. My D was probably 12 when she read them. She is not a particularly sensitive kid in that respect, so it was okay for her. So it depends on your daughter. The newest one just came out yesterday, my D is begging for a trip to the bookstore!

Val,

Has she read the Rainbow Fairy books?

My dd6 loved those when she was 4. They are pretty fluffy! No real need to understand complex social situation but enough pages to feel like a chapter book. There about a million of them, and you may tire of the plot, but she probably won't if she enjoys fantasy.

Now my daughter is into some heavier reading, although still very much into fantasy still.

O
    O
    Optical illusions : the science of visual perception / Al Seckel.

We just borrowed this from the library. I had a fun time looking at this with DS9. try it.

Just got this in the mail, looks pretty good for my 9 year old, but we'll see.
    "Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer" by John Grisham. I don't usually get too into his novels, but I thought it would be a good read for a kid who likes to argue (a lot).

Let me know if you've checked this out and like or don't like it. I have read a few pages and so far seems ok.

M
    M
    I just read a book review by Michael Dirda in the Washington Post for, "A Little Book of Language" by David Crystal. Might be interesting for those of your DC (and adults too) who are logophiles.

Recognizing a winning concept, Yale has now followed Gombrich's history with "A Little Book of Language," by the eminent and prolific linguist David Crystal. Best known for the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language and "The Stories of English," Crystal here writes for the true beginner, but does so with his usual clarity and authority, as he ranges from ancient etymologies to modern text-messaging. The chapters -- again 40 of them -- are made doubly engaging by Jean-Manuel Duvivier's frolicsome, highly stylized black-and-white illustrations

Here's a link to the full review:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/02/AR2010060204513.html

Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM