Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 324 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    zhian #71850 03/18/10 03:48 PM
    Originally Posted by zhian
    I do have one more piece of advice: the reason my dad did so well with me was always that he didn't quite know what he was doing. He grew up in an orphanage and had no experience of family life, so everything he did with me was a response to ME and OUR SITUATION. I recognized the value of this from about age nine and often commented on it to my mom when she was in one of her "this is the way a family works!" moods. I think going in with no preconceptions about how things should be or how you should act is probably the best thing a parent of a gifted child can do.

Oooh, very important and true! I personally think it's that best thing ANY parent can do - but that's probably another topic. wink

B
    B
    Zhian and HannahZ, tks so much for sharing. We're not Americans ourselves, so while I don't know what it is like to be American, I do know what the expectations are in an Asian context. I have people (my DS' classmate's mom, for example) telling me how I should bring up my kid - he asks too many questions, he doesn't know how to make friends, etc. Like they presume they can tell me because when I explain why I want DS to do certain things or if I don't sign up for a class because he doesn't want it, that comes across as being too soft with the kid.

Hugs to you guys and thanks for providing deep insight into what my child is possibly feeling. I'm so glad there are teachers like you, Zhian. Hope to meet someone like you soon.

blob #71920 03/19/10 09:31 AM
    zhian Offline OP
    OP Offline
    blob,

I'm actually Canadian by birth, and have lived in too many countries (Germany at the moment) to label myself with a nationality. I spent some time teaching in China and I've taught Taiwanese and Japanese kids (in England) as well, so I know exactly what you mean when you say that, for what your culture expects, your son "asks too many questions". The fact that questioning, and especially questioning authority, was even more discouraged in Asia than in the West was one of the reasons I left Beijing. Good for you raising your son against that particular grain.

zhian Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by EastnWest
    Maybe you can model some "self-advocacy" for her

Hah...this might count: yesterday the lunch lady was being stupid and trying to force her to eat something she didn't like. She asked me if she really had to. I told her "You're in charge of what goes in your stomach, and don't you let anyone tell you differently!"

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM