Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    E
    E
    ...when the gifted teacher tells you to start thinking about middle school now (your child is in third grade) because she's pretty sure there's nothing in your major metropolitan area that is appropriate for your child. (And she's right.)

...when you spend part of the day discussing the junior college with your 12 year old daughter, and another part reminding her to put her (neatly-lined-up) stuffed animals away.

...when the same child is excited about taking human anatomy and physiology as her science this year, and is just fine with dissection, but wants to skip "the gross parts", a.k.a. human reproduction.

...when your other 12yo's weird behavior is nothing pathological, just his adaptation to life with the rest of the family.

Last edited by eldertree; 06/06/10 11:36 AM.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    When your ds9 spells 'preposterously' correctly, but puts an extra k into 'picky'!

V
    V
    When one day you are reading about literature/Shakespeare/psychology/other advanced things, and the next you can't remember what you did with your DS/shoes/shiny thing. Also, when you are having an emotional outburst because you can't decipher Shakesperian sonnets (trust me, I've done that before).

V
    V
    Originally Posted by sajechma
    .... you are fairly certain your child will still have training wheels at the age of ten because when asked if he would like to learn to go without this summer he responds, "I don't think that would be a very good idea, I could crack my skull and damage my brain and lose all my knowledge. We should probably wait until I am at least five or maybe six."

That is funny Mamabird! We ran into similar problems with my now 9DD. She still is not comfortable riding but no longer has training wheels. The reason? She couldn't stand the kiddie decorations on the bikes with training wheels. We still have to push and prod her to ride her bike..her response, "What do you WANT me to get hurt?" [/quote]

Yeah, that's me.

M
    M
    @ age 3 he goes from eating books to reading books in a matter of months.

@ 4 1/2 he is reading a 2nd grade book- Flat Stanley- and he can both decode and understand it....but half way through starts panicking and crying out of fear i might try to put him (ds) in an envelope and mail him.

V
    V
    I have a funny one from yesterday!

When she notices a grammatical error in Microsoft Word, but goes along with Microsoft anyway.

When she complains of not understanding anything, but the next thing you know, she's reading a book online about Indo-European literature and how some either view their culture as antagonistic, and how some view our culture antagonistic. Two minutes later, she wants to make a play about how removing authenticity from one's culture can be fatal.

When she, after a few minutes of Super Mario Galaxy 2, "discovers" that Mario defeats a couple types of enemies using the oxidation and body temperature when he spins.

When she can identify how people died on Dr.G Medical Examiner just from looking, but can't remember what she said a few minutes ago.

And yes, all of these happened yesterday.

A
    A
    your kid can to complex origami but can't tie his shoe.

L
    L
    When he notices and laments the fact that physical abilities are more highly valued by most kids his age, judging by the responses he receives to his facebook posts. At a recent cast party at a swimming pool, most of the kids were at the diving board showing off all kinds of flips and and a few flops while my son watched in the shallow end because he still doesn't swim well and doesn't want to be forced underwater by some of the other boys.

On Facebook, the actor kids were talking about how talented some of them were because they could do all kinds of cool diving moves and they are. Most of the acting kids do seem what I would call physically gifted. My son, who has a mild disability, is not gifted in this way except for his ability to do improv imitations of people with typical things they might say, accents, mannerisms, etc.

It is usually just the high school age and college age kids that really get his witty remarks so that is who he invites to his parties now. It really is okay to have older friends. Some of the kids his age made comments on Facebook like "you make my brain hurt" except for one girl who asked him if he was going to the cast party. She laughs at his jokes and tells him he is really funny. She is smart, cute and has a beautiful voice and she talks to him even though he is at the shallow end of the pool.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    When he notices and laments the fact that physical abilities are more highly valued by most kids his age, judging by the responses he receives to his facebook posts. At a recent cast party at a swimming pool, most of the kids were at the diving board showing off all kinds of flips and and a few flops while my son watched in the shallow end because he still doesn't swim well and doesn't want to be forced underwater by some of the other boys.

that is interesting.....my son is 4 1/2 and has been taking swimming lessons (some private, some small group) for a YEAR....and he still looks like he started yesterday. today at the pool i said, "of course....he can read a 3rd grade book without any reading instruction whatsoever....but after a year of swimming lessons he'd still drown if he fell in a pool."

A
    A
    Your child sits to play D&D and instead of interacting with the story, keeps figuring out how many fantastical monsters his druid can turn into. (Aspie with an animal focus)

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM