Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    I
    I
    Reading these sound so familiar and my mother would probably tell the story of when I was in middle school in a big city and rode the bus 30 minutes to school. I came home and asked her to drive me to a new friend's who'd invited me over. I didn't have my friend's phone number...or last name... or address. The directions to her house included things like "turn at the parked police car." I remember adamantly arguing that it WAS a legitimate way to find somebody's house.

Originally Posted by kimck
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    I'd almost see that as a typical gifted thing maybe not just 2e or maybe I have weird gifted kids blush! Dd#1 didn't learn to ride her bike until she was 10 -- the same year she was in 6th grade. Her concern that she was going to "fracture" her hip if she fell seemed to be a big hold up.

Oh I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe I should reassess my kids as possibly being 2E or just weird! DS especially would prefer to recite a dissertation on why he can't or shouldn't try something new than jump in and do it. He hates button shirts and laced shoes. It's all elastic pants, velcro shoes, and pull over shirts for day to day use! He did learn to ride his bike 2 wheels at 6. After basically forcing him and hours of reassurance. He's just a kid that needs a kick in the pants. Once he actually tries, he's usually good to go. He totally loves biking now.

I have a niece in 6th grade who still refuses to try and ride her bike. .

Yeah, our ds9 is like that... is there a list of 'milestones' gt kids are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY behind on ? Does it make any sense at all to put yourself on this little metal thing that offer zero protection and hurtle yourself down a hill? Probably not, and I can't convince him otherwise, yet.

E
    E
    ...when her first grade teacher gets so tired of hearing about Sonic the Hedgehog that she bans him from the classroom. And in response, your child writes and illustrates an elaborate story wherein Sonic is eaten by a hungry fox and ascends to Heaven, complete with seraphim and cherubim and mourners wearing black armbands.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    C
    C
    How about your DS8 announces "Mom, you're a guiness" when you help him fix his "fuzzlodge".

Those are "genius" and "fuselage" for the rest of us. smile

C
    C
    Lol, so much of this thread goes for all gifties, not just those who are 2e, I think. My DS6 was talking about the einosphere, this morning - turned out he meant the ionosphere.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    P
    phroggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by inky
    I didn't have my friend's phone number...or last name... or address. The directions to her house included things like "turn at the parked police car." I remember adamantly arguing that it WAS a legitimate way to find somebody's house.

So many of these are making me LOL!!!

Age-Gap parenting a 2e 12-year-old and an 8-month-old
    L
    L
    When he can figure out how to solve math problems in ways that the book doesn't show (with the least amount of writing of course) and picks up math concepts quickly but makes mistakes on easy things because the 2 he wrote was really supposed to be a 5 and he is having a "glitch day" and difficulty compensating for the motor dyspraxia/dysgraphia.

When he can express himself verbally better than a lot of adults but needs his mom (definitely not verbally gifted) to explain his disability because adults don't believe that he could be so smart and have the difficulties--that it has to be laziness and he is just making excuses.

His verbal giftedness makes him seem so mature that his adult sister forgets he is only 11 and that he might be extremely upset when she mentions that she can understand how some people commit suicide--and then doesn't answer the phone for hours. He had spent weeks trying to cheer her up after she broke up with her boyfriend and he felt so worried and helpless when she wouldn't answer the phone after making the comment that he cried and thought he might have said something wrong, but he was able to convey his feelings about the incident very well in the tongue lashing he gave her and he didn't let her just laugh it off. I heard him tell her several times, "It isn't funny!" and "No, you are not going back to sleep. I didn't get any sleep last night because I was worried about you." This went on for hours and afterwards, my daughter sheepishly said she couldn't believe she was in so much trouble with an 11 year old.

Talks like an adult but still can't drink grape juice without getting a purple moustache.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by coelacanth
    How about your DS8 announces "Mom, you're a guiness" when you help him fix his "fuzzlodge".

Those are "genius" and "fuselage" for the rest of us. smile

There's a comment in one of Terry Pratchett's books about his protagonist often mispronouncing words because she's learned them by reading, rather than hearing, them. My daughter felt an immediate kinship when she saw that.

Last edited by eldertree; 03/19/10 01:14 PM.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    P
    phroggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    he is having a "glitch day" and difficulty compensating for the motor dyspraxia/dysgraphia.

Ohhh, we might have to "steal" this expression. A "glitch day." I like it!

Age-Gap parenting a 2e 12-year-old and an 8-month-old
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by eldertree
    ...when her first grade teacher gets so tired of hearing about Sonic the Hedgehog that she bans him from the classroom. And in response, your child writes and illustrates an elaborate story wherein Sonic is eaten by a hungry fox and ascends to Heaven, complete with seraphim and cherubim and mourners wearing black armbands.

Edit: Looking at another thread, is your girl older now... oh well, I'll leave it as-is

Is your little kid really a big Sonic fan? I go as far as writing informal guides to Sonic games and posting them on the net and I'm 27... Does she know that Sonic 4 is coming out soon?

Anyway, I am very talented with images, I created these two animations from scratch, your kid would like them:

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt167/Angnix/Soniclittle.gif

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt167/Angnix/creamani2.gif[

You know you are a 2e adult when...

Last edited by Angnix; 03/20/10 03:46 PM.
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM