Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Originally Posted by spiritedmama
    ds9 is getting dressed for cub scouts and dad asks "why aren't you buttoning your shirt"

ds "I can't"

dh "you go to a gifted school but you can't button your own shirt....."
    I'd almost see that as a typical gifted thing maybe not just 2e or maybe I have weird gifted kids blush! Dd#1 didn't learn to ride her bike until she was 10 -- the same year she was in 6th grade. Her concern that she was going to "fracture" her hip if she fell seemed to be a big hold up.
    Haha...Or my 5 year old telling me he doesn't want to play t-ball because he might trip and fall really hard on his head and crack his skull.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    I'd almost see that as a typical gifted thing maybe not just 2e or maybe I have weird gifted kids blush! Dd#1 didn't learn to ride her bike until she was 10 -- the same year she was in 6th grade. Her concern that she was going to "fracture" her hip if she fell seemed to be a big hold up.

Oh I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe I should reassess my kids as possibly being 2E or just weird! DS especially would prefer to recite a dissertation on why he can't or shouldn't try something new than jump in and do it. He hates button shirts and laced shoes. It's all elastic pants, velcro shoes, and pull over shirts for day to day use! He did learn to ride his bike 2 wheels at 6. After basically forcing him and hours of reassurance. He's just a kid that needs a kick in the pants. Once he actually tries, he's usually good to go. He totally loves biking now.

I have a niece in 6th grade who still refuses to try and ride her bike. She's might be the most GT of my kid's cousins.

My favorite example is a quote from my brother about my nephew years ago. He's not 2e, but he is gifted.

"He's the only kid I know who reads an entire Vietnam War reference book in the first grade but still doesn't know how to wipe his own butt!"

I'm glad to know we're not the only ones with an ultra cautious child. My ds6 is so reluctant to try new things, and he always assumes the worst is going to happen. He's afraid of trying new things, even ones that are not dangerous, because he can't stand failure and knows how frustrated he gets. He still doesn't know how to tie his shoes, button his shirts, or ride a bike. I feel like a terrible parent sometimes knowing my child can't do these things yet, but it's tough to always have to push him. He definitely needs the nudge, and he often does just fine once you force him to try something. If we waited for him to ask to try something new, he'd never get there. It's truly awesome and totally worth it though to witness his feeling of confidence and pride when he tries and succeeds.

...when he gets in trouble in school for asking a lot of great questions but never raising his hand.

P
    phroggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by zhian
    I love the quark thing!! What did he do - bounce around the room trying to latch on to other quarks to form bosons?

I'm betting also that he was a strange quark (literally - there are six types of quarks, one of them is called "strange").

I don't know how he did it...he chose to leave that up to my imagination. LOL

I agree that it IS good to know we're not alone in this uphill battle.

Before my son's SLD diagnoses of ADP and dysgraphia, etc, my husband used to be astounded that DS12 didn't know his own address...at least not without lots of thinking and prompting. Now, when Hubby gets frustrated at such things, I tell him, "the kid has a working memory in the one percentile!" to which he responds, "I'll buy that when he stops memorizing video game cheat codes!" Touche!

Age-Gap parenting a 2e 12-year-old and an 8-month-old
    P
    phroggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by JenSMP
    "He's the only kid I know who reads an entire Vietnam War reference book in the first grade but still doesn't know how to wipe his own butt!"

LOL
    That's a great one!

Age-Gap parenting a 2e 12-year-old and an 8-month-old
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by JenSMP
    I'm glad to know we're not the only ones with an ultra cautious child. My ds6 is so reluctant to try new things, and he always assumes the worst is going to happen.
    Yes, my oldest is both ultra cautious and a drama queen at times. A few years ago, her sister smacked her in the head and dd#1 held her head and moaned, "my brain! It's damaged!"

J
    J
    When I dropped off my DS10 at school ths morning a boy in class said hello and DS didn't respond. I took him aside and asked why he didn't say hello back. DS said "I'm working up to it, I am just trying to decide what tone of voice to use when I say it". Of course, the boy who had said hello was now miles away and moved on to another conversation.

I have another one: all the rolls of tape, blank paper books, graph paper books, and mechanical pencils are in use or used up from Christmas, yet the hot wheels cars and action figures are still in their plastic or covered in dust....

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM