Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 209 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    P
    phroggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    I thought we could have a good laugh by adding fun stories to this thread. Here's mine:

You know you have a 2e child when they have a mime visit the classroom who assigns each child to "become" an object ("be a tree" so the child stands and "whooshes" his arms back and forth like a tree blowing in the wind) and your child is assigned to "be a cork" but becomes a "quark" instead...as in a neutron particle. And he's then proud because "nobody could guess what I was, Mom!"
    missing the point of the activity entirely!

I don't know whether to laugh or *sigh*

Age-Gap parenting a 2e 12-year-old and an 8-month-old
    You know you have a 2e child when he knows every dungeon, city, country, continent, and how they are connected by flight paths in the World of Warcraft game, yet sits silently for 30 seconds before answering what his own address is.

He can tell you the names, colors and sounds of the roads for 50 miles around, but doesn't know what color his teacher's hair is. (yes, roads have different colors...)

S
    S
    ds9 is getting dressed for cub scouts and dad asks "why aren't you buttoning your shirt"

ds "I can't"

dh "you go to a gifted school but you can't button your own shirt....."

C
    C
    Originally Posted by spiritedmama
    ds9 is getting dressed for cub scouts and dad asks "why aren't you buttoning your shirt"

ds "I can't"

I'd almost see that as a typical gifted thing maybe not just 2e or maybe I have weird gifted kids blush! Dd#1 didn't learn to ride her bike until she was 10 -- the same year she was in 6th grade. Her concern that she was going to "fracture" her hip if she fell seemed to be a big hold up.

T
    T
    ...your dd9 spends 2 hours almost scientifically figuring out how to write the fewest possible words to complete a reading comprehension assignment, when it would have taken 15 minutes, tops, to regurgitate what the teacher wanted her to say in the first place (you know, the type of assignment that goes, "Read the passage. Answer the questions about the passage. Use complete sentences. Q: Why was Timmy sad? A: Timmy was sad because...")

DD9 has ADHD and is probably borderline dysgraphic, but no official diagnosis there. She hates the physical act of handwriting and tries to minimize it whenever possible.

P
    phroggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by eema
    - your child debates whether he is the smartest dumb kid or the dumbest smart kid in the grade

*groan*

Age-Gap parenting a 2e 12-year-old and an 8-month-old
    H
    H
    Originally Posted by Trillium
    ...your dd9 spends 2 hours almost scientifically figuring out how to write the fewest possible words to complete a reading comprehension assignment, when it would have taken 15 minutes, tops, to regurgitate what the teacher wanted her to say in the first place (you know, the type of assignment that goes, "Read the passage. Answer the questions about the passage. Use complete sentences. Q: Why was Timmy sad? A: Timmy was sad because...")

DD9 has ADHD and is probably borderline dysgraphic, but no official diagnosis there. She hates the physical act of handwriting and tries to minimize it whenever possible.

This is my DS7.

N
    N

ds "I can't"

grin

I have one of those!

I love the quark thing!! What did he do - bounce around the room trying to latch on to other quarks to form bosons?

I'm betting also that he was a strange quark (literally - there are six types of quarks, one of them is called "strange").

R
    R
    My DD7 and homework..
    Mom: "Go ahead into your room and work on your (ultra easy) homework assignment."
    DD7: "OK"
    30 minutes later, not a word on the page.
    Mom:"Whats going on?"
    DD7: "I am worrying about what will happen if i don't get my homework done."

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM